Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193220 - 06/21/18 03:28 PM Australian Handgun Hunting Law Change?
jamautry
journeyman

Loc: Cypress Texas

I previously hunted in Australia with Hunt Australia. The owner unfortunately passed away a few years ago so I was looking at different companies. I ran across Australian Outfitters. I looked at their webpage and found a link to the Northern Territory Police pdf for importing a firearm. I was thinking about a hunt with a 45-70 levergun, but looking at the form it seems to indicate you can import category H firearms for safari hunting. The same format shows Catagory H as pistols, including revolvers. Does anyone here have more info?

Here is the link to the website, the link to the application is about halfway down their homepage.

http://www.australianoutfitters.com

#193223 - 06/21/18 06:15 PM Re: Australian Handgun Hunting Law Change? [Re: jamautry]
Walkingthemup
addict

Loc: this side of the black stump

The short answer is: email the outfitter and/or the NT Police and ask the specific question.

The long answer is more complex. The Northern Territory is a territory and not a State. It does have a legislature, but the Federal Government can disallow any law they don't approve of and impose any laws they want to. Back in 1996/97, and again around 2003, the Federal Government forced the NT to adopt anti-gun legislation. Part of those laws prevented hunting being an approved use for a handgun. Because of the safari industry, and general outback lifestyle issues, the NT didn't want this but were forced to accept it. Last time I looked that's how their legislation was still written. Somewhere along the way someone came up with the idea of handgun permits "for the purpose of the safari" ie nothing to do with hunting but rather for some undefined safari purpose(which everyone knew meant hunting) Officially recreational hunting was still a no-no. The NT is one of those places where what the law says, and what the police permit may not necessarily coincide.

The next hurdle is that import approval is not controlled by the NT Government. Importation is the jurisdiction of the Australian Border Force (Customs)ie the Federal government. There may also be restrictions on calibre. However approval from local Authorities may go a long way to smoothing out the process.

There may be an quasi-official agreement in place to allow things to happen. But you wont find it in legislation etc. Its a rubbery situation and the only way is to check direct with the outfitter and the NT Police. Good luck.

#193224 - 06/21/18 06:35 PM Re: Australian Handgun Hunting Law Change? [Re: Walkingthemup]
Walkingthemup
addict

Further to the above, from the NT Police website http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Police/Firearm...ationalVisitors

"International Visitors Permit
All persons from overseas who wish to bring Category A, B or H firearms into Australia through the Northern Territory for safari hunting or competition shooting must apply for and be issued an International Visitors Permit. No International Visitors Permit will be issued for category C (pump action or self-loading shotguns only) firearms without the applicant first obtaining approval of the Federal Government to bring the firearm into Australia. No Category D or H firearms will be considered for hunting purposes in Australia."

The last sentence above represents their official position. However still check with the outfitter. As I said, what the law states and what they actually allow, may vary.

#193225 - 06/21/18 08:24 PM Re: Australian Handgun Hunting Law Change? [Re: Walkingthemup]
jamautry
journeyman

I agree with the above to clarify but I find it interesting the form itself says the following:

A Safari Hunter application can be made for a permit to cover category A, B and H firearms only. A Sports Shooter application can be made for a permit to cover category A, B and H firearms. Consideration will be given to an application to cover category C firearms (pump action or self-loading shotguns only) where the visitor is taking part in an International or National clay target competition being held in Australia. The importation of category C firearms requires the explicit approval from the Federal Attorney General and due to the time in gaining this approval, applications for permits to cover category C firearms need to be made well in advance of the date of travel. No category D firearms will be considered for hunting purposes in Australia.

#193226 - 06/21/18 08:29 PM Re: Australian Handgun Hunting Law Change? [Re: jamautry]
jamautry
journeyman

The form I used in 2009 specifically says no importation of pistols for safari. The Northern Territory has definitely edited the form since 2009.

#193227 - 06/22/18 01:45 AM Re: Australian Handgun Hunting Law Change? [Re: jamautry]
Walkingthemup
addict

Just my interpretation, but two factors at play.
i. They are using the one form to cover both international handgun competitors and international safari participants. The competitors are definitely allowed under the legislation, whereas the safari situation is different.
ii. They are also using the one form to cover different 'Categories' of firearms when the rules are different depending on category. ie longarms vs handguns.

Now, I don't know the current situation on the ground up there. Its quite possible the people drafting forms and administering regulations don't either. In fairness to the NT Police, they are in the position of trying to administer laws that everyone knows to be both pointless and detrimental to the local economy.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
7 registered (junebug, Zee, Mark Hampton, Randy M, BRASF0311, H2OBUG, 1 invisible) and 193 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Franchise
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Why Reload Your Ow
Why Reload Your Own Ammo For Handgun Hunting?

Handguns For Disab
Handguns For Disabled Hunters

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.038 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.