Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196626 - 12/15/18 11:36 AM Re: Brindle hardness for shooting shoulders on deer. [Re: tradmark]
tradmark
Gun Slinger

That said, id go with the harder bullet. Less chance of an assumptive failure.

#196627 - 12/15/18 11:36 AM Re: Brindle hardness for shooting shoulders on deer. [Re: tradmark]
Zee
Gun Slinger

The shot was too high or too far forward. The angle was not as perceived.

#196628 - 12/15/18 11:38 AM Re: Brindle hardness for shooting shoulders on deer. [Re: Zee]
Zee
Gun Slinger

And yes, a harder bullet could be a good choice.

#196629 - 12/15/18 11:40 AM Re: Brindle hardness for shooting shoulders on deer. [Re: Zee]
tradmark
Gun Slinger

Originally Posted By: Zee
The shot was too high or too far forward. The angle was not as perceived.

I havent yet seen a hit from a 44 with a quality bullet that didnt kill it. Deer chest cavity is large and nearly everything behind it is vitals or spine.

#196631 - 12/15/18 12:10 PM Re: Brindle hardness for shooting shoulders on deer. [Re: tradmark]
Zee
Gun Slinger

Assuming he hit what he thought he hit?

#196633 - 12/15/18 12:29 PM Re: Brindle hardness for shooting shoulders on deer. [Re: Zee]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

This is what we experienced with Jordan's red deer a couple of years ago. Would you agree these bullets failed? Since these bullets have performed in this manner on numerous occasions, wouldn't it be logical to surmise that it is a possibility the OP encountered similar performance? It's unlikely he is posting to deceive us.

This is the XTP James used a couple of years ago at the Bash.

Versus this performance:

Across the board I have never seen more consistent performance irrespective of the game. Why use anything else?

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

#196637 - 12/15/18 12:48 PM Re: Brindle hardness for shooting shoulders on deer. [Re: tradmark]
rob-c

Loc: upstate NY

Originally Posted By: tradmark
So if he said it hit shoulder and if his son saw it with a shoulder hit, and the leg was incapacitated, how does a 44 not put that deer down over 800-900 yards? I think deductive logic dictates that either the bullet failed or the OP and his son are lying. Is there a 3rd option?

Thanks trademark, I wasn?t going to get into it with Zee again. I have been a bow hunter for close to 30 yrs and when I don?t do my job of making a perfect text book shot, I try to use equipment that will perform when I don?t . Hence a bullet that has a better track record on heavy bone hits. Because no one is perfect and not a single hunter can make that perfect shot 100% of the time.

And Zee I have no ego problem, me blaming the bullet for my poor shot placement has to do with the pit in the gut feeling of loosing a deer. Even if there is a 10% increase that a hard cast would have made it to the vitals I?ll take it.
Oh but wait my son and I will never know because even though you were not there we didn?t see what we thought we saw.

#196638 - 12/15/18 12:55 PM Re: Brindle hardness for shooting shoulders on deer. [Re: Whitworth]
rob-c

Loc: upstate NY

Originally Posted By: Whitworth

This is what we experienced with Jordan's red deer a couple of years ago. Would you agree these bullets failed? Since these bullets have performed in this manner on numerous occasions, wouldn't it be logical to surmise that it is a possibility the OP encountered similar performance? It's unlikely he is posting to deceive us.

This is the XTP James used a couple of years ago at the Bash.

Versus this performance:

Across the board I have never seen more consistent performance irrespective of the game. Why use anything else?

Thanks max , I highly respect your comments . I have both your books and I went with hardcast bullets in my 357 because of your high praise of them. But when moving up to the 44 figured the xtp?s would be ok . But here I am asking about hard cast again.

#196641 - 12/15/18 01:20 PM Re: Brindle hardness for shooting shoulders on deer. [Re: rob-c]
Zee
Gun Slinger

The pictured bullets do indeed appear to have failed.

We can assume that bullet failure is a possibility in the OP. As we can assume other possibilities.

Never considered deception as an option.

#196642 - 12/15/18 01:24 PM Re: Brindle hardness for shooting shoulders on deer. [Re: Zee]
Zee
Gun Slinger

Unfortunately, emotions seem to be creeping into this discussion and preventing clear headed conversation and an exploration of possibilities. As always happens in these types of discussions.

Always a shame.

I continue to be open to logical and scientific discussion should any choose to do so.

Absent that, by all means. Carry on, Gents.

👍🏻

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
0 registered and 144 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Ernie
Gary
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Franchise
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Your success depen
Your success depends on the right hunting equipment

THE GREAT KING OF
THE GREAT KING OF THE UNCOMPAHGRE FOREST

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.