Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199002 - 04/17/19 08:13 AM Africa Plains Game Hunt
KRal
Shootist

Loc: MS

I'm in the preliminary stages of planning an African Safari (Researching Outfitters) and since it's in the off-season, hopefully this will spark some conversation. I haven't nailed down exactly what I want to hunt yet, but do have several ideas. Being that I'll be on a poor-boy budget - I won't be able to hunt everything I'd like to. One of my thought's is a Spiral-Horn Slam: Kudu; Nyala; Eland; and Bushbuck. Other interest that are high on my list are; Gemsbok; Impala; Wildebeest (Blue and Black); Warthog; Zebra; Waterbuck; and Springbok. I wouldn't be against other animals of opportunity.

I'm interested in experiencing all the methods of hunting in Africa: Safari-style; spot-n-stalk; setting in blinds over waterholes...etc. I'm also planning on trying to video the hunt if possible - which I know will not be easy (my wife may take up my slack here). I'm primarily wanting to hunt with revolvers, but I'm not against carrying a single shot along. I have: 41 mag; 44 mag; 45 Colt; 454 Casull; 480 Ruger; and 475 Linebaugh calibers to choose from in revolvers. some of those are scoped, some red-dots, and some iron sights. In the encore platform I have 308 Winchester (2x7 burris)and 270 Winchester (4x12 burris) barrels.

With the given info, I'd love to hear recommendations/comments on outfitters you've used, recommendations on revolver/caliber, recommendations on encore calibers, along with bullets recommendations and preferred time of year to hunt.

I really value the veteran Africa hunters opinions here and look forward to a good discussion. Any helpful tips as far as getting guns into country or anything else I may have missed will also be greatly appreciated.

If there's bad experience you've encountered and don't want to post publicly, please PM me so as to steer clear of them.

#199003 - 04/17/19 09:03 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal]
JDK
enthusiast

Loc: Texas Hill Country

I can?t offer any advice, except to read Billa?s three-part story on his African hunt. It looked like a great time. Other than that, enjoy every minute from Planning to returning and telling us all about it! Most of us will never make that dream hunt, so make the most of every second!

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#199004 - 04/17/19 09:53 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: JDK]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

KRAL: JUST A QUICK POST, 1) YOUR ANIMAL LIST IS FULL OF HIGH DOLLAR ANIMALS, 2) LEAVE THE WATERBUCK AND WILDEBEEST FOR ANOTHER TIME, 3) MAKE SURE KUDU AND GEMSBOK ARE AVAILABLE ON YOUR HUNT, 4) IMPALA AND WARTHOGS ARE AFFORDABLE AND USUALLY AVAILABLE IN MOST PLACES, 5) FOR PLAINS GAME WITH HANDGUNS YOUR OPTIONS ARE PROBABLY SOUTH AFRICA AND MAYBE ZIMBABWE, 6) HUNTING FROM PERMANENT BLINDS IS NOT "TRADITIONAL" AFRICAN, HUNTING FROM "HIDES" MADE OUT OF/USING NATURAL BRUSH, SET UP AS AND WHEN REQUIRED, CAN BE "TRADITIOINAL". 7) OTHER THAN USING THE OCASSIONAL HIDE, YOU USUALLY DRIVE AROUND AND CAN EITHER SHOOT FROM THE VEHICLE OR GET OFF AND DO SPOT AND STALK, THE LATTER BEING MY FAVORITE, 8) MANY OF THE OUTFITTERS HUNT OTHER PEOPLE'S RANCHES, AND MORE THAN 1 OF THEM, AND 9) THERE ARE GUYS HERE THAT CAN PROBABLY GIVE YOU GOOD REFERENCES, BASED UPON RECENT EXPERIENCES, FOR OUTFITTERS.

#199014 - 04/17/19 11:08 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN]
old colt
stranger

content Online
Following this one closely.. I've got intentions to do the same in the coming few years time. Myself, I am most interested in Kudu & Gemsbok, maybe a Warthog, and possibly impala. That's as far as I got with my own list for Africa thus far.

Intend to do mine with my 41

#199015 - 04/17/19 11:18 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: old colt]
Mark Hampton
addict

Loc: Missouri

Kim, If South Africa is your destination, there are many, many outfitters marketing hunts. And the prices for game in SA are the lowest I've seen in a number of years. At the SCI Convention, I will guess there are 40-50 outfitters from SA alone. Most offer good hunting opportunities.

Only you can determine which animals turn your crank. My suggestion -- sell a kidney, rob a bank (Just kidding!) borrow money, deplete the kid's college fund, or whatever it takes to shoot all you possibly can.

Take whatever gun/guns you feel most comfortable shooting. Depending on your location or animals preferred, your shooting distance may vary.

Fair warning -- Africa is addictive. I've never used drugs but they may have been cheaper than 29 hunts in Africa!!

#199016 - 04/17/19 11:20 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: 45MAN]
KRal
Shootist

JDK, thanks for the read reference, but I?m afraid I probably read every article and forum ever written on handgun hunting Africa....lol. Just hoping to get a good compilation of info here.

REY, thanks for the quick spill. Any particular reason you not suggest hunting waterbuck or wildebeest?

#199018 - 04/17/19 11:49 AM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal]
KRal
Shootist

Thanks for the advice, Mark. I'm intending to make what may be my one and only opportunity to hunt Africa, worth it. I'm thinking 6-8 animals, if possible.

#199020 - 04/17/19 12:17 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Good for you.... Wish I was going ? Get what you can. The last two times I went I had to have my revolvers scoped when applying for the permits. When I got there I removed them and installed the iron sights... The laws are always changing.. Go through a company like Air 2000...
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#199022 - 04/17/19 12:25 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: KRal]
sixshot
addict

Kral, I think you are only allowed 2 handguns in South Africa, when I went you could take three. Also they must be scoped, can be a red dot, etc.
I wore a money belt with my money inside a plastic bag & the bag inside the money belt because of sweat. I also went to a SA bank & got one of each of the 5 SA bills so I could frame them. They have the big 5 animals on them, makes a nice "trophy" when put in a picture frame. Shoot a couple of extra animals, you'll be glad you did!!!

Dick

#199025 - 04/17/19 12:48 PM Re: Africa Plains Game Hunt [Re: sixshot]
wvhitman
old hand

Loc: WV

For PH. No contest. Andrew Renton of Keiriverhuntingsafaris.co.za. I've been to him my last 4 times. Quality of game unreal. Over half of animals are top 15. The worst is $35. My Cape kudu is #2. He loves handgun hunters. His prices are very reasonable. Polite, kind man that gets respect from all land owners and staff. Accomodations excellent. Has access close to 1 million acres of hunting.
My next trip will be with him.
I've taken 3 handguns on each trip. That's till OK. I take 2 XPs and one revolver with scopes. Never a problem.
Spot and stalk is Andrew's preferred method in the East Cape- no fences there. Backpack, BogPOd with PSR, and offhand shots are used the most. The African wooden tripods are not handgunner friendly.

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
4 registered (Seminole Wind, magman, Gregg Richter, tradmark) and 51 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Franchise
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Which Way to Carne
Which Way to Carnegie Hall?

King of the Woods
King of the Woods

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.