Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193493 - 07/10/18 02:18 PM 460 XVR Experiences?
Randy M
addict

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

I've searched this on here and didn't find much. That or I'm not keying the terms correctly.

Regardless, I'm looking seriously into this pistol and looking for personal experience on here. Anyone care to weigh in on this handgun? I'd most likely go with the older style in 8.3" barrel.

To piggy back on to this...I JUST bought a TC Encore, 15" .308. This is my second Encore - I sold my last one probably 10 years ago and regretted it. So, I bought another a few months ago and have spent a lot of time with it. Killed a turkey with it this past May and to be perfectly honest, as soon as I pulled the trigger I remembered why I sold my first one. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it just doesn't 'do' it for me. Maybe I'm a revolver guy (freaking love my .44 Raging Bull). Maybe I'm a big bore straight wall guy. I don't know, but it's just uninspiring to me. I'm not going to sell this one as I see a potential need for it in Fall '19, but I honestly don't know if I'll hunt with it this coming season. That probably sounds nuts to everyone on here.

Back to original topic...460 XVR...what say you, my short-barreled brethren?

Randy

#193494 - 07/10/18 03:55 PM Re: 460 XVR Experiences? [Re: Randy M]
Seminole Wind

Loc: GEORGIA

I can't help you with the 460, but I understand about the Encore. I hunted with Contenders and bottleneck cartridges successfully for 35 years, but they weren't "doing" it for me anymore. I got back into revolvers recently and the old handgun hunting excitement is back!

#193495 - 07/10/18 04:20 PM Re: 460 XVR Experiences? [Re: Seminole Wind]
Randy M
addict

Yep.

I'm keeping it because I'm hoping to hunt Antelope, Elk, or Muleys next Fall.

That being said, I'm really not sure what I'd prefer more - Killing an animal at 200+ with an encore or going home empty handed because I couldn't get inside of 100ish with a .44 or .460.

Edited by Randy M (07/10/18 04:21 PM)

#193496 - 07/10/18 05:18 PM Re: 460 XVR Experiences? [Re: Randy M]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

content Online
RE THE 460, IF YOU GET A S&W PAY THE FEW XTRA DOLLARS AND GET A PERFORMANCE CENTER GUN, IT WILL BE WELL WORTH IT! ALSO, I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED BY TRADMARK'S BISLEY BFR IN 460 THE OTHER DAY UP AT MY PLACE. THEY ARE BOTH BIG HUNKS OF IRON.

#193497 - 07/10/18 10:18 PM Re: 460 XVR Experiences? [Re: 45MAN]
Chance Weldon Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Martin, Tennessee

Ah, the Model 460 XVR. That's what I chose for my first hunting handgun, and honestly, I should have chosen something else. I mean, it's a fine handgun in the hands of a competent shooter, as some of the other guys here have proven, but I'm just not a good enough handgun shooter to handle it, even now.

One thing you have to keep in mind, even the 8 3/8" model is seriously heavy and bulky. With a scope, it's about as unwieldy as an Encore, but without the longer range capabilities. Even if you're only using the open sights, it's a huge heavy revolver. And if you're using open sights, unless you're really good with them, I just think you're wasting the potential of the revolver and its cartridge.

Also, don't plan on trying to shoot 45 Colts and 454 Casulls out of it. They won't be accurate with such a long jump their bullets have to make to the forcing cone. Might as well make some reduced loads if you want to do that.

There was one guy who used to come here that wound up taking a deer at something like 136 yards. Although some scoff at Smith & Wesson's 200 yard club promoting the 460, I certainly think it's at least capable of as a 100+ yard big game revolver.

I ended up selling that 8 3/8" XVR when my local store got a 14" Performance Center Model 460. I like it well enough, but I just can't shoot it that well. As big as it is, I might as well be packing an Encore, which would definitely let me reach out and hit far more distant deer.

