Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195124 - 10/24/18 01:22 PM Shooting Glove Recommendations
adbhowler

Loc: Colorado

content Online
Might be opening myself up to ridicule but that's ok by me LOL (If you hold it right, you don't need a glove). I was wondering if you folks have any experience/recommendations on a good set of shooting gloves for heavy caliber revolvers. I have a pair I picked up at Cabela's and they are OK but they are wearing out very quickly. I like that they have the second knuckle protection (the one behind the trigger guard). I would like to get the full finger this time instead of the half finger. I looked at Pro-Aim already, anyone have these?. I was hoping you folks had some suggestions. Thanks!!

Edited by adbhowler (10/24/18 01:35 PM)

#195125 - 10/24/18 02:50 PM Re: Shooting Glove Recommendations [Re: adbhowler]
Sawfish
old hand

Loc: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

The best heavy revolver gloves that I have found were the Blackhawk Firestorm Gloves. They feature pads on the front of the fingers, waterproof Pittard leather; Fire resistant, and Kevlar reinforced construction. I bought two styles after seeing these at the SHOT Show a few years back. One has the wrist strap, and the other is elastic wrist (which I use 90% of the time). I think this one is called the Hellstorm. These gloves were developed for the U.S. Military, so the leather is thinned on the trigger finger, with skived cut lines to enable you to cut the trigger finger back if you so choose (I did not). They will definitely solve the problem of getting your hands beat up by the handgun, or scorched by the cylinder gap blast. Over the past four years, I have shot .454 Casull, 45/70 Govt. and .480 Ruger revolvers, plus heavy caliber Encores, 45/70 Contenders etc. using mine with no rips or tears. Not cheap at $60 per copy last time I looked, but definitely worth the money. Unfortunately, these gloves were discontinued when Blackhawk was purchased. I am sure someone else is making a comparable glove, I just have not found it. Sportsman's Guide Military Catalog might be a good place to look,.
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

#195129 - 10/24/18 05:00 PM Re: Shooting Glove Recommendations [Re: Sawfish]
Sawfish
old hand

I should have added that there are variations of the Blackhawk Fury and SOLAG gloves on Amazon at varying prices from different sources. Those were no help to me because most of the vendors have no XL gloves. I suspect these are closeout remnants of the original Blackhawk gloves. If you don't need XL, you might find something you can use.

#195132 - 10/24/18 06:30 PM Re: Shooting Glove Recommendations [Re: Sawfish]
ruger4570
enthusiast

Loc: Illinois

Weight lifter gloves work well and are inexpensive since they are not labeled as shooting equipment. They don't cover the finger tips though.

#195133 - 10/24/18 08:48 PM Re: Shooting Glove Recommendations [Re: ruger4570]
OFFSHORE

I have come to really like the Mechanix Wear Gloves that you can buy in auto parts stores or Walmart. They have several types/styles they fit really well (I have bear paws for hands) they have knuckle protection and they even come in camouflage so you can wear them hunting. A great $20.00 investment in my opinion. Good luck.

#195135 - 10/24/18 11:24 PM Re: Shooting Glove Recommendations [Re: OFFSHORE]
Sawfish
old hand

I thought the thickness of the Mechanix Gloves I have tried was too thick to allow for good trigger control.

#195137 - 10/25/18 07:08 AM Re: Shooting Glove Recommendations [Re: Sawfish]
cherokeetracker
addict

I use a pair of Elk-skin leather gloves. I can find them at a store that sells them in the hand size such as say 8,8 1/2, 9, 10, 11 etc etc. None of the small lrg Xlrg These gloves fit my hands well, and proper, and so far I never cut a finger off.
Season the Gloves with Boos It has some beeswax in it and some Mineral oil. Little goes a long way. Also its best to heat It in the microwave in a bowl you can throw away. Use a small piece of cloth to apply, or you can use straight from the tube but not as effective.
The best thing I have found for knuckle busting is to have Jack Huntington do his work on the grip frame of a Ruger SA. Ruger SRHs need nothing as also a BFR Bisley needs nothing.

#195139 - 10/25/18 10:32 AM Re: Shooting Glove Recommendations [Re: cherokeetracker]
adbhowler

content Online
Thanks for the info folks, it is very much appreciated. Will look into the ones you have suggested. I too have "bear paws" for hands so the fit and function will be of upmost importance. Thanks again.

#195200 - 10/28/18 12:53 PM Re: Shooting Glove Recommendations [Re: adbhowler]
S.B.
enthusiast

Loc: Central Illinois

When Max Prasac's last book came out, I contacted him about a picture in this book with gloves he uses and he responded to me, I'll have to look and see what glove, these are?
OK, I checked and they are the Pro Aims, best I've tried with my JRS 500. I think I had to order them over the net and they do come in most sizes, I too had to cut the side out of yellow work gloves when working to get them on, so ordered XLs.
Steve

Edited by S.B. (10/28/18 01:02 PM)

#195222 - 10/29/18 09:05 AM Re: Shooting Glove Recommendations [Re: S.B.]
adbhowler

content Online
Thanks Steve. I contacted them because when I went to order a pair, the website said they only had S, M and L. I have heard back from the owner and he assured me they have XL and XXL as well. I have big hands so I ordered the XXL's. Looking forward to trying them out at the range.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
2 registered (REDHAWK1954, grayghost) and 181 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Winchester Supreme
Winchester Supreme Ammo for Handgun Hunters

Hogs and Deer: Wor
Hogs and Deer: World's Apart

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.063 seconds in which 0.014 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.