Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200669 - 07/14/19 08:12 AM Re: Practice with "HUNTING LOADS" [Re: abner]
45MAN
veteran

Loc: brownsville, texas

I AM HAVING A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING WHAT THE QUESTION IS. ANY TIME YOU GET IN TRIGGER TIME IT IS "PRACTICE". YOU CAN CERTAINLY PRACTICE FOR A HUNT BY USING SIMILAR, AND LIGHTER KICKING, GUNS, OR THE SAME GUN WITH THE SAME, SIMILAR OR LIGHTER LOADS/CHEAPER BULLETS. I DO "PRACTICE" WITH MY ACTUAL HUNTING LOADS IN MY ACTUAL INTENED HUNTING REVOLVER BUT VERY SPARINGLY, AND MOSTLY SHOOTING TO SIGHT IN. MY REVOLVER PRACTICE/HUNTING LOADS FOR/DURING DEER SEASON AND/OR FOR HOGS, ARE DIFFERENT THAN FOR A BIG GAME HUNT.

#200671 - 07/14/19 10:18 AM Re: Practice with "HUNTING LOADS" [Re: 45MAN]
Zee
Gun Slinger

Quality training is quality training and fundamentals is fundamentals. You can practice them with a .22lr or a .500 JRH.

Familiarity with the particular idiosyncratic nature of a certain firearm/load can be beneficial if there is a stark difference in how the platform handles. But, 10 rounds of hot ammo verses 20 rounds of standard ammo in a training session? Well, I guess it just depends on what your training objective is.

I had my boy practice all summer with reduced powder 110gr .308 Win loads that were powder puff in the bolt action Specialty Pistol. But, he could stack them on top of one another at 100 yards from a field rest and not bat an eye in recoil. Adding to that, the practice with a Ruger .22lr Charger Pistol.

On game day, I put a 125gr SST load in the chamber that had more weight, velocity, and recoil, but which I knew had the same POI as the reduced load (I tested the results). He made a PERFECT shot on his deer and to this day.........has no clue I swapped ammo on him. He was so focused on the fundamentals that he didn?t realize the recoil difference.

Not saying you have to practice with less. Just that, if you do it right, practice is practice.

I just did the ?ballistic research? and load development FOR him. 😁

#200672 - 07/14/19 12:32 PM Re: Practice with "HUNTING LOADS" [Re: Zee]
Teep
journeyman

Loc: MO

I think a lot is what level you are at. Having returned to handgun hunting only three years ago I find that the 617 .22lr gives me much needed trigger time that is affordable and the transition to the 686 .357 magnum works quite well. When game is in the sights it is the feel of the revolver that is familiar and the recoil is never thought of or felt. Confidence goes a long way when hunting. I know that at my age I will never be as good as I was when young and really need a rest to shoot accurately and the more I can shoot the better I am prepared for hunting. Now, where is that darn coyote?

#200673 - 07/14/19 01:31 PM Re: Practice with "HUNTING LOADS" [Re: Teep]
45MAN
veteran

WELL SAID ZEE

#200674 - 07/14/19 02:08 PM Re: Practice with "HUNTING LOADS" [Re: 45MAN]
sw282
addict

Loc: CSRA of GA/SC

DRY FIRING is great practice.. And cheap TOO!!

Jeff Cooper once said that for every LIVE round fired he had

also ''fired'' at least TEN dry rounds

#200675 - 07/14/19 02:44 PM Re: Practice with "HUNTING LOADS" [Re: sw282]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Originally Posted By: sw282
DRY FIRING is great practice.. And cheap TOO!!

Jeff Cooper once said that for every LIVE round fired he had

also ''fired'' at least TEN dry rounds

Dry firing with snap caps is the way to go when you can`t get to the range. Before a hunt I would find pictures of the animal I was going for in sporting mags and tap them to the wall. I would try and find as many photos of different positions and aim for the vitals.
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#200676 - 07/14/19 04:53 PM Re: Practice with "HUNTING LOADS" [Re: jamesfromjersey]
45MAN
veteran

WHILE ON SAFARI I WOULD "SHOOT" A BUNCH WITH SNAP CAPS TO GET IN SOME TRIGGER TIME.

#200680 - 07/14/19 11:23 PM Re: Practice with "HUNTING LOADS" [Re: 45MAN]
sixshot
old hand

When my daughter was 14 years old she drew her first elk tag. I had bought her a Remington 722 in 308 caliber & all summer I had her practice shooting cast bullets at steel targets. We would walk out the back door of the house, make sure none of the horses were in the way & then I would have her walk to the end of the car port, sit down quickly & knock down the steel Silhouette targets with the reduced loads.
She got so she could do it quite fast with the 170 gr cast bullets. On opening morning of her elk hunt we were in a favorite canyon with a friend who had his 16 year old son along for his first elk hunt. We had split up & the elk were bugling all around us.
It wasn't long before a 5X5 bull walked out of the Aspens & looked down at our horses. Now she was shooting a 150 gr Hornady for the very first time, one shot at about 75 yds & she had her first elk. Ten minutes later our young friend killed a 6X6 bull.

Dick

#200683 - 07/15/19 12:35 AM Re: Practice with "HUNTING LOADS" [Re: sixshot]
Bob Roach
old hand

Loc: Missouri Ozarks

I do shoot my hunting loads a great deal through out the year.
I also shoot a lot of 22 LR through my Contender Super 14 barrel. Economical Trigger Time. I live 10 mile from the Range, and it is on my way to town, and also on my way home from town. I can shoot any time I want to, which is a big help.

This was my Steel Challenge weekend. I shot a couple hundred rounds through my 617 S&W Saturday, and I shot my GP100 with +P 38 Specials today. Not the recoil of my 480 SRH, but still quality trigger time.

Some dedicated position shooting to simulate hunting shots needs to be rolled in as well.

Bob R

#200688 - 07/15/19 09:51 AM Re: Practice with "HUNTING LOADS" [Re: Bob Roach]
karl
addict

Loc: Minnesota

What Zee said x2

If I can, I work up a ballistically equivalent load with a cheaper bullet for range practice.

I also mount a different barrel 22lr, 17 HMR or 223 for contender practice. Most of my hunting is with a scoped contender/encore so that is relatively easy to transition back and forth.

I had the contender out for the first time in ages with a 223 barrel on it. First 100yd groups were ~2.5". After most of a 50 rnd box of cheap factory loads and focusing on technique, they were closing in on an inch. That technique transfers between any of my barrels and to some degree to the encore too. Now to get out on a regular basis for the next couple months to develop train the muscle memory.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
0 registered and 144 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Franchise
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Listening for the
Listening for the Train

The Super Blackhaw
The Super Blackhawk Hunter

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.058 seconds in which 0.014 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.