Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191934 - 04/14/18 11:36 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Franchise]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

content Online
I went to handguns later in my hunting career for the challenge but also to broaden my hunting arena. Colorado even had a handgun only GMU back in the 80's for a few years.

I will never say that rifles (or hunting with them) are boring or too easy; if you think hunting with them is too easy then come hunt western coyotes, my friend.

\:\)

#191937 - 04/15/18 01:43 AM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

I will never say that rifles (or hunting with them) are too easy; if you think hunting with them is too easy then come hunt western coyotes

Gregg, Been there done that.... still easier then a handgun
Had a 100 yard broadside shot on coyote in Nevada... scoped FA`s 454 on cross sticks.. Squeezed a little to hard and bullet hit just under and between front and rear legs... Would have been real easy with rifle...Hav`ent taken a lot of western coyote, but that`s some of my experience with them......a rifle, with its butt against my shoulder, is easier to shoot them instead of a "scoped revolver" for me...much easier
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#191941 - 04/15/18 08:33 AM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter]
Franchise
Shooting Master

Loc: Castalia, NC

I'm sure it's a whole lot tougher in the open plains of the west, but here in Eastern NC, a 150 yard shot on anything is a L O N G one..Thank God I'm a Southern Boy

#191944 - 04/15/18 09:34 AM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

content Online
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey

I will never say that rifles (or hunting with them) are too easy; if you think hunting with them is too easy then come hunt western coyotes

Gregg, Been there done that.... still easier then a handgun
Had a 100 yard broadside shot on coyote in Nevada... scoped FA`s 454 on cross sticks.. Squeezed a little to hard and bullet hit just under and between front and rear legs... Would have been real easy with rifle...Hav`ent taken a lot of western coyote, but that`s some of my experience with them......a rifle, with its butt against my shoulder, is easier to shoot them instead of a "scoped revolver" for me...much easier

Agreed. Never said it wasn't.
;\)

But boring or TOO EASY?
'Nope. Never with coyotes. Even though I have killed hundreds of coyotes with my rifles, it NEVER gets boring or TOO EASY!
;\)

I have also killed over a dozen with handguns; yes much harder of course.
\:o

PS: Or prairie dogs, for that matter! I have killed hundreds of pdogs with my .223 Contender. I made and posted a short video for Gary showing me killing a pdog; wonder if I can find it...

#191946 - 04/15/18 09:51 AM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter]
Randy M
addict

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

content Online
I grew up with a rifle in my hands. Started bow hunting in high school and still love that today. But...I use to work with someone who was a handgun hunter. And honestly, his excitement is what lead me to buying an Encore in .44 mag. The day I killed my first animal (whitetail doe) was pretty much the day I put rifles down. I've been addicted to it ever since. That was almost 20 years ago.

In the last 20 years handguns have become a borderline obsession for me. I even taught the CHL class here in Texas for 10 years.

#191947 - 04/15/18 10:04 AM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Randy M]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

I have just always liked handguns of any kind.
I own rifles, and hunt, compete, and shoot them from time to time, but handguns always hit the spot for me.
I do a little archery, but black powder has just never tripped my trigger.

#191951 - 04/15/18 11:42 AM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: Gregg Richter