Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198998 - 04/16/19 10:21 PM Re: Longest handgun varmint kill question. [Re: Randy M]
Ernie
Distinguished Master

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

I have been blessed to have a number of opportunities at distance.
With an iron sighted 44 S&W revolver around 125 yards on a small prairie dog. Took less than 2 cylinders. Only time I had intentionally tried to kill a pd with a iron sighted revolver.
It was fun though.
With specialty pistols, I have killed more than a handful of pd's beyond 1000 yards, while Erik took two down over a grand on one short outing.
Over 1400 yards three or four. Beyond a mile, I have only hit one.
I killed several beyond 300 yards with a 22 lr clone Charger.
Lately, I have been doggin under 500 yards most of the time.
Still have 2K+ pding on my mind though....

#199000 - 04/17/19 12:21 AM Re: Longest handgun varmint kill question. [Re: Ernie]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Master

Loc: Colorado

At Ernie's shoot in wyoming, I made the longest shot of my life. 1,176 yards on a steel prairie dog with a specialty pistol. For a live prairie dog, I used a 20 Vartarg and got one at just over 350 yards with a specialty pistol that belonged to one of the guys at that same shoot. I had a riot at Ernie's shoot, and believe it is something everyone should do at least once. I now have my own XP100 in a .284 and absolutely love it.

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.

#199081 - 04/19/19 01:02 PM Re: Longest handgun varmint kill question. [Re: Raptortrapper]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

IT IS RUMORED THAT A TEXAN FROM UP AMARILLO WAY SHOT A PD FROM AMARILLO CLEAR OVER IN NEW MEXICO, WITH "ONE OF THEM FUNNY PISTOLS". I HAVE TRIED TO VERIFY THE INCIDENT BUT THE LIST OF SUPPOSED SHARPSHOOTERS THAT DID THIS IS TOO LONG. I DID NOT REALIZE THAT THERE WERE THAT MANY SUPER GOOD LONG RANGE PISTOL SHOOTERS IN TEXAS, WHAT AN AMAZING STATE (OF MIND).

#199082 - 04/19/19 01:26 PM Re: Longest handgun varmint kill question. [Re: 45MAN]
Ernie
Distinguished Master

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
IT IS RUMORED THAT A TEXAN FROM UP AMARILLO WAY SHOT A PD FROM AMARILLO CLEAR OVER IN NEW MEXICO, WITH "ONE OF THEM FUNNY PISTOLS". I HAVE TRIED TO VERIFY THE INCIDENT BUT THE LIST OF SUPPOSED SHARPSHOOTERS THAT DID THIS IS TOO LONG. I DID NOT REALIZE THAT THERE WERE THAT MANY SUPER GOOD LONG RANGE PISTOL SHOOTERS IN TEXAS, WHAT AN AMAZING STATE (OF MIND).

That made me smile.
Thank you!

#199083 - 04/19/19 02:45 PM Re: Longest handgun varmint kill question. [Re: Ernie]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

ERNIE:

BEING TEXAN AND NOT AN EXAGGERATER IS TUFF WORK, FORTUNEATELY I AM NOT A FISHERMAN SO DO NOT HAVE A LOT OF PRACTICE LYING, AND I AM NOT A GOLFER EITHER SO DO NOT HAVE A LOT OF PRACTICE CHEATING.

#199141 - 04/20/19 11:55 PM Re: Longest handgun varmint kill question. [Re: 45MAN]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Master

You won't have to go far to find proof of my steel prairie dog shot. Ernie was my spotter!!

I'll never forget the time spent at that shoot. I learned a lot about technique, scopes, and even different shooting positions. Can't thank you enough for your help Ernie.

#199145 - 04/21/19 10:05 AM Re: Longest handgun varmint kill question. [Re: Raptortrapper]
Ernie
Distinguished Master

Originally Posted By: Raptortrapper
You won't have to go far to find proof of my steel prairie dog shot. Ernie was my spotter!!

I'll never forget the time spent at that shoot. I learned a lot about technique, scopes, and even different shooting positions. Can't thank you enough for your help Ernie.

Since you are a Colorado guy, he wasn't referring to you.
There were many folks watching the steel prairie dog shooting that was around 1172-give or take 5 yards depending where you were shooting from and the 1590 yard gong shooting last year.
We will miss you this year.
I should have just over 30 shooters this year-Largest group ever

#199147 - 04/21/19 08:08 PM Re: Longest handgun varmint kill question. [Re: Ernie]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Master

Yeah I know he wasn't referring to me. Sure had a riot up there. I'll never forget that gong either. But the prairie dog was my first long shot, so that one really sticks with me. Hopefully make it back again next year.

#199152 - 04/22/19 01:18 AM Re: Longest handgun varmint kill question. [Re: Raptortrapper]
Chance Weldon Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Martin, Tennessee

No way I can compete with some of you guys. My farthest varmint kill is a coyote at about 40 yards with a 460.

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

#199156 - 04/22/19 10:26 AM Re: Longest handgun varmint kill question. [Re: Chance Weldon]
Ernie
Distinguished Master

Originally Posted By: Chance Weldon
No way I can compete with some of you guys. My farthest varmint kill is a coyote at about 40 yards with a 460.

It doesn't matter, how short or long your shots are or how many you have killed...The main question is, are you having fun???

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
4 registered (Seminole Wind, magman, Gregg Richter, tradmark) and 51 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Franchise
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Gallagher .475 Sin
Gallagher .475 Single Action

First blood for 10
First blood for 10mm Glock

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.015 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.