Page 6 of 10 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197362 - 01/23/19 12:54 PM Re: The ultimate handgun hunt? [Re: Whitworth]
sixshot
old hand

Spencer, that's some good choices! Since I've lived here all my life I've been able to live that dream every year but I've always knew how lucky I've been to be able to do it, I've never taken it for granted.
And like Max said, you need to look into Africa before giving up on a Safari, you can do one for plains game & have a great hunt for 3-4-5 animals for what you can pay for one animal in Alaska. Also in Alaska you might not even see that animal but you're still going to pay for it. Not so in Africa.
Just seeing Africa, the people, the sights, the rivers, etc. You can just enjoy the culture & not even hunt for days & have a blast, it's just so different but don't wait too long, it's changing. Nothing like sitting around the Braii at night with friends after a day of hunting & swapping stories in Africa.

Dick

#197366 - 01/23/19 11:02 PM Re: The ultimate handgun hunt? [Re: sixshot]
tradmark
Shooting Expert

Originally Posted By: sixshot
Spencer, that's some good choices! Since I've lived here all my life I've been able to live that dream every year but I've always knew how lucky I've been to be able to do it, I've never taken it for granted.
And like Max said, you need to look into Africa before giving up on a Safari, you can do one for plains game & have a great hunt for 3-4-5 animals for what you can pay for one animal in Alaska. Also in Alaska you might not even see that animal but you're still going to pay for it. Not so in Africa.
Just seeing Africa, the people, the sights, the rivers, etc. You can just enjoy the culture & not even hunt for days & have a blast, it's just so different but don't wait too long, it's changing. Nothing like sitting around the Braii at night with friends after a day of hunting & swapping stories in Africa.

Dick

Preach on brother. I couldnt say it better myself! Ive done the alaska and do the elk all the time and love both! I went to africa the first time with gary smith. He told me on the plane. It just smells different. He was right. There was an immediate allure. I felt it when i was young reading capstick. I didnt know how it would infect me until i went the first time. Its hard to put into words home it feels to chase a cape buff and put it down and drive back to camp on the land rover with the unique smells of the foliage and animals with the cool wind nipping your face watching a perfect sunset over the acacia trees. Wondering if you will come across a great representative and get a shot on another animal on your list. Then be back in camp knowing that there could be a leopard or lion watching you walk back to your hut before hitting the sack. Then doing it again for 9 or 10 more days. My cousin went and felt the same way and took a lionness a kudu and an impala all for under 10k counting the flight. Its just something i would implore anyone saving for a hunt to not consider it. Its just hard to equal!

#197367 - 01/23/19 11:18 PM Re: The ultimate handgun hunt? [Re: tradmark]
Walkingthemup
addict

Loc: this side of the black stump

Agreed. There is just something about Africa. Something at the very root of our nature as human beings. It gets in your blood. When you're there you know its where man was designed to be. And when its time to leave, you know you'll be coming back.

#197368 - 01/23/19 11:24 PM Re: The ultimate handgun hunt? [Re: Whitworth]
billa
old hand

Loc: Central PA

content Online
I would suggest those of you that have not considered an African hunt to at least give it a look. I hunted the Eastern Cape SA for 8 days, took 6 nice animals and had a fantastic adventure for about the price of an Elk hunt. Like the others have said, it?s an experience well beyond the hunt itself. Check out my 3 stories in the articles section. My PH is a native to South Africa and he made the hunt and adventure of it all a fantastic event for me. The terrain where we were is very similar to the Southwest. I mentioned the mountain terrain and the challenging climbs that we have in the US so he took me on a Warthog hunt to a lost valley that he said he rarely hunts because of the difficulty. It was awesome. All of my animals were spot and stalk with lots of miles walked.
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#197369 - 01/24/19 07:40 AM Re: The ultimate handgun hunt? [Re: billa]
45MAN
Pooh-Bah

Loc: brownsville, texas

BESIDES ALL THE PRO "HUNT AFRICA" COMMENTS BY SIXSHOT, TRADMARK, WHITWORTH, BILLA AND OTHERS, I WANT TO ADD: 1) THE PH's (USUALLY WHITE) KNOW THEIR STUFF AND USUALLY MAKE YOU HUNT HARDER THAN YOU WANT TO. 2) THE BLACK TRACKERS ARE INCREDIBLE BUSHMEN AND TRACKERS. TO WATCH THEM TRACK IS AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE, AND THEIR SENSE OF DIRECTION IS BETTER THAN A GPS. AFTER A 4 OR 5 HOUR MEANDERING HIKE TRACKING, WHEN IT IS TIME TO GO GET THE VEHICHLE, A TRACKER WILL GO BACK TO IT IN A STRAIGHTLINE.

#197371 - 01/24/19 11:47 AM Re: The ultimate handgun hunt? [Re: 45MAN]
Muddy
enthusiast

Loc: Missouri

I have no doubt that Africa is amazing. A booking agent came very close to convincing me once. I just can't see a Range Rover taking the place of a fine horse. 😉

Dan

#197372 - 01/24/19 11:51 AM Re: The ultimate handgun hunt? [Re: Muddy]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: Muddy
I I just can't see a Range Rover taking the place of a fine horse. 😉

Dan

Hahahahaha! But can you see Cape buffalo taking the place of an elk? I can! LOL!

It?s still worth doing, Dan!

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#197373 - 01/24/19 12:03 PM Re: The ultimate handgun hunt? [Re: Whitworth]
Spencer
enthusiast

Loc: Central NY

Muddy, I'm with you!!!

#197374 - 01/24/19 01:24 PM Re: The ultimate handgun hunt? [Re: Spencer]
sixshot
old hand

Guys, that's the thing about Africa, you can do it your way, Land Rover, or on your feet, they will accommodate you. I suppose you could ride a Zebra if you wanted!
My choice was to walk & we walked every single day, right out the front door of the hunting lodge. Myself & Willem, my PH would leave at daylight & head in a new direction because that's how I wanted to hunt. We hunted like that for 14 days, my choice.
Only once did we ever get in a safari truck & that was a night hunt for Spring Hares. That was also the night I had an Aardvark get so close to my side of the truck I almost crapped my chaps, except I wasn't wearing chaps! That day we also drove over to a beyond huge Baobab tree that we could all walk inside! Incredible! To me, shooting from a truck would be like kissing your sister. Now traveling in a safari truck & finding animals & then stalking is very common & really the best way to hunt.
And like Rey said, those trackers! I think they could sort out a single drop of water in a full glass!

Dick

Edited by sixshot (01/24/19 01:27 PM)

#197375 - 01/24/19 01:39 PM Re: The ultimate handgun hunt? [Re: sixshot]
Jeff460

Loc: Kansas

A poor man's Cape Buffalo in America is the American Bison. So that could be an awesome hunt and great meat to eat hunt with one of my big bore revolvers.

Page 6 of 10 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
6 registered (Drycreek3189, karl, Hdhitindx, H2OBUG, Randy M, 1 invisible) and 172 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Whitworth
s4s4u
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
Franchise
pab1
Chance Weldon
Dan B.
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
My Bittersweet Buc
My Bittersweet Buck

A nerve wracking a
A nerve wracking antelope hunt

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.017 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.