Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193315 - 06/26/18 07:24 PM Crimp Dies
cherokeetracker
addict

content Online
Used to be that most of the die makers sort of took the approach that most people shoot cast or jacketed for certain calibers and thus built the crimp dies accordingly.
Lee had the different idea with the "Factory Crimp Die"
Nothing wrong with any of the above and as end users we selected the crimp that best suited our choice of bullets.
Usually a "Roll Crimp" for the cast and a "Tapered Crimp " for the Jacketed bullets. But not always. Redding came out with the "Profile Crimp" and it became popular with the AR crowd, as consumers got away from just the 223 or 5.56 in the 55gr standard stuff. As heavier calibers came along and as Handgun Hunters sometimes looked for an alternative, it seemed to make sense. Some of the bullets offered for the ARs do not have a cannelure. The "Profile Crimp is sort of a combination of the tapered crimp and the "Roll Crimp".
While a Roll crimp works good on a crimp groove and a tapered seems to be fine with no Grooved bullets, The profile will handle either. And if no cannelure is on the bullet and you do not have a cannelure Tool, then the "Profile Crimp" will work and usually it will work good.
When adjusting the amount of crimp, it is best to adjust just enough to do the job.
Going overboard can result in an unsatisfactory result. It is possible to over crimp and thus squeeze down the bullet to the appearance of a Heeled Bullet. Good Bye Accuracy. So when crimping bullets, go slow and be careful not to over do it. (Especially with a Profile Crimp) The profile Crimp is capable of squeezing a crimp groove into a jacketed bullet. There again it is unwise to do so.
I prefer to Seat first and then Crimp bullet in a separate Step. I feel this is more accurate and is better suited for myself, when seeking optimum performance.
I might point out two things and that is that Redding felt that cannelures in rifle bullets hinder accuracy so this was part of the reason for the Profile Crimp. There are a few other custom die makers that do the same crimp. Not sure who was the first.
I also did not mention Reddings Competition dies, or Wilson Dies (chamber Type)for Bottleneck cartridges,,,Both of which I use and enjoy. But those are not for what I was comparing today.

I did play around with some crimps when I first got a profile crimp die and have a few photos of a ruined bullet that was ruined and squeezed down on purpose just to see how far the crimp could go. I used my collet type puller to pull the bullet. I doubt a kinetic puller would have succeeded.

#193324 - 06/26/18 11:44 PM Re: Crimp Dies [Re: cherokeetracker]
PsTaN
addict

Loc: Alabama

IMO ... setting crimp is the "voodoo" step in reloading. Nobody can quantify or qualify what a proper crimp is, but all seem to know when it's just right. lol

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"

#193627 - 07/22/18 07:36 AM Re: Crimp Dies [Re: PsTaN]
OFFSHORE

Recently I've tried some new powders and cast bullets trying to work-up a pet load for hunting in my 445SM. After reading this post several weeks ago I've decided to try various crimps as Cherokeetracker has discussed. I have found that POI and even velocity varies (some for the better, some for the worst) to a degree with the type of crimp and how much tension that is actually applied. I have tried the roll crimp that comes from the Redding seater die, the Profile crimp from Redding and the Lee Factory Crimp die. All do a great job, but there was a for sure performance change in each load group just from changes in the crimp.

#193647 - 07/22/18 11:07 PM Re: Crimp Dies [Re: OFFSHORE]
BBwheelgunner
veteran

Loc: Olympic Penninsula, WA

I have been doing a little experimenting with different crimps with the 454 casull and the Barnes XPB. I have to shoot the last rounds I loaded in order to see what has changed, but I have a Redding profile crimp, LEE factory crimp and of course the crimp I can apply with the RSBS and LEE seater dies

#193648 - 07/22/18 11:08 PM Re: Crimp Dies [Re: BBwheelgunner]
BBwheelgunner
veteran

Cartridges like the 454 Casull definitley seem to "live or die" by the crimp

#193652 - 07/23/18 07:35 AM Re: Crimp Dies [Re: BBwheelgunner]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

TRADMARK, WHO HAS BEEN KNOWN TO LOAD HOT IN 454's AND 460's, TOLD ME THAT HE USED A MULTI-STEP CRIMPING PROCESS WITH DIFFERENT DIES. WILL SEE IF I CAN GET HIM TO SHARE THE RECIPE.

#193664 - 07/23/18 05:27 PM Re: Crimp Dies [Re: PsTaN]
Chance Weldon Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Martin, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: PsTaN
IMO ... setting crimp is the "voodoo" step in reloading. Nobody can quantify or qualify what a proper crimp is, but all seem to know when it's just right. lol

My thoughts exactly. My 2 cents: any crimp is better than no crimp with the guns and cartridges we shoot.

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

#193719 - 07/26/18 06:22 PM Re: Crimp Dies [Re: 45MAN]
BBwheelgunner
veteran

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
TRADMARK, WHO HAS BEEN KNOWN TO LOAD HOT IN 454's AND 460's, TOLD ME THAT HE USED A MULTI-STEP CRIMPING PROCESS WITH DIFFERENT DIES. WILL SEE IF I CAN GET HIM TO SHARE THE RECIPE.

Tradmark is who I got the Idea from!

So far, I haven't quite gotten the kind of results he has posted about, but I am still playing around with it.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Chance Weldon, jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
9 registered (RH Custom Guns, Subsciber, Randy M, wyote, cherokeetracker, karl, 1 invisible) and 150 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Last Day, Last Hou
Last Day, Last Hour, Halloween Pronghorn Doe

2008 Handgun Blast
2008 Handgun Blastn'Blab Shoots and Competitions

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.