Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203658 - 11/22/19 12:08 AM Opinions please
Embalmer883

Loc: MS Gulf Coast

This year my 10 year old decided he wanted to deer hunt. He?s set in a stand with me a couple times but never showed much interest till now. Well, I got a flesh eating bacteria in my right leg and had to have it amputated just below my knee the end of August.

My BIL has a lease and has been graciously taking him. He killed his first deer (doe) with a 300blkout rifle sun morning. That set him on fire. And for Christmas he wants, ?a hunting pistol like you use dad!? Well that tickled me. So I got the ball rolling on a CVA 6.5 Creedmoor. When he told his uncle about it uncle says, ?I don?t let people hunt with a pistol up here, I don?t trust them.?

He got his first self defense pistol 2 years ago and he?s in his 60?s has no idea what a specialty pistol is or what can even be done with one. How should I go about addressing this? I?m hoping that once he sees the gun and realizes it?s basically a short rifle that he?ll come around.

#203659 - 11/22/19 12:45 AM Re: Opinions please [Re: Embalmer883]
Willicd76

Loc: Tx panhandle

1: buy your own land to hunt on where you make the rules
2: don't hunt on the uncle's place and continue to hunt with BIL
3: follow the rules your uncle set and be happy to have a place to hunt with your kid

You can't expect everyone to have the same views. I know people that don't allow bow hunting and I know people that ONLY allow bow hunting. When in Rome....

#203660 - 11/22/19 01:17 AM Re: Opinions please [Re: Willicd76]
Embalmer883

I guess it?s a little confusing but BIL and uncle is the same person.

#203661 - 11/22/19 01:36 AM Re: Opinions please [Re: Embalmer883]
BIZZMO
journeyman

Loc: california

take your uncle out target shooting and demonstrate what your hunting handgun is capable of doing.

#203662 - 11/22/19 01:45 AM Re: Opinions please [Re: BIZZMO]
sixshot
old hand

Amputate one of his legs, maybe he would choose a handgun over a rifle.........just kidding!

Dick

#203665 - 11/22/19 08:13 AM Re: Opinions please [Re: sixshot]
Embalmer883

I like the way you think six!

#203666 - 11/22/19 08:14 AM Re: Opinions please [Re: sixshot]
jcp161

What BIZZMO said. And when you do it make sure your son is with you so Uncle BIL can see how much the kid enjoys it and wants to do it.

He may soften over time once he sees it's a viable option and that your son enjoys it. If he doesn't, you've lost nothing and can search for a place you and the boy can go even with the physical limitations.

Good luck.

John

#203667 - 11/22/19 08:42 AM Re: Opinions please [Re: BIZZMO]
Ernie
Distinguished Master

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

Originally Posted By: BIZZMO
take your uncle out target shooting and demonstrate what your hunting handgun is capable of doing.

This!

#203668 - 11/22/19 09:15 AM Re: Opinions please [Re: Embalmer883]
KRal
Shootist

Loc: MS

E-883,

Sorry to hear about your leg - that?s definitely a life changer. As for your question: I?d suggest introducing your BIL to this website. There is more than enough evidence with the members here. I started my son out hunting with a handgun when he was 10 years old. I didn?t want to start him out on big game, because as everyone knows, handgun hunting is much harder than rifle hunting (he started rifle hunting at 6 years old). Kill his first deer at 7 years old with a H&R 243 rifle...

...and several more thur the age of 10, which included: 8 deer; 2 hogs; 1 ram; and a bobcat.

I bought him a ruger charger for Christmas when he was 10 and told him that was his new squirrel hunting gun. I wanted him to learn all the tricks and techniques of handgun hunting will squirrel hunting. Squirrel hunting, or any other small game, can teach you ALOT about hunting and shooting. The small target makes you concentrate on the fundamentals of marksmanship and many, many shooting position you can encounter and use while hunting. I told him once he could kill squirrels with a handgun on a regular bases, I?d step him up to deer hunting. He kill his first squirrel on his first hunt with his new charger...

..and many more...

Once he was very proficient squirrel hunting with a .22 handgun, I set up a 30/30 win contender barrel for him to deer hunt. Although, to most adults, a 30/30 win doesn?t have much recoil, to a tiny 10 year old it can give them bad habits quickly. So, I sent my barrel to magnaport and had them do their 4 port rifle porting on it and I worked up some 125 gr loads over starting loads of varget. This combo gave plenty of performance out of a package with the felt recoil of a 22 mag revolver. That summer he done lots of practice with the 30/30 win and was shooting MOA groups at 50 yards way before hunting season arrived. My plan was to have him hunting in thick areas where shots would be 50 yards or less. That first season he got his first and second deer with a handgun...

After that first year of hunting he wanted to try revolver hunting, so I set up my ruger Bisley Hunter 44 mag to accommodate a small 11 year old. Mounted a 2x scope on it and loaded some 44 special equivalent loads with a 240 gr hollow point and kept the same 50 yard shot opportunity concept and it worked out great. That year he got his first, and second deer with a revolver...

...and now he?s hooked and hasn?t hunted with a rifle since...

I think the key to success for a young handgun hunter is to set them up with the least amount of recoil as possible, but still be able to preform on deer at short range. I would suggest putting a good break on that 6.5 CM and down load it to minimum performance. It doesn?t take much to kill whitetail and shot placement is way more important than power. The worst thing than you can do with a child is get them scared of the gun they?re shooting. They will develop a flinch and loose confidence which will result in a bad shot.

I hope you can change your BIL mind - good luck.

#203669 - 11/22/19 09:39 AM Re: Opinions please [Re: KRal]
karl
old hand

Loc: Minnesota

content Online
Emballmer883, I wish you luck with your recovery from the amputation. I wonder if you could setup a prosthetic with self contained shooting sticks or built in gun rest.

Lack of trust could be related to unfamiliarity with the capabilities of hunting pistols, wanting to avoid the spray and pray shooters, or not wanting folks out in the field with something that is arguably easier to shot yourself with. I think that arranging some range time would go a long ways towards educating your uncle.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
9 registered (karl, Chance Weldon, Wheelguns1961, Steve in PA, Desert Rat 45, Randy M, 1 invisible) and 141 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
Franchise
pab1
Chance Weldon
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
6.8 SPC Buck
6.8 SPC Buck

2008 Handgun Blast
2008 Handgun Blastn'Blab Shoots and Competitions

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.