Chance WeldonAdministrator
(Distinguished Expert)
06/29/19 07:27 PM
Completed a dream handgun - MGM 460 S&W Encore

As I've mentioned numerous times, the 460 S&W was the cartridge that got me into handgun hunting. Despite the issues I had early on as a result of trying to learn to shoot with such a potent round, I've always been fond of the cartridge. However, It's become quite apparent that the cartridge has a lot of potential that isn't quite utilized even in my massive 14" Performance Center Model 460.

For a few years now, I've toyed with the notion of building a 460 S&W Encore. I had traded for a used factory barrel, but I didn't like it much. Its thin taper and lack of a brake meant even reduced loads kicked a little more than I liked, to say nothing of full power loads. I'd wanted to have MatchGradeMachine make a barrel, but just had other things going on. This year, I decided to finally pull the trigger.

The original plan was to place the order at the end of summer and get it in early fall, but I had two things go in my favor. First, my tax refund was almost double what it was last year, and MGM was offering a decent discount, so I ordered the barrel earlier than intended. Also, I managed to sell off a bit of unused hunting and shooting equipment on Gunbroker. It just came in yesterday.

- 15" long barrel
- Full bull contour
- Big bore brake
- 1-20" twist
- Hexagonal fluting
- Steel picatinny base
- USMC red Cerakote

Additionally, this build utilizes a Nikon Force XR 2.5-8x28mm scope, a Pachmayr grip, and 12 gauge Flex-Tech forend.

MGM recommends against the 460 S&W on their website because people complain about their barrels being inaccurate, a sentiment I've seen shared by 460 Encore owners elsewhere online. They believe that weak aluminum mounting systems and less robust scopes are to blame. For that reason, I had them install a steel, supported picatinny-style, six hole base. Past experience has shown that my preferred scope, the Nikon Force XR, is more than capable of handling heavy recoil, but just to be safe I used two pairs of Warne Maxima rings.

This is probably going to be my last big build for a while, as well as one of my dream handguns, so I wanted to make it look good. The red on black look is one of my favorite aesthetics. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with how the build turned out.

REDHAWK1954
(Pooh-Bah)
06/29/19 08:43 PM
Re: Completed a dream handgun - MGM 460 S&W Encore

Very nice. I bet you can reach out and touch a deer with that.

Randy M
(veteran)
06/29/19 08:45 PM

Mercy, that thing screams ?muscle?! Congrats on the build. I almost feel sorry for all the critters you?ll chase with it. Almost.

Franchise
(Distinguished Expert)
06/30/19 01:10 AM

That is badass!!! I bet with that brake it'll shoot like a dream

45MAN
(Pooh-Bah)
06/30/19 01:17 AM

VERY NICE AND WELL THOUGHT OUT, WAITING FOR A RANGE REPORT.

Okie Hunter
(old hand)
06/30/19 01:30 AM

I like it. Red and black looks good. Congrats.

Mark Hampton
(old hand)
06/30/19 01:34 AM

Nice looking T/C! Should be a real thumper.

ruger4570
(addict)
06/30/19 05:31 AM

Nice looking build. Can't wait to see how it shoots.

KRal
(Shootist)
06/30/19 07:25 AM

Beautiful hammer, Chance. May I make one suggestion? See if those forearm inserts are removable and if so, have them dipped red...😎 that would put the icing on the cake! And...no, I don?t mind spending other people?s money😜.

karl
(old hand)
06/30/19 01:18 PM

Very nice! What do you expect to get for performance (weight and velocity) with that?
I hear you on the factory large bore performance. I placed an order last month for a custom bull 45-70 barrel. I found my factory tapered 45-70 barrel was very accurate for 2 shot cold bore groups and then started shifting. Hot bore groups would be nice but 6-8 inches from the cold bore poi. I have a coated steel 6 hole base on a bead blasted SS barrel. I hope the coating will conform enough to act as a bedding compound to help lock it all together. Let us know how it shoots!

Zee
(Gun Slinger)
06/30/19 04:08 PM

Definitely a unique beast!

I do love mine. MGM does good work.

longhunter
(addict)
06/30/19 05:45 PM

Very nice!

KYODE
(Shooting Expert)
06/30/19 08:30 PM

Glad you could get ?the dream?. Thats great!

Im a bigger fan of the rifle cartridge handguns.

abner
(member)
06/30/19 09:18 PM

Wow! Very nice.

billa
(old hand)
06/30/19 10:16 PM

Wow what a hammer this one is. Your custom dream gun is unique and distinctive for you. You can take on anything that walks the planet with this beast. I agree that a tool like this can get all there is out of the 460 round. Enjoy!!!

EricS
(enthusiast)
06/30/19 10:33 PM

Looks great. Can?t wait to see how it shoots.

Ramjet-SS
(enthusiast)
07/01/19 02:39 AM

That is really awesome looking build. I am huge fan of the 460 the brake is absolutely a must on that thumper. Looking forward to the range reports.

racksmasher1
(veteran)
07/01/19 10:59 AM

Very nice Chance!!!!

RSW
(member)
07/01/19 04:10 PM

Great looking 460! I'm looking forward to hearing about its performance on game.

PsTaN
(addict)
07/02/19 01:45 AM

Happy for you!!

Both my MGM barrels are super accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

P

Chance WeldonAdministrator
(Distinguished Expert)
07/02/19 08:30 PM

Thanks guys! I haven't managed to shoot it yet. Every afternoon that looks promising enough for a shooting session invariably gets rained out. With luck, this weekend should be different.

Originally Posted By: KRal
Beautiful hammer, Chance. May I make one suggestion? See if those forearm inserts are removable and if so, have them dipped red...😎 that would put the icing on the cake! And...no, I don?t mind spending other people?s money😜.

I've considered adding a few more red accents elsewhere, including on the inserts. Don't know how much I'd trust myself not to screw something up, though.

Originally Posted By: karl
Very nice! What do you expect to get for performance (weight and velocity) with that?

The only bullet I could begin to estimate velocity for would be the 200 grain FTXs and XPBs because I've used them most often in my Model 460. With the FTX, I get 2,500 fps even from factory loads, and 2,656 with 51.5 grains of H110, about a 150 fps increase. MGM's velocity testing with the factory load averages 2,746 fps out of a 15" barrel, so if the pattern continues, I might be able to achieve close to 2,900 fps. My 200 grain XPB load is around 2,500 fps as well, so out of the Encore it'll probably be around 2,746. As far as the heavier bullets I want to try, like the 240 grain XTP-Mag, the various XPBs, or the 325 grain A-Frame, I'll just have to try them out and see.

That said, I'm not overly concerned about achieving the maximum velocity (except with the 200 grain FTX, just because). Accuracy is king here.

Gregg RichterAdministrator
(Distinguished Expert)
07/02/19 08:49 PM

Chance, Looks really nice, I have always liked "red and black" together also, and "more red" wouldn't hurt at all!

Hawkeye
(old hand)
07/12/19 03:41 PM

Chance, that is one Bad AZZ Encore. I have been shooting a MGM 15" .460 Encore with their break for several years. The only load I use now is the Barnes 200 Grn XPB. Don't know the velocity but it shoots lights out to 200 yards, which is the end of my Gun Range. I took it deer hunting last fall but only had a Coyote come in looking for mice in a cut hay field. When I fired my friend in the blind said the coyote did a side flip in the air and landed on his back with only a quiver. Lot's of damage. Can't wait to test on deer. I put a good red dot on mine after trashing an older Simmons 2x6 scope. It has held up so far. Using three rings on it. I would like to see your rig being fired on video at dusk. HAH
Good luck with the .460.
Mike