Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#196320 - 11/30/18 09:22 PM Re: best hearing protection while being able to hear [Re: Bob Roach]
Muddy
enthusiast

Loc: Missouri

Originally Posted By: Bob Roach

I got my brother a set of Walker's for his birthday. Not sure of the model. Amplification is not bad, however you can not tell the direction the sound is coming from wearing them.

Bob R

I have found the same thing with the Walker's. Also found that you do NOT want to get them wet hunting in the rain. I still have mine but don't use them.

Dan

#196329 - 12/01/18 08:10 AM Re: best hearing protection while being able to hear [Re: Muddy]
98Redline
addict

Loc: Eastern PA

This year I broke down and bought a set of MSA Sordin Pro-X muffs with the gel cups.

All I can say is that they are incredible.

The gel cups make their comfort unparalleled. I wore them for 12 straight hours two days in a row and was never uncomfortable. The headband is wide enough to distribute the weight very well and stays put.
The muffs themselves are waterproof and I tested that out to the extreme on PA's Monday opener where it poured cats and dogs all day long. Everything I had on was soaked though and through. Zero issue with the Sordins.

Sound reproduction is good and the amplification available helps with those of us who have a bit of hearing loss. You can turn it up enough that rubbing your thumb and finger together sounds like somebody going at a piece of hickory with 80 grit sandpaper.

There is an external 3.5mm jack for audio input however I haven't tried that as of yet.

They rate the battery life (2x AAA) as 600 hours from a fresh set of alkalines.

I had no problem in determining sound direction with this pair of muffs when hunting. Indoors it is more difficult to determine direction but outdoors they worked great.

They are not cheap at $260, however the fact I can wear them all day and not think about needing to take them off makes up for it.

Edited by 98Redline (12/01/18 08:14 AM)

#196386 - 12/02/18 03:46 PM Re: best hearing protection while being able to hear [Re: 98Redline]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

WHAT???
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#196389 - 12/02/18 06:39 PM Re: best hearing protection while being able to hear [Re: jamesfromjersey]
FA834ME
enthusiast

I too went with Sordin with the gel cups. Very comfortable and work as advertised! I asked questions here and did plenty of researce. A friend mine has them and let me try them shooting Tanerite at the family picknic. They are great no matter what Jeff Foxworthy would say about shooting tanerite at the family picnic!!

#196394 - 12/03/18 12:21 AM Re: best hearing protection while being able to hear [Re: FA834ME]
wheeler45
addict

Loc: Indiana

Howard Leight Impact Sport. I wear them while in the stand and they not only improve my hearing and protection but keep my ears warm.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13

#196399 - 12/03/18 04:51 PM Re: best hearing protection while being able to hear [Re: wheeler45]
Walkingthemup
addict

Loc: this side of the black stump

As James indicated, the most commonly uttered word by us older shooters is "What". Hearing protection matters, once you loose your hearing its gone for good. Noise damage generally affects the upper frequencies first then gradually down to the lower frequencies like those used in speech. This means that by the time you notice it, most has already been lost. In the US, hearing protection is measured by the NRR rating.

Apart from a heavy competition cycle, I also RO at ranges etc. I bought the highest rated set of electronic muffs I could find in order to protect what little hearing I have left. Mine is one of the Pro Ear range with around NRR 30. They give excellent clarity and directionality in the field as well but I'm not convinced they are 100% waterproof. They are also somewhat bulky if using a longarm.

After reading the earlier posts about the MSA product, I looked up their stats. NRR of 18. That a huge difference. Just my opinion but I'd regard them as insufficient for range work and probably insufficient for high end calibres such as .454 Casull, 460 S&W etc especially if using a ported gun/muzzle break. However definitely better no protection for hunting. Whatever you do - wear something.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
4 registered (karl, Whitworth, Paul_H, 1 invisible) and 177 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Tag Team Tag Out.
Tag Team Tag Out.

My Time With Bill
My Time With Bill Grover

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.038 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.