Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199417 - 05/03/19 10:58 AM down pressure on contender/encore forend
karl
addict

Loc: Minnesota

So I remember this has been discussed before and the general advice was NOT to put downward pressure on the forends. But...

I've only been reloading and shooting contenders/encores seriously for ~5 years but I very quickly realized that my groups tightened up considerably if I pushed the forend down into whatever I was shooting off (bipods, sand bags, PRS or standard bogpod top, branches, tree stand railing). My groups at 100 yards would get cut in half (<1" with right load) (30-30, 223, 45-70 and 17HMR). My 45-70 encore pistol reminded me of this last week after a winter of shooting revolvers indoors. I have to pay very close attention that the "rest" is in a consistent location and the "perceived" force is consistent but this practice consistently tightens up my supported groups over paying similar attention but not applying downward force. I don't think it's a flinch or jerk after experimenting with random snap caps and live round mixes in various platforms and seeing no POA motion 8x or more scopes when the hammer falls. Also, most my triggers are set light.

My questions for those that have a shot a lot of supported break open pistols are this
1) Have others noticed this? Is it a sign of a bad grip or trigger pull induced motion?

2) If this method of achieving better groups is truly undesirable and something to be worked through (tell me why please) then what would be a good path to working on it?

3) Any question I should ask that I am not?

At this point it works for me and if I can consistently get to the range for practice it works fine, but I'm always open to improvement.

Thanks!

#199613 - 05/12/19 11:45 PM Re: down pressure on contender/encore forend [Re: karl]
Sawfish
old hand

Loc: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

I use a hanger bar on all of my Encores and bed them without the actual forend touching the barrel (free floating). The forends are all glass bedded, and I can switch them among barrels with no discernible change in POI. I have used this system for over ten years, and am convinced it is the best way to solve the forend/barrel contact problem.
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

#199616 - 05/13/19 10:19 AM Re: down pressure on contender/encore forend [Re: Sawfish]
karl
addict

Loc: Minnesota

Thanks Sawfish
I run hanger bars on my forends also and have found them to help a lot, but I still find my groups shifting up and down slightly (and groups tightening up) if I bear down a little on the gun vs letting it float on what I am shooting off.

#199619 - 05/13/19 04:08 PM Re: down pressure on contender/encore forend [Re: karl]
Sawfish
old hand

Loc: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

Have you glassed the bars to your forends
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Chance Weldon, jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
2 registered (BIZZMO, KYODE) and 141 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Franchise
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
375 Winchester
375 Winchester

Hogs and Deer: Wor
Hogs and Deer: World's Apart

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.036 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.