I know most of you are very gun savvy but some are a little newer to handguns and handgun hunting. I am going to start a thread showing before and after results on my 357 Blackhawk. I decided to just copy the post I started on this project from the Tennessee Handgun Hunters group on FB. as the parts all arrive I will update the thread here as well. Here goes....

We already know that these guns are capable of 2" groups at 100 yards. The first steps to improving the accuracy of one of these guns is a thorough inspection. Obviously the first thing to check is the barrel. You should look for pitting, metal deposits, damage to the muzzle or cracks, leading or erosion at the forcing cone. In this case all of these items are in great shape.

The gun 1974 new model pre-warning blackhawk


testing accuracy with a known accuracy load at 25 yards from a rest over 3". Unacceptable from a gun that I know can shoot 2" at 100 yards.



To be continued..............

Next is the base pin. On a gun of this age wear is expected. On this particular gun there are rough spots and bumps. Close examination of the frame and cylinder reveal moderate wear on both surfaces. This results in a condition known as end shake. This is a definite detriment to accuracy. Fortunately there is a cure for this too.




Now we want to look at the cylinder gap and clearance at the gas shield which is the boss that the base pin protrudes through in to the cylinder. In this case the cyl gap is .004" and so is the gas shield clearance.
.004" is on the far end of acceptable but within limits. Gas shield clearance on a gun such as this should be between .001" and .002". This will have to be addressed but not a major issue.





Edited by reflex264 (01/10/20 06:48 PM)
_________________________
"A quiet hit in the right place is better than a loud miss in the wrong place followed by 10 more shots on the run"

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....