Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203554 - 11/18/19 04:27 PM Re: Options for rechambering a 35 rem barrel? [Re: Brenden]
Sawfish
old hand

Loc: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

Never did see a response from the OP as to what was actually wrong with his .35 Remington barrel. The old 35 is a great cartridge as is, and is just getting better with age. If it is an older factory barrel with the extraction problem. The .35 Remington rimmed will fix the problem. Fred Smith (Bullberry) rechambered mine years ago, and I have had no problems since.
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

#203556 - 11/18/19 08:44 PM Re: Options for rechambering a 35 rem barrel? [Re: Sawfish]
Dirty harry
stranger

Loc: Kansas

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have been experiencing trouble with this barrel misfiring with handloads, to the point I can?t trust it in a hunting situation. A while back, I bought a box of Hornady Leverevolution cartridges to give factory loads a try. I finally had a chance to shoot them two weeks ago and they all fired without any misfires, but I had to quit shooting after a few rounds because the gun locked-up and was extremely difficult to open after each round. Initially I thought they were locking the gun due to pressure and that?s when I was ready to give up on it.

Fast forward to yesterday and I was out sighting in a few other barrels using the same frame. I shot 30 herrett, 25 Bullberry Improved and 7-30 waters as normal. Switched to a 357 herrett barrel and same thing; locked up tight. Reinstalled the 30 herrett barrel and shot it again without issue. I installed the 357 herrett on a different frame and everything was just fine. What would cause a frame to behave like this?

I?m a fan of 35 caliber cartridges and i?d really like to have something that could stretch it?s legs so-to-speak. I recall the reading about the 358 Bellm back in the day, but couldn?t find any references to it or rechambering work on their website. I could sell it, but I really want to make this barrel a keeper. Still haven?t ruled out going the 358 JDj route. I?ve wanted one for years!

I?ll have some over the next couple of weekends to try the 35 rem barrel on my other frame with Leverevolutions. It will be interesting to see how that works out. I still have a lot to learn about Contenders........

#203557 - 11/18/19 10:11 PM Re: Options for rechambering a 35 rem barrel? [Re: Dirty harry]
JDK
enthusiast

Loc: Texas Hill Country

I finally got to run some rounds through my JDJ barrel today and it shot great. I was just working up to the load I wanted to use and wasn't in a position to really test accuracy, but it was shooting very well. With a lousy rest and shooting at a circle I made with a sharpie which was about 2.5 inches across, it was dropping every load (3 to 4 rounds per charge weight) into an inch or less at 25 yards. I have no doubt this barrel will out shoot me.

I wanted a 358 JDJ for a long time and I'm glad I've got one now. As I said earlier, just use RP brass and you'll be good to go. The turn around from SSK is pretty fast.

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Chance Weldon, jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
0 registered and 145 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
Franchise
pab1
Chance Weldon
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
My mid-winter boar
My mid-winter boar  ( 2007 )

SHOT Show 2008
SHOT Show 2008

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.035 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.