Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194139 - 08/27/18 04:01 PM Re: TOO TIGHT CHAMBERS IN MODEL 83's? [Re: OFFSHORE]
Sawfish
addict

Loc: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

content Online
[quote=OFFSHOREI don't believe Sawfish needs to get all three. . .I would like one as well - LOL![/quote]

Since when does Handgun Hunting have anything to do with "need"?
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

#194180 - 09/01/18 02:54 PM Re: TOO TIGHT CHAMBERS IN MODEL 83's? [Re: Sawfish]
BBwheelgunner
veteran

Loc: Olympic Penninsula, WA

Interesting let us know what you find out. have you measured the bullets? is it possible that they are over sized and thus bulge the case too much?
Just a thought

#194288 - 09/09/18 07:26 PM Re: TOO TIGHT CHAMBERS IN MODEL 83's? [Re: OFFSHORE]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

I HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE SWIFTS AND THE CUSTOM FURY BULLETS. I HAVE BELLED THE CASE MOUTH AS MUCH AS I CAN AND STILL GET IT IN THE 454 SEATER DIE. WITH SOME OLD FREEDOM ARMS CASULL BRASS IT SEEMED LIKE SOME CASE WALLS WERE ARE TOO THICK WHICH CAUSES 1 OR BOTH OF 2 PROBLEMS, #1 IS THAT SOMETIMES THE BULLETS WON'T SEAT, AND #2 IS THAT SOMETIMES THEY DO NOT CHAMBER. I GOT SOME NEW STARLINE 454 BRASS AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I HAVE SOME WIN 454 BRASS AND IT SEEMS TO BE MORE FORGIVING. THE SWIFT AND THE FURY HAVE THICK JACKETS AND HARD CORES IN COMMON (NO GIVE IN THESE .452 BULLETS. I LOADED SOME .451 BARNES BUSTERS IN FREEDOM ARMS BRASS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. IN 2009 I LOADED SOME .452 PUNCH BULLETS IN FREEDOM ARMS CASULL BRASS WITHOUT ISSUES (BUT THE PUNCH BULLETS ARE BRASS I BELIEVE AND DO NOT GALL IN A TIGHT CASE AS DO THE SWIFTS AND THE FURY's DO ON OCCASION). THE MYSTERIES OF RELOADING. I AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME BEFORE DEER SEASON AND AM GOING TO DROP THE HV SWIFT PROJECT FOR NOW. I HAVE SOME OLDER WINCHESTER 300gr (LOOKS LIKE A FA BULLET) AMMO, THAT I HAVE SIGHTED IN A 12 INCHER FOR.

#194298 - 09/10/18 04:13 PM Re: TOO TIGHT CHAMBERS IN MODEL 83's? [Re: 45MAN]
BBwheelgunner
veteran

I was experiencing a similar situation with loading the Swift 265 A-Frames a couple years ago. No matter what I did, the were seating difficult and would even shave off some copper from the outside of the bullet that would be visible in the canalure and sometimes almost "ribbon" out the case mouth. same thing, I tried belling the case more and more and it still did it. A lot of those were with Starline brass I believe, but had the issue with some others as well.

I talked to a Swift Tech and he tried a number of different case brands and had the same thing happen but told me it shouldn't be a big deal. still seemed weird to me, why would it do that unless the bullets were oversized? a mystery indeed!

#194299 - 09/10/18 06:26 PM Re: TOO TIGHT CHAMBERS IN MODEL 83's? [Re: BBwheelgunner]
45MAN
old hand

THOSE SWIFTS ARE OVER A BUCK A BULLET SO I NEED TO FIND SOMETHING TO SHOOT THEM IN. WILL TRY SOME HOT 45 COLT LOADS. I HAVE A LOT OF DIFFERENT 45 COLT BRASS TO TRY THEM IN.

#194305 - 09/11/18 03:20 PM Re: TOO TIGHT CHAMBERS IN MODEL 83's? [Re: 45MAN]
Sawfish
addict

Loc: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia

content Online
I had the same problem, but could not figure out what I was doing wrong. Rey, let us know which 45 Colt brass works the best.
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

#194306 - 09/11/18 05:50 PM Re: TOO TIGHT CHAMBERS IN MODEL 83's? [Re: Sawfish]
45MAN
old hand

BB AND SAWFISH: I AM THINKING THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH THE SWIFT BULLETS' SIZE OR JACKET MATERIAL THAT IS NOW "COMING TO LIGHT". I DID 9 OF MY 11 AFRICAN SAFARIS USING FA CASULLS BUT WITH A 45 COLT CYLINDER. I LOADED THE 45 COLTS TO 454 EQUIVALENT LEVELS UNSING UNFIRED WW BRASS. THE FA 45 COLT CHAMBERS ARE NOT TIGHT SO THE ONCE FIRED CASES WERE USED FOR PRACTICE ROUNDS AND ALSO USED IN OTHER REVOLVERS. IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO RESIZE THEM TO FIT IN MY TIGHT LINEBAUGH REDHAWK OR AN EVEN TIGHTER JRH RUGER BISLEY. FORTUNEATELY I HAVE A LOT OF UNFIRED WW, TOP BRASS AND STARLINE (PLAIN AND NICKELED) BRASS. FIRST I THINK I WILL TRY THE WW BRASS FOR USE IN A FA 45 COLT CYLINDER, SHUD BE ABLE TO GET 1,700fps WITH THAT COMBO. 1 CAVEAT THOUGH: I DO NOT KNOW WHEN I WILL HAVE TIME TO GET TO THIS PROJECT.

#194313 - 09/11/18 10:37 PM Re: TOO TIGHT CHAMBERS IN MODEL 83's? [Re: 45MAN]
BBwheelgunner
veteran

I know what you mean, that magical time of year has snuck up on us!

Let us know what you find out whenever you get time to do it!

PS,
That is interesting that three of us have experienced that when loading the Swifts... I thought I was going crazy or didn't know what the hell I was doing HA!

#194317 - 09/11/18 11:59 PM Re: TOO TIGHT CHAMBERS IN MODEL 83's? [Re: BBwheelgunner]
tradmark
Gun Slinger

Strange stuff. Ive had one freedom arms 454 that was very tight and picky as to what it would chamber. Had them open it up a touch. Its stiff the most accurate revolver i own. I wonder if swift has some variance in their bullets or something but outside that one gun and it did it with several bullets, ive never had any of these issues with swifts and i shoot a few thousand a year so i dunno but itd be good to get to the bottom of it. Rey, bring that 12? gun to hondo and ill bring my 265 and 325 gr loads that chamber in all my 454?s (11) and lets see if theres a variance.

#194320 - 09/12/18 06:11 AM Re: TOO TIGHT CHAMBERS IN MODEL 83's? [Re: tradmark]
45MAN
old hand

I HAD A SMART IDEA LAST NIGHT, I SPRAYED THE BARNES WITH THE HORNADY CASE LUBE. FIRST TRY IN A *- CASE AND SAME PROBLEM, I CUDN'T GET IT TO SEAT. FOR SOME REASON THE SWIFT JACKET GALLS AND GETS STUCK IN THICKER WALLED CASES.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Chance Weldon, jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
8 registered (KRal, Chance Weldon, Gary, Mech 8, Gregg Richter, Sawfish) and 118 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Classic .22 Handgu
Classic .22 Handguns by Colt and Smith & Wesson

STOLEN FREEDOM ARM
STOLEN FREEDOM ARMS MODEL 83

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.