Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200327 - 06/27/19 10:43 AM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Whitworth]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

John Duty clearly has constipation of the brain...unfortunately there are a lot that are this uneducated when it comes to bullets, hunting, and guns

#200328 - 06/27/19 11:07 AM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Franchise]
EricS
enthusiast

Loc: South GA

There will always be naysayers and it is a good thing. It gets people who are on the fence to do a little research and make their own decision. While I have never shot anything bigger than large hogs I have been underwhelmed with handgun performance in comparison to rifles. That?s ok. They still perform well. I bow hunt. I always think it?s funny when hunters talk about ethics. We are all killing animals we don?t have to kill. Sure most of us eat our quarry but hunting is for entertainment. I have no dreams or wishes to hunt Cape buffalo. I do have a spot on the wall picked out at home I would like to have a kudu mount and maybe a couple other plains animals just to go ahead and make it an African wall. I will say Max did a pile of work getting ready for the hunt. I still have a 50ae barrel I got from Franchise years ago. That?s about as much .50 as I want to shoot and that?s a rather small 50 mounted on a large platform.

#200337 - 06/27/19 02:43 PM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: EricS]
sixshot
old hand

Max, I did like your reply. I thought you handled it very well & if allowed to I think you would have/should have hammered the hell out of that guy!
We are actually a strong group but we don't speak our mind enough I think. When I look back over 50 years I kind of chuckle at some of the comments....you shot it with WHAT! I never thought it was a big deal, sometimes never even took a photo, sometimes didn't even own a camera when raising 5 kids. I was lucky I lived right in the middle of heaven!
I've been lucky enough to meet some of the great one's, Elmer Keith several times but never went shooting with him. Bob Hagel, Elgin Gates, who was a great hand gun shooter, John Taffin, and recently with some guys in New Mexico who could do some amazing things to a 5 gallon bucket at 600 yds. Read Mic McPherson's book, Memoirs of Superstition Mountain Prospecting sometime!
But we take a back seat to nobody in knowing what we're doing, knowing ballistics, bullet placement, etc. And, we PRACTICE!
Recently friend Rey Garza gave us a walk through on getting ready for his bear hunt in Alaska, he shot & shot & shot. Many different guns, loads & bullets. How many guys actually do that. Not many of the rifle boys, but we do, we've earned our place guys!

Dick

#200338 - 06/27/19 02:53 PM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: EricS]
RSW

Loc: KY

Most of these so called experts have never killed an animal and if they did they wouldn't know how to field dress it! I'm at the point in life that I just walk away and leave them to wallow in their ignorance. My advice would be do the same.

#200339 - 06/27/19 03:00 PM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: RSW]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: RSW
Most of these so called experts have never killed an animal and if they did they wouldn't know how to field dress it! I'm at the point in life that I just walk away and leave them to wallow in their ignorance. My advice would be do the same.

That's not really a luxury I have. I also feel a bit of a responsibility to educate when possible. My wife asked me, after reading that letter to the editor, if I was mad. She was clearly not happy with it. I just laughed out loud reading it. It's an opportunity, not only to educate, but to expose some of these ignorant folks as true know-nothings.

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#200340 - 06/27/19 03:01 PM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: sixshot]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: sixshot
Max, I did like your reply. I thought you handled it very well & if allowed to I think you would have/should have hammered the hell out of that guy!
We are actually a strong group but we don't speak our mind enough I think. When I look back over 50 years I kind of chuckle at some of the comments....you shot it with WHAT! I never thought it was a big deal, sometimes never even took a photo, sometimes didn't even own a camera when raising 5 kids. I was lucky I lived right in the middle of heaven!
I've been lucky enough to meet some of the great one's, Elmer Keith several times but never went shooting with him. Bob Hagel, Elgin Gates, who was a great hand gun shooter, John Taffin, and recently with some guys in New Mexico who could do some amazing things to a 5 gallon bucket at 600 yds. Read Mic McPherson's book, Memoirs of Superstition Mountain Prospecting sometime!
But we take a back seat to nobody in knowing what we're doing, knowing ballistics, bullet placement, etc. And, we PRACTICE!
Recently friend Rey Garza gave us a walk through on getting ready for his bear hunt in Alaska, he shot & shot & shot. Many different guns, loads & bullets. How many guys actually do that. Not many of the rifle boys, but we do, we've earned our place guys!

Dick

You've got that right, Dick. We practice a skill that is a lot harder to master. It takes real dedication to do what we do effectively.

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#200341 - 06/27/19 03:04 PM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: sixshot]
Zee
Gun Slinger

I thought you handled it very well & if allowed to I think you would have/should have hammered the hell out of that guy!

Dick

Why? You don?t win people over by being an ass. You don?t win people over by being a braggart. You don?t convince folks by exaggerating (?Many, many hand gunners have taken big revolvers with superb bullets & cleanly taken every animal on the planet.?)

You win or at least validate your opinion and position by stating the facts and proving the science. You can?t argue with facts. Or at least, not without looking the fool.

I think Max did well on his response, or at least the published part.

Being an elitist group and excluding or badgering others doesn?t win over the masses. Whether that be excluding handgunners or riflemen. Don?t be guilty of that which you despise.

Present the facts and let them stand for themselves. Max seems to have done that.

#200343 - 06/27/19 04:16 PM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Zee]
45MAN
Pooh-Bah

Loc: brownsville, texas

PRETTY IGNORANT FELLOW THAT JOHN DUTY GUY. GOOD RESPONSE MAX. ON MOST OF THE SAFARIS I WENT ON WHERE RIFLE HUNTERS ALSO WENT ALONG, MOST OF THEIR PRACTICE WAS "SIGHTING IN" WHILE I PRACTICED TWICE A WEEK FOR SEVERAL MONTHS, IN ADDITION TO YEAR ROUND HANDGUN SHOOTING.

BY THE WAY, A 180gr 300 WIN MAG LOAD AT 3,000fps HAS A TKO VALUE OF 24, A 375 H&H 300gr LOAD @ 2,600fps HAS A TKO VALUE OF 42, AND MAX's 420gr 500 JRH @ 1,400fps, AND OUT OF A 5 - 6 INCH BARRELED REVOLVER!, HAS A TKO VALUE OF 42.

Edited by 45MAN (06/27/19 04:26 PM)

#200344 - 06/27/19 04:56 PM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: 45MAN]
Randy M
veteran

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

Great response Max. Keep representing.

#200346 - 06/27/19 05:41 PM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Zee]
sw282
addict

Loc: CSRA of GA/SC

Originally Posted By: Zee
I thought you handled it very well & if allowed to I think you would have/should have hammered the hell out of that guy!

Dick

Why? You don?t win people over by being an ass. You don?t win people over by being a braggart. You don?t convince folks by exaggerating (?Many, many hand gunners have taken big revolvers with superb bullets & cleanly taken every animal on the planet.?)

You win or at least validate your opinion and position by stating the facts and proving the science. You can?t argue with facts. Or at least, not without looking the fool.

I think Max did well on his response, or at least the published part.

Being an elitist group and excluding or badgering others doesn?t win over the masses. Whether that be excluding handgunners or riflemen. Don?t be guilty of that which you despise.

Present the facts and let them stand for themselves. Max seems to have done that.

Well said ZEE. Daddy said ''You can ALWAYS catch more flies with

HONEY than money''

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
0 registered and 137 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
Franchise
pab1
Chance Weldon
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Fighting for my li
Fighting for my life

454 Eland
454 Eland

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.015 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.