Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200313 - 06/26/19 09:51 PM Cape Buffalo with a Revolver
sixshot
old hand

content Online
Reading in the latest American Hunter magazine I happened to see the reply from a gentleman (being nice here) who wasn't too complimentary about Max Prasac's clean kill of an African Cape Buffalo with a revolver. He fell back on the worn out argument of foot pounds of energy, so unfortunate!
I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here but these guys that have no idea what they are talking about would be a lot better off if they would do a little home work before making themselves look so bad!
The hot rod 220 Swift is pretty impressive in the ft lbs of energy department, yet it probably wouldn't even break the hide on a mature Cape Buffalo on most shots. A few years ago an African PH said he would prefer the 30/30 lever action over the FA 454 against a charging Cape Buffalo, yikes!
Many, many hand gunners have taken big revolvers with superb bullets & cleanly taken every animal on the planet, we don't owe anyone an explanation or an apology. Those days are long gone!

Dick

#200317 - 06/26/19 10:54 PM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: sixshot]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

I think that it's sad....unfortunate.....but, typical...most "popular" shooters/hunters lack ballistic common sense....the black gun uprising is killing handgun hunting...the spray & pray philosophy is more popular everyday...the ridiculous zombie apocalypse crap where everyone needs 20 thousand 223 rounds and as many 50 round clips as you can get, is killing handgun hunting....think about it, between popular TV hunters suggesting the 10mm is a go to Cape Buffalo gun and kids today spending hours playing video games, the ability of being able to cleanly take game animals with 1 shot or a few shots is lost on today's novice hunter. Plus......recoil......LOL.......Elmer Keith I'm sure would have special names for the new trend of tough guys...hahaha.....we used to be a see it to believe it group....now it's a "I read it or saw it online, it MUST be true" group.....common sense unfortunately is lost on today's Hunting Celebrities.....but, they were never really hunters in the first place.....just my opinion

#200318 - 06/26/19 11:32 PM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Franchise]
sw282
addict

Loc: CSRA of GA/SC

And yet these same ''experts'' that deride handgun hunting as a

think a bow and arrow is some kind of DEATHRAY.

#200319 - 06/27/19 05:18 AM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: sw282]
junebug
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bardstown ,Ky

Damn good thing buffalo and other big game can't read . Never would be able to kill them!
I know we get bad press but I didn't pick up a handgun and start hunting with it to wow other people. I did it because I knew I could and I wanted to for my personal satisfaction. I am a HUNTER who chooses to use a pistol, There are better pistol shots out there than me I know,and I give them there do, but I will bow to no one because of my choice of weapon. I will live this lifestyle until I am no longer physically able ,then?

#200320 - 06/27/19 05:53 AM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: sixshot]
dhom
addict

Originally Posted By: sixshot
Reading in the latest American Hunter magazine I happened to see the reply from a gentleman (being nice here) who wasn't too complimentary about Max Prasac's clean kill of an African Cape Buffalo with a revolver. He fell back on the worn out argument of foot pounds of energy, so unfortunate!
I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here but these guys that have no idea what they are talking about would be a lot better off if they would do a little home work before making themselves look so bad!
The hot rod 220 Swift is pretty impressive in the ft lbs of energy department, yet it probably wouldn't even break the hide on a mature Cape Buffalo on most shots. A few years ago an African PH said he would prefer the 30/30 lever action over the FA 454 against a charging Cape Buffalo, yikes!
Many, many hand gunners have taken big revolvers with superb bullets & cleanly taken every animal on the planet, we don't owe anyone an explanation or an apology. Those days are long gone!

Dick
I am glad you posted this. Sometimes I feel like I lived past my time. Self reliance and common sense are long gone. On the flip side with todays attitude towards blackguns, the revolvers we love and such aren't getting out of hand this way. [price wise]

Edited by dhom (06/27/19 05:54 AM)

#200321 - 06/27/19 06:03 AM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: dhom]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Dick, did you like my response? The powers that be came to me for a retort. Of course they edited out my not so nice comments, but I think I still got my point across. I actually viewed this as an opportunity to educate the ignorant.

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#200322 - 06/27/19 06:25 AM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Whitworth]
Randy M
veteran

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

Can you post the comment and your response? I'd love to see it.

#200323 - 06/27/19 07:47 AM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Randy M]
45MAN
veteran

Loc: brownsville, texas

Originally Posted By: Randy M
Can you post the comment and your response? I'd love to see it.

YEP, PLEASE POST A COPY OF BOTH.

I HAVE ENDURED BS LIKE THIS FOR FAR LONGER THAN MOST OF YOU. ONE OF THE EXPERTS IN RIFLE/HANDLOADER MAGAZINES DERIDED HANDGUN HUNTING IN A COLUMN SO I SENT IN A REPLY AND ALL I GOT WAS A SCOLDING FROM DAVE SCOVILL. F...... S...!

#200324 - 06/27/19 07:55 AM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: 45MAN]
Whitworth
Shootist

I know, but every article I publish paints a fresh target on my backside. But I?m okay with that. We simply need to keep educating folks ignorant of our ways. I?ll scan it and post it a little later this morning.

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#200326 - 06/27/19 10:05 AM Re: Cape Buffalo with a Revolver [Re: Whitworth]
Whitworth
Shootist

Here you go:

Semper Fidelis

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
8 registered (reflex264, Billc, longhunter, Mech 8, Willicd76, Memtb460) and 163 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Franchise
Chance Weldon
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Fighting for my li
Fighting for my life

Bushnell Elite 320
Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.