Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205219 - 01/23/20 11:59 AM Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter [Re: karl]
BIZZMO
journeyman

Loc: california

YES! and also I don't like compressed loads and 32.8 grains with the barnes is very compressed.

#205222 - 01/24/20 09:33 AM Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter [Re: BIZZMO]
BBwheelgunner
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NW Wyoming

Originally Posted By: BIZZMO
YES! and also I don't like compressed loads and 32.8 grains with the barnes is very compressed.

and depending on what kind of brass you are running (Barnes data uses Winchester) you can't (in my experience) fit all of that H110 in Starline cases and not deform the hollowpoint pretty badly.
I wrote Barnes about my experience using starline brass and they stated that the Starline brass obviously has less case volume than the WW because they did not experience any of those issues.

The Tech did say because of the smaller case volume, less powder should create the same velocities as the larger case with higher powder charges. interesting stuff!

If you are looking to get rid of those XPBs I may know a buyer!
;\)

#205223 - 01/24/20 10:29 AM Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter [Re: BBwheelgunner]
karl
old hand

Loc: Minnesota

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BBwheelgunner

The Tech did say because of the smaller case volume, less powder should create the same velocities as the larger case with higher powder charges. interesting stuff!

If you are looking to get rid of those XPBs I may know a buyer!
;\)

Case volume with the loaded bullet plays a huge roll in velocities. If you ignite the same amount of powder in a smaller volume the pressure gets higher and pushes the bullet faster. If you ever do some extrapolating between loads and different bullets, you need to pay attention to where the back of the bullet is between the different loads and what the available volume is inside the case. As Barnes said, different case brands play a roll too. Internal ballistics in a gun is a fascinating subject with lots of nuances.

If you do want to sell the XPB's i would take a few but am not planning on shooting a lot of them.

#205224 - 01/24/20 10:39 AM Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter [Re: karl]
BIZZMO
journeyman

Loc: california

I dropped the charge from 32.8 to 28.5 and it was still compressed and I was getting the same velocity,a different brand of case won't make that much difference when you're that compressed, Barnes missed on that one,thats why you have to start low and work up!

#205225 - 01/24/20 12:02 PM Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter [Re: BIZZMO]
45MAN
Pooh-Bah

Loc: brownsville, texas

LIGHT FOR LENGTH REVOLVER BULLETS DISAPPOINT IN MV. MANY YEARS AGO I HAD BARNES MAKE ME 500 45 CAL 260gr (MAYBE THEY WERE 265gr) WFN MONO-METAL BULLETS. I COULD GET 2,000fps WITH THE FA 260gr BULLET IN AN 8 3/8ths INCH MODEL 83 BUT THAT WAS WAY TOO FAST FOR THAT BULLET SO I WAS LOOKING FOR BULLET INTEGRITY AND HIGH VELOCITY. TO MY DISAPPOINTMENT, I COULD ONLY GET THE BARNES UP TO AROUND 1,800fps, NOT BAD BUT NOT WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.

#205447 - 02/03/20 07:17 AM Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter [Re: 45MAN]
Hawkeye
old hand

Loc: Oklahoma

I will try them in my .460 Encore when I can find some. I have been shooting the Barnes XPB 200 grain copper bullet with H110 in my 460 Encore since I got it. Best accuracy, fast and hits hard. I have had no deer or hogs walk away with one of the 200grn XPB in them.
I tried heavier bullets but didn't find the accuracy. Might have tried more loads but when I have this load that does it all for me, I'm sticking with it. I wouldn't be worried to try it on Elk or game of that size. I'm not sure what velocity I'm running with the 200's but it works.
I did load some XTP's and they shot good but are a little slower according to the Hornady manual.
Mike

#205453 - 02/03/20 10:30 AM Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter [Re: Hawkeye]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: Hawkeye
I will try them in my .460 Encore when I can find some. I have been shooting the Barnes XPB 200 grain copper bullet with H110 in my 460 Encore since I got it. Best accuracy, fast and hits hard. I have had no deer or hogs walk away with one of the 200grn XPB in them.
I tried heavier bullets but didn't find the accuracy. Might have tried more loads but when I have this load that does it all for me, I'm sticking with it. I wouldn't be worried to try it on Elk or game of that size. I'm not sure what velocity I'm running with the 200's but it works.
I did load some XTP's and they shot good but are a little slower according to the Hornady manual.
Mike

Have you tried the 250 grain XPBs in your .460? I personally would be much more comfortable with that bullet over a 200 grainer on elk. JMHO.

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#205778 - 02/27/20 03:31 PM Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter [Re: 45MAN]
Western Revolver
stranger

Loc: Montana

I think you may be right. Trying to get rifle speeds out of a revolver just doesn't seem to work well. I guess we will have to see how things go with this new line.

#206647 - 05/02/20 04:51 PM Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter [Re: Western Revolver]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

I brought this topic back up with a little food for thought. I think some may learn something from this and others find this information interesting. Larry Kelly used a 200 gr bullet (208 gr to be exact) to kill a Bull Elephant with his 44 Mag..yes, the bullet was a bronze, tungsten core bullet, but it was 200 gr and penetrated the vitals of an Elephant. Depending on bullet material, weight is not always a limiting factor.

#206648 - 05/03/20 11:06 AM Re: Hornady Handgun Hunter [Re: Franchise]
BBwheelgunner
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NW Wyoming

That is interesting Franchise.

I recently read JD Jones and Larry Kelly's book "Hunting for Handgunners" (good read by the way!) and was suprised to read that Larry did a lot of his hunting exploits with fairly light weight bullets in the 44 Magunum. From what I read he used 240gr bullets pretty extensively.

I really like the concept of the Hornady Handgun hunter bullets, and I hope they do as well as they claim.

Put a tungsten core in one of those and they would be unstoppable! haha

Edited by BBwheelgunner (05/03/20 11:36 AM)

Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  Gary, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
7 registered (wyote, Hippie, KRal, karl, Vance in AK., KYODE) and 141 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
Franchise
Chance Weldon
pab1
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Rifle Scopes On Sp
Rifle Scopes On Specialty Handguns

A good start in Mi
A good start in Missouri

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.074 seconds in which 0.031 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.