Page 2 of 17 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198295 - 03/25/19 09:20 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Whitworth]
Randy M
old hand

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

Well, it?s about that time of year and we haven?t had one of these threads in awhile. Lol.

#198296 - 03/25/19 09:33 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Randy M]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

Its honesty comes down to personal preference and what works for you (each individual..gun/bullet/game animal) if a bullet does not impress you...try another...sometimes you'll be surprised how well a different bullet might work

#198297 - 03/25/19 09:44 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Randy M]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Master

Loc: Colorado

Originally Posted By: Randy M
Well, it?s about that time of year and we haven?t had one of these threads in awhile. Lol.

OOOOHHHH MAN!!!!! You should have seen the large vs magnum primer thread a few years back! It was one of those things that we don't even mention any more! To say the P word just in passing almost got ya exiled after that. It was seriously worse than politics!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.

#198298 - 03/25/19 10:34 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Raptortrapper]
wheelguns
addict

Loc: Western Montana

Those of us who have been here awhile,have all been down that road enough times that I don't think much will come of the bullet debate. Both have there place,and pretty much everyone knows the others preferences in bullets.

#198299 - 03/25/19 10:37 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: wheelguns]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Master

Oh I agree! But it brings back some memories!!

#198301 - 03/25/19 10:43 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Raptortrapper]
wheelguns
addict

Loc: Western Montana

Don't it though. LOL!!! The primer thing was to the point of asinine.

Edited by wheelguns (03/25/19 10:45 PM)

#198302 - 03/25/19 11:10 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Raptortrapper]
JDK
enthusiast

Loc: Texas Hill Country

No personal experience, but I've heard two things about moose. They're not exceptionally hard to kill, but it can take awhile for them to realize they're dead. I've read of them absorbing killing shots from 375 H&H and 458 Magnum rifles and continuing to wander about and eat until they fall down. Your 450 load seems like it should've been deadly, but animals are funny sometimes. Whether an expanding bullet is right for Brown bear is something I cannot speak to, but it seems the classic stories I've read about hunting them with handguns tends to involve heavy HC lead. But, bullets are also much better now than when Larry Kelly and JD Jones were pioneering the sport of taking really big game with handguns. That's a long way to say, I don't know, but good luck and be careful!

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#198308 - 03/26/19 12:55 AM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Raptortrapper]
Vance in AK.
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kenai, Alaska

Trust me guys ive seen plenty of these type threads come and go here. Ive been away for a while but ive been a member here for over 15 yrs (i remember the old forum) and have over 2000 posts si ive seen just about every "argument".
But as John said technology does change... i was firmly in the hardcast camp but after my rifle experience i have concerns. The country i live in has a lot of thick brush and swamps in a lot of the areas so im looking for short blood trails. For now ill probably be sticking with hc but if i could find a heavy jacketed bullet that penetrated well but had some sharp edges to open things up just a bit i wouldnt mind a bit. Moose arent especially hard to kill (for an animal there size but every part of them, hide or bone is thick and tough so a whitetail bullet wont cut it. And of course i want 1 load for every animal because in the fall all 3 are in season and inhabit the same places.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

#198310 - 03/26/19 01:29 AM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Vance in AK.]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Master

What about a bonded bullet of some sort then? Kind of the best of both worlds, I think?? Perhaps that's what the Deep Curls are?

Just thinking out loud...

I'd still vote for hardcast though. But I have no experience with those critters, so not real helpful. Just speculating I guess.

#198311 - 03/26/19 01:33 AM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Vance in AK.]
sixshot
old hand

Vance, it's the old Ford vs Chevy argument we always get into & everyone gets a bloody nose once in a while, then we shake hands & have a good laugh....who won?
In your case because of the big bears, use the very best bullet you can buy because it might come down to one bullet. The really good bonded jacketed or flat nose solids have never been better & velocity doesn't phase them.
Good cast bullets will always have their place but you have to understand 2 things with cast, speed & hardness. If they match you are fine, get either one out of it's comfort zone & it's easy to fail.
Of course all of the above depends on bullet placement, we all agree on that, but if they are the same & we're hunting in Alaska where big starts at 6-700 lbs & can easily go twice that then you have to rethink your bullet selection.
Your moose sounds like he was one tough son of a gun, that happens even with that big hammer you were hitting him with.
I shot my Idaho bull with a Ruger SRH 480 & a 370 gr cast bullet at about 1050 fps through both lungs, one shot & about 6-7 seconds & he plowed into the snow. Maybe if I had shot the other bull standing next to him it would have been an out come just like what you had. That's why hunting is never the same.
One difference, my cast bullet was a softnose cast, but went clear through both lungs at about 45 yds offhand.

Dick

Page 2 of 17 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
0 registered and 160 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Franchise
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Gerry and Mike's E
Gerry and Mike's Elk Hunting adventure

Till Case Do Us Pa
Till Case Do Us Part

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.015 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.