Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201501 - 08/27/19 07:51 PM Re: Pigman 500 S&W White Tail Buck [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Bigbrowndog
journeyman

Loc: Central Texas

I was lucky enough to have a face to face conversation with an outstanding traditional archer one year, and was asking how much practice he put into his trick shots and how many shots did it take to produce his trick shooting videos. He was plain in his statement that it was not shots but weeks and weeks of shots.
He went on to relate a story about how he could hit an aspirin tossed in the air on TV but he could also completely miss a Bull Moose from less than 15yards, and he provided video proof of both. I admire anyone that can poke fun at themselves.

Trapr

#201502 - 08/27/19 08:54 PM Re: Pigman 500 S&W White Tail Buck [Re: Bigbrowndog]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Trapr, reminds me of many years back while hunting whitetail in western Pennsylvania with a fairly new 454.. I showed the man in charge of a timber lease a 100 yard target of the excellent group I shot with the Freedom... Well, a couple days later in a tree stand and waiting for a buck to stop feeding and present a shot, I got careless and rushed the shot with a bad hit and lost that deer. When I was leaving for home the foreman asked if I wanted that great 100yd target of mine and I told him to put it in the bathroom with the toilet paper cause that`s what it was worth... There is more to handgun hunting then just making good 100 yard groups..
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#201506 - 08/27/19 09:26 PM Re: Pigman 500 S&W White Tail Buck [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Shootist

While the doors to my soul are opened let me tell you of a safari in 2003 and the taking of a SCI top ten ( #7 for that year) blesbok.. Shot this blesbok at the very back edge of his lungs which the tracker followed until I had a fifty or so yard shot.. I pulled the trigger on my 454 and the bullet hit the dirt about 20yds in front of me... All the PH said was "you missed"... The only way to shoot like that is to jerk the trigger (or have some serious problem with the sight system)? Shooting these big bore revolvers is easier said then done... It takes a lot of time behind the gun and self control with the heavy kicking handguns to stop that impulse to jerk the trigger in a hunting situation.. Like an old handgun hunting friend use to say "sight picture and trigger control".. Just ask any of the top handgun hunters...
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#201509 - 08/28/19 07:21 AM Re: Pigman 500 S&W White Tail Buck [Re: jamesfromjersey]
45MAN
veteran

Loc: brownsville, texas

"JERK" THE TRIGGER, I CALL IT "MILK" THE TRIGGER, BUT SAME RESULT, USUALLY A BAD MISS LOW, OFTEN TIMES THE CULPRIT IN REVOLVER MISSES. THAT IS WHY I SPEND A LOT OF TIME SHOOTING LESSER CALIBERS ("TRIGGER TIME"), AS IT HELPS ME ELIMINATE A BAD TRIGGER PULL.

#201519 - 08/28/19 03:17 PM Re: Pigman 500 S&W White Tail Buck [Re: 45MAN]
Shootist

the same result..jerk it... milk it... seen someone shooting a heavy caliber did not realize it was empty.. pulled the trigger and the front of barrel dropped two inches.. that`s jerking it

#201521 - 08/28/19 06:47 PM Re: Pigman 500 S&W White Tail Buck [Re: jamesfromjersey]
wheelguns
old hand

Loc: Western Montana

[quote=jamesfromjersey] Like an old handgun hunting friend use to say "sight picture and trigger control"..

Amen brother

#201527 - 08/28/19 07:50 PM Re: Pigman 500 S&W White Tail Buck [Re: wheelguns]
Bigbrowndog
journeyman

Loc: Central Texas

Years ago there was an article in one of the big thick gun digest books, the gist of the article was incredible misses. It had short stories from most of the gun writers of the current time, John Wooters, Layne Simpson, and many others. It was a very funny article and just like the adage about not if you?ll ever have an accidental discharge but,...when!! The same goes for missing!!!

Trapr

#201598 - 08/30/19 08:11 AM Re: Pigman 500 S&W White Tail Buck [Re: Bigbrowndog]
Ernie
Distinguished Master

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

Lot of emotion in hunting programs from this thread.
I don't know any of these guys or gals.
I just have the Outdoor Channel, so every once in awhile, I record a bunch on the DVR, Then FF to the shooting/range practice and right before the kill shot.
Sometimes, the shooting fundamentals are seriously lacking, while others are solid. At least from what I can tell.
I watch it for entertainment, and let it be that.
I prefer the shows that are spot and stalk, hunting over stand hunting with bait.
I have hunted using corn as bait before and out of a stand (Ground and elevated).
I have also hunted a few times with a high fence.
I get it, that some places you don't have much choices than using corn and a stand...Been there and done that, and have enjoyed it, especially with good friends.
That being said, most of the time stand hunting is easier than spot-n-stalk or still hunting in my opinion.
But hey, if that is the option over no hunting at all...Put Me In That Stand!!!

#201850 - 09/08/19 05:07 PM Re: Pigman 500 S&W White Tail Buck [Re: Ernie]
tradmark
Shooting Expert

Originally Posted By: Ernie
Lot of emotion in hunting programs from this thread.
I don't know any of these guys or gals.
I just have the Outdoor Channel, so every once in awhile, I record a bunch on the DVR, Then FF to the shooting/range practice and right before the kill shot.
Sometimes, the shooting fundamentals are seriously lacking, while others are solid. At least from what I can tell.
I watch it for entertainment, and let it be that.
I prefer the shows that are spot and stalk, hunting over stand hunting with bait.
I have hunted using corn as bait before and out of a stand (Ground and elevated).
I have also hunted a few times with a high fence.

I get it, that some places you don't have much choices than using corn and a stand...Been there and done that, and have enjoyed it, especially with good friends.
That being said, most of the time stand hunting is easier than spot-n-stalk or still hunting in my opinion.
But hey, if that is the option over no hunting at all...Put Me In That Stand!!!

Absolutely.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 171 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Franchise
Chance Weldon
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Sika in the Rain
Sika in the Rain

The Snipe Pod
The Snipe Pod

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.