Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#363 - 01/31/04 04:54 PM Scopes and trigger stop screws
NewShooter
stranger

I need help again. I have a Burris 2x7 on my Encore and when I have it turned up to 7x, I have a tiny hole to look thru. My eyes aren't that good anymore and was wondering if a 3x12 would work better. Maybe put it on 8 or 9 power and get a little more eye relief. Also, what is the purpose of the trigger stop screw other than to cut up my finger every time I use a 2-handed grip! I'm shooting a .308 and it does
like to come back when I shoot. Thanks one and all the assistance again.
Newshooter

#364 - 01/31/04 05:11 PM Re: Scopes and trigger stop screws [Re: NewShooter]
KYODE
Shooting Expert

Loc: Northeast Ky.

the burris scopes shorten in eye relief, as you turn up the power. the 3x12 model will also shorten up, like your 2x7.

i have no problem with this in most instances. just bend your elbows, bringing the scope closer as you go up in x's. i like that it provides multiple eye reliefs for varying shooting positions. i find that i can't shoot a handgun nearly as accurate with my arms fully extended anyway. i even shoot my revolver with my left elbow resting on my ribcage.
the allen head screw is an overtravel stop, for adjusting how far the trigger can move rearward after firing. if you have lot's of trigger over travel after the shot, it could cause you to pull off target more.
might try changing your grip technique in some way. my 7-08 doesn't bang up my fingers. possibly extend your first 2 fingers, instead of wrapping them around behind the trigger guard.

#365 - 01/31/04 05:15 PM Re: Scopes and trigger stop screws [Re: KYODE]
NewShooter
stranger

Thanks again. I'm still learning but having much fun at the same time.

#366 - 01/31/04 07:51 PM Re: Scopes and trigger stop screws [Re: NewShooter]
Gary Administrator
Distinguished Master

Loc: Austin, TX USA

The 3x12's eye relief will shorten up as you increase power but it also lets you keep your arms extended fully out to about 9x. It doesn't get really short till you get to the higher power ranges.

#367 - 01/31/04 10:38 PM Re: Scopes and trigger stop screws [Re: NewShooter]
Stush
enthusiast

Loc: SW PA

As the others have noted, what you are observing is just the way the Burris scopes work. Most don't find it to be a problem, but it is troublesome for me. I like take my pistols to silhouette shoots on occasion and use a modified creedmore position. This position demands long eye relief. I even shot one deer this year from the creedmore postion. As a result, I have found the Bushell 3200 (or the Trophy line on a tighter budget) to be a better choice for me. The eye relief is LONG and stays constant throughout the magification range.

I just bought a 3-9X TC scope and it looks to be similar to the Bushnells in regard to eye relief. I haven't had it to the range yet, so I can't really comment too much about it. One of these days the temperature is going to break back into the double digits around here and I may get back to shooting.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
4 registered (Seminole Wind, magman, Gregg Richter, tradmark) and 51 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Franchise
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Maine bobcat
Maine bobcat

Selecting Your Fir
Selecting Your First Hunting Handgun

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.