Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: Zee
 Originally Posted By: sw282
l own a couple red dots... Unfortunately none of them seem to have

glass with the clarity or brightness of a quality handgun scope

This.

I run a bunch of red dots up to top of the line Aimpoint and EoTech. Glass can?t compare to a good scope.

But, they serve a different purpose, I guess.

You said it. The red dot does serve a different purpose, but can be used at longer ranges. They don?t need to have the same quality glass as they don?t magnify and you use them with both eyes open. I just see it as a non issue.

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#200822 - 07/28/19 11:30 AM Re: buy your scope now [Re: RSW]
Teep
journeyman

Loc: MO

I wonder what the market really is for handgun scopes. I see the need for scopes on the single shot handguns but what is their percentage compared to those that use revolvers. Most revolver and auto shooters seem to prefer red dot sights when using optics. We are a small market and the split don't help either. The market is much bigger for the red dot sights as they are market for all types of guns and bows. I wonder when we will start seeing them marketed with built in magnification but this will come at the expense of eye relief.

#200828 - 07/28/19 03:14 PM Re: buy your scope now [Re: Teep]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

There is definitely a market for handgun scopes, just a small one. I think a lot more red dots go on AR's than handguns anyway....well, hunting handguns that is....I see a lot of red dots on AR's, self defense pistols, and "turkey" shotguns...almost all the guys and gals on Handgun Hunting and Addicts are running scopes on their revolvers, but I think most of us are from the south and doing a lot of deer hunting with our handguns.....you don't really see a lot of red dots on XP's, Contenders, and Encores...and I can't imagine why anyone would really want to unless it had magnification...you want an optic as capable as the round your gun is chambered for....several things have hurt the handgun scope and handgun hunting market....the Black Gun craze for one, both rifle and pistol, and the large amount of misinformation about handgun hunting that has been put out in the last 10 years.....1 - you need a big bore hardcast .475 or .510 to reach the vitals of game animals, 1,200 fps is a magic number for pistol bullet velocities, and the 10mm is a dangerous game gun. We are SUPER small faction of the hunting world, we have to be honest about exactly what we do and what it takes to get it done.

#200830 - 07/28/19 03:37 PM Re: buy your scope now [Re: Franchise]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

You must have young eyes, David. The red dot is a substitute for open sights, not a tool for magnification. My right eye is 20-15, my left 20-20, however my up close vision requires reading glasses and I suspect that is the case with most of our older members. I see more of a need for a scope out west where shots are on the longer side. Red dots are also great for up close and personal fast target acquisition. So there is a definite place for them right alongside the variable power scope.

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#200832 - 07/28/19 03:52 PM Re: buy your scope now [Re: Whitworth]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

Magnification in a red dot sight would cost you some of the advantages that they offer, especially field of view.

#200833 - 07/28/19 03:57 PM Re: buy your scope now [Re: Gregg Richter]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Guys, I'm not saying that all red dots need magnification, but it would be nice as an option...even a fixed 4x red dot....it may make a splash in the water 😉

#200837 - 07/28/19 07:40 PM Re: buy your scope now [Re: Franchise]
Bigbrowndog
journeyman

Loc: Central Texas

Franchise it sounds like you?re talking about simply illuminating a handgunscope!!!.......that should be an easy thing to do, and an interesting prospect. I?ll mention it to the Burris engineers, it may be something that can easily be accomplished and fit both their Scout scope line and handgun scope line.

Trapr

#200838 - 07/28/19 07:45 PM Re: buy your scope now [Re: Bigbrowndog]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Yes Sir! That's what I'm talking about. Thank you

#200839 - 07/28/19 08:15 PM Re: buy your scope now [Re: Bigbrowndog]
Teep
journeyman

Loc: MO

Originally Posted By: Bigbrowndog
Franchise it sounds like you?re talking about simply illuminating a handgunscope!!!.......that should be an easy thing to do, and an interesting prospect. I?ll mention it to the Burris engineers, it may be something that can easily be accomplished and fit both their Scout scope line and handgun scope line.

Trapr

While you're talking to the Burris engineers also tell them we need lower settings on the red dots for early mornings, late evenings, and deep woods. Just barely on would be great.

#200840 - 07/28/19 08:37 PM Re: buy your scope now [Re: Teep]
tradmark
Shooting Expert

And.....we cant get these features if we arent willing to pay for em. Long distance rifle shooters are happy to get a nice long distance scope for under 2k bucks. The >2k scopes fly off the shelves for rifles. Nobody bats an eye with an 800 dollar rifle scope. From what ive seen in the handgunning world anything over 300 bucks inspires alot of teeth nashing. Just an observation.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Chance Weldon, jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible) and 171 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Franchise
Chance Weldon
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Some New Guns In '
Some New Guns In '04

375 Winchester
375 Winchester

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.