Page 1 of 17 12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198280 - 03/25/19 07:29 PM Cast or expanding for large big game???
Vance in AK.
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kenai, Alaska

Ok, getting back into handgun hunting and starting to put together some 44 mag loads.
I never killed anything with the handgun when I was packing it, but 44 mag, 45 colt, or 480 I always loaded a heavy for caliber hardcast.
A few years ago I killed a nice mid size bull moose at about 100yds with my Marlin guide gun in 450 Marlin with handloads that had a 420 hardcast doing just shy of 2000fps. I was less that impressed. 1 shot in shoulders & 3 shots were in the heart/lung area. He walked around 150 yds. Had to finish him on the ground with shot 5. 1 bullet recovered from offside shoulder looked like you could load it again. So I know my 44 mag with 300 or 320s in the 1300-1350fps range will perform about the same.
And yes i know I should have tried to break the shoulders.
BUT, now I'm wondering id some controlled expansion bullet might serve me better.
Critters I get to hunt reguraly are black bear, brown bear, & moose. I might load a different (lighter) bullet for black bear than the others, but where I live large (9'+) brown bear are always a possibility.
Based on your experiences, what would your recommendations be?

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

#198282 - 03/25/19 07:42 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Vance in AK.]
Randy M
old hand

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

Swift A-frame

Speer Deep Curl

Edited by Randy M (03/25/19 07:45 PM)

#198283 - 03/25/19 08:04 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Randy M]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

I think a lot of folks are finally catching on to the fact that velocity is your friend and a bonded expanding bullet in big bore guns creates larger wound cavities and plenty of deep penetration.

#198284 - 03/25/19 08:06 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Franchise]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Master

Loc: Colorado

Originally Posted By: Franchise
I think a lot of folks are finally catching on to the fact that velocity is your friend and a bonded expanding bullet in big bore guns creates larger wound cavities and plenty of deep penetration.

Uh oh.... Here we go!

Black bears aren't hard to kill. I preferred a 45 Colt with 335gr hardcast from cast performance. It's overkill, but my goodness is it deadly!!

I don't have experience with the other critters you mentioned...yet!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.

#198285 - 03/25/19 08:31 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Raptortrapper]
Vance in AK.
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Kenai, Alaska

Randy M, do you have personal experience with the deep curl on heavy big game mouse or brown bear size?

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

#198286 - 03/25/19 08:36 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Vance in AK.]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

The best example is all of the Cape Buffalo that are falling with ease to the 454 and 460 with Swift A Frames and similar expanding bullets...once folks actually use them themselves, they are believers

#198287 - 03/25/19 08:43 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Franchise]
racksmasher1
veteran

Loc: New York

Fact!

#198288 - 03/25/19 08:48 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Vance in AK.]
Randy M
old hand

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

Originally Posted By: Vance in AK.
Randy M, do you have personal experience with the deep curl on heavy big game mouse or brown bear size?

Nope. Just a lot of impressive results on deer and hogs.

#198292 - 03/25/19 08:59 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Franchise]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: Franchise

Mine fell easily to a non expanding solid, as have a bunch more really big animals I?ve killed. When your chosen cartridge starts out at a half inch in diameter, expansion isn?t so critical. That said, it all depends on the cartridge and the game. Some revolver cartridges lend themselves well to higher velocities like the .454 and the .460. Others don?t that have limited case capacities. Where you can generate velocity, you might as well take advantage of it with a good expanding bullet that can withstand the impacts. It also depends on the game. If elephant or some other really thick skinned animal is on the menu, I?ll take a monolithic solid - at the highest achievable velocity ( where accuracy isn?t compromised). The .460 is a monster with A-frames, but really unimpressive with XTPs...

Some game is more susceptible to the shock offered by high velocities such as deer, bear and cats, and I firmly believe that you are well served with a quality expanding bullet at a higher velocity (it?s relative, when we?re not talking bottle-necked rifle cartridges). XPBs are dynamite on mountain lions!

I know that cast bullets seem to be a divisive topic, but a good quality cast will work like a charm if used within the parameters they were designed to work within (like all bullets). If you push them too hard you are asking for trouble, but that?s not the fault of the bullet. In many instances they are very good medicine.

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#198294 - 03/25/19 09:20 PM Re: Cast or expanding for large big game??? [Re: Whitworth]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Master

Loc: Colorado

I'm gonna have to try these Deep Curls. Never heard of them!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.

Page 1 of 17 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
0 registered and 176 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Franchise
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
The Missouri Expad
The Missouri Expadition

444 Marlin
444 Marlin

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.015 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.