Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199209 - 04/25/19 08:43 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

I?m pretty sure you are limited to two handguns. It?s easy enough to find out. I agree with Rey, stalking close is where the fun begins - at least that?s why I do this.

I brought my .500 JRH for DG and the .454 for plains game, but either could have fulfilled both roles. I planned it that way.

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#199210 - 04/25/19 08:46 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: old colt]
Whitworth
Shootist

Originally Posted By: old colt
Learnt something new again re-reading this thread.. handguns must be scoped for Africa!? You're kidding.

James; you say it's no problem to remove them once at the destination... so I assume it's a travel/airlines/enter to country stipulation more than something the outfitter necessitates??

Gotta be honest, I haven't got a single-one with a scope! Traditional iron-sight shooter myself. May have to go shopping for a temporary one to at least get into country tho by the sounds of it.

An optic (scope or red dot) is required for South Africa. Not sure about the other countries. I know a few folks who remove the optics as soon as they get to their hunting destination.

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#199212 - 04/25/19 10:57 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Whitworth]
tradmark
Shooting Expert

Now you can take two and some meet and greet will tell you only one handgun. I used and have used a few times now gracy travel and their meet and greet through customs is the best. One of the reasons i love a super redhawk because a red dot a scope and irons are always available and easily switched. I have night sights on mine and that way i can use a scope or reddot at a waterhole if it might be a longer shot and i take it off at night running around or going in after anything.

#199215 - 04/25/19 12:42 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: tradmark]
45MAN
veteran

Loc: brownsville, texas

KRAL: SOME NICE SPIRAL HORNS YOU NEED TO TRY FOR, A GOOD NYALA FLANKED BY 2 GOOD BUSHBUCKS, ALL TAKEN WITH HEAVY 45 COLT LOADS (454 EQUIVALENT), IN 45 COLT CYLINDERS, IN 454 FA REVOLVERS.

#199216 - 04/25/19 12:58 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN]
billa
old hand

Loc: Central PA

My second gun for my SA trip was a Redhawk 44 Mag. Topped with a B&L 4x scope. It was a good open country option had my Contender broke down. I removed the scope when I got there and carried on my belt with iron sights. Since you are not a scope guy I suggest a no gunsmith mount with a red dot. I think the rational on the SA end is that you are bringing hunting guns not military or defense weapons. The SA police check serial numbers against your paperwork and look at the guns. Your only issues are in the airport or cities. While hunting iron sights should be fine.
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#199220 - 04/26/19 10:34 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: billa]
wvhitman
old hand

Loc: WV

I've taken 3 handguns on 9 Africa trips. Approved every time!!

#199252 - 04/28/19 07:23 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: wvhitman]
BBwheelgunner
veteran

Loc: Olympic Penninsula, WA

The planning for a hunt is half the fun, enjoy it!

I will be watching with interest and living vicariously as usual

So Much great knowledge and experience on this site. Its fun just to read the suggestions from everyone

#199258 - 04/29/19 04:11 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: BBwheelgunner]
KRal
Shootist

Loc: MS

Originally Posted By: BBwheelgunner
The planning for a hunt is half the fun, enjoy it!

I will be watching with interest and living vicariously as usual

So Much great knowledge and experience on this site. Its fun just to read the suggestions from everyone

Exactly! Which was the full intent of this thread - get as much input and compiled information in one place as possible.

#199480 - 05/05/19 11:54 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal]
Arrowflinger
stranger

Loc: California

If I can join the conversation. We are heading to South Africa in late August. My outfitter is Africa Maximum Safaris. Prices are way down compared to a couple years ago when my plans changed and I couldn?t make the trip. I will give everyone a report when I return. My fianc? and I were told we could take two guns apiece. We are taking two pistols. An XP in 6.5 Saum and an HS in 7 Saum.
I went over in 2005 on a bow hunting safari and some of the prices were the same or higher back then! Our trip will be all spot n stock and we are really looking forward to this trip.
KRal, no matter what guns you choose. Animals you take. Africa is a magical place you will never forget and will more than likely return too.
Derek. >>>???->

#199481 - 05/05/19 12:05 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: Arrowflinger]
Whitworth
Shootist

Originally Posted By: Arrowflinger

KRal, no matter what guns you choose. Animals you take. Africa is a magical place you will never forget and will more than likely return too.
Derek. >>>???->

This sentiment I agree with 1,000 %!

Good luck to you, Derek. Look forward to a full report upon your return!

Semper Fidelis

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
0 registered and 136 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Franchise
Chance Weldon
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Two American Class
Two American Classics

30-30 Winchester
30-30 Winchester

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.06 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.