I don't mean to try to scare you off from it, but you should know what you're getting yourself into when you buy one. If I had one piece of advice to give you, I'd say try to find someone who would let you shoot theirs. Otherwise, I think it comes down to the ranges you intend to shoot. If you plan to keep shots under 100 yards, I just think a smaller revolver would be better for you. But if you want to stretch it out farther than that, are capable of shooting it accurately at long range, and don't mind the weight and bulk, the 460 is definitely your ticket.

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

#193499 - 07/10/18 11:28 PM Re: 460 XVR Experiences? [Re: Chance Weldon]
Randy M
addict

Great advice from both of you - thanks!

#193504 - 07/11/18 07:42 AM Re: 460 XVR Experiences? [Re: Randy M]
cherokeetracker
addict

content Online
Randy I used to have an Xframe in the 500 S&W w/ 8 3/8" barrel. SO I can only talk about size and weight. +1 on the suggestion of getting an XFrame from the performance center if you go with a S&W. But the BFR is very accurate, and the weight is comparable. S&W 72oz and the BFR is 74oz
If you like double actions, and the grips, then the Smith is it. But if you want a Single action I would look no further than the BFR.
Remember you can go one of two ways on the grip. The Rubber or the new Bisley version Magnum Research has designed.
Now +1 on Chances post. In order to get the most from the 460 it needs to be run fast. Put a Good Scope on the pistol. I would also suggest using Jacketed bullets. Invest in a good pair of shooting gloves.

Charles
If you want the rubber grip you can find them at reduced prices. Buds gun shop had some in the 900.00 range recently. (If they still have them).

#193506 - 07/11/18 08:32 AM Re: 460 XVR Experiences? [Re: cherokeetracker]
Randy M
addict

Thank you cherokeetracker. I'll look into the BFR. I've heard nothing but good things about their handguns.

I'm leaning more and more towards getting one. Still undecided of what to do, if anything, with the encore.

The more I read up on this caliber, the more I like it. And with the right load (and tons of practice), it seems it is very capable of reaching 200 yards.

Personally, I like the older style better though in terms of appearance. I also like the extra inch+ of barrel. I also question the $400 upcharge for an integrated scope mount and sling holes.

It's heavy for sure, but that's also a draw for me. And it's still lighter than the encore.

I appreciate everyone's help.

#193512 - 07/11/18 04:52 PM Re: 460 XVR Experiences? [Re: Randy M]
csherrill

Loc: Tennessee

I too owned a S&W .460. It was an awesome handgun. Like the others have stated it is a huge gun. I ended up buying a Super Redhawk 454 and after shooting and owning both sent the 460 down the road.

#193515 - 07/11/18 05:33 PM Re: 460 XVR Experiences? [Re: Randy M]
billa
old hand

Loc: Central PA

I have a S&W 460 XVR 8 3/8 model. It?s scoped with a 2x6 Bushnell Elite mounted in a 3 ring Weigan mount. It?s definately big and heavy and the cylinder gap and muzzle blast are intense. I have hunted with it for the past 2 seasons and have bagged a Whitetail and a red sheep with it. The 460 XVR is not an all around carry gun and it?s definately not a beginners gun. For me I like it as a powerful gun that can reach out past 100yards to perhaps 200 better than my other revolvers can or as a powerful hammer for animals bigger than deer. If I am hunting deer and I am keeping my shots under 100 yards I will likely prefer a more traditional sized, 44 Magnum revolver. If I were you I would evaluate your needs and if you can get the job done with a 454 or a 44 mag I would consider one of those first. I know this sounds odd coming from an active 460 user but my point is the 460 is not for everyone.
As reference I have hunted with handguns for almost 40 years and have taken dozens of game animals with Magnum revolvers and Contender single shots. Good luck to you however you choose to go.
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
5 registered (karl, rougerocco, Frank Upp, 45MAN, rwg375) and 152 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Working Up A Load
Working Up A Load

A nerve wracking a
A nerve wracking antelope hunt

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.