Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192719 - 06/01/18 07:21 PM PA Preserves
rmocarsky
stranger

Loc: Maryland

I have been considering a trip to one of the preserves in PA (for boar and maybe some doe meat) as they have none in Maryland which is where I live.

Only thing is, according to internet opinion,they all seem about the same so . . .

I hope this is not in bad taste (if so feel free to remove it)but I would like anyone's opinion as to which preserve in PA is their favorite and why.

Also I am 66 years old and in not the best of health (bad hips) so much walking and any climbing is out of the question.

Thanks.

Rmocarsky

#192720 - 06/01/18 07:31 PM Re: PA Preserves [Re: rmocarsky]
billa
old hand

Loc: Central PA

Check out the link to the post below. This will get you started.

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthre...Search=true#top
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#192724 - 06/01/18 07:47 PM Re: PA Preserves [Re: billa]
nytracker
addict

Loc: upstate ny

Wilderness in Everett PA is a first class outfit. Good people nice lodge first class animals. Tioga preserve gets rave reviews from more than a few of our board members. I personally haven't hunted there but have visited the place a couple of times. James and racksmasher could tell you more.

Edited by nytracker (06/01/18 07:48 PM)

#192728 - 06/01/18 10:27 PM Re: PA Preserves [Re: nytracker]
rmocarsky
stranger

OP here.

OK that's Tioga and Wilderness so far. I don't think the Pig Farm has a lodge to stay/eat, but not sure.

How is the food at Tioga?

Anyone been to Whispering Hollows? How about High Ridge?

They are both in PA.

Rmocarsky

#192734 - 06/02/18 06:55 AM Re: PA Preserves [Re: rmocarsky]
dhom
addict

Originally Posted By: rmocarsky
OP here.

OK that's Tioga and Wilderness so far. I don't think the Pig Farm has a lodge to stay/eat, but not sure.

How is the food at Tioga?

Anyone been to Whispering Hollows? How about High Ridge?

They are both in PA.

Rmocarsky
I have hunted the Wilderness and High Ridge. The food and lodging at the Wilderness are much better. High Ridge is generally a bit less expensive. Either will cater to your needs and have good guides.

#192756 - 06/03/18 06:39 AM Re: PA Preserves [Re: dhom]
racksmasher1
veteran

Loc: New York

Check your PM

#193125 - 06/18/18 11:51 PM Re: PA Preserves [Re: rmocarsky]
billa
old hand

What have you concluded on your quest for a PA Preserve?

#193151 - 06/19/18 07:05 PM Re: PA Preserves [Re: billa]
rmocarsky
stranger

Billa,

I am leaning towards the Wilderness, although it is quite a drive from Baltimore, and it will probably be next year.

One thing I will do if I can is try to stay there until the meat is processed so that I do not have to make a second trip to retrieve it.

I also got on youtube and looked all I could and Whispering Hollows definitely has what looks like farm pigs.

If I wanted that, I would go to Mohr's Widowmaker island hunt which is considerably closer and less expensive.

Unfortunately all my vacation time is committed for this year.

Also, I will probably go in early fall, as I hate to freeze!

I wonder if they would allow the use of a .45 ACP for the boar. I have only taken paper with it over all these years.

Rmocarsky

Edited by rmocarsky (06/19/18 07:08 PM)
Edit Reason: addition

#193172 - 06/20/18 12:10 AM Re: PA Preserves [Re: rmocarsky]
billa
old hand

I believe you will be happy with the Wilderness. It?s a first class operation. As far as the 45 ACP goes, I believe that will be fine. If you go in the fall Before the leaves come off I would assume there will be some cover. I was there in March and it was fairly open country.
The trip from the Baltimore area to Everett should only be 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Much closer than Tioga for instance.
I would discuss your meat processing options with them in advance to see what options you have. They may cut your meat the same day. I would suggest you consider buying a vacuum bagger at Sam?s Club or WalMart and packing your own. To me that?s part of the overall hunting experience.

#193178 - 06/20/18 06:24 AM Re: PA Preserves [Re: rmocarsky]
dhom
addict

Originally Posted By: rmocarsky
Billa,

I am leaning towards the Wilderness, although it is quite a drive from Baltimore, and it will probably be next year.

One thing I will do if I can is try to stay there until the meat is processed so that I do not have to make a second trip to retrieve it.

I also got on youtube and looked all I could and Whispering Hollows definitely has what looks like farm pigs.

If I wanted that, I would go to Mohr's Widowmaker island hunt which is considerably closer and less expensive.

Unfortunately all my vacation time is committed for this year.

Also, I will probably go in early fall, as I hate to freeze!

I wonder if they would allow the use of a .45 ACP for the boar. I have only taken paper with it over all these years.

Rmocarsky
I am not sure about processing the meat but, I know they will quarter it and put it on ice for you. Again, it has good food.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
6 registered (karl, BKS, Whitworth, KRal, wyote, REDHAWK1954) and 78 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
STOLEN FREEDOM ARM
STOLEN FREEDOM ARMS MODEL 83

Double Boar Saturd
Double Boar Saturday by Swift Bullets

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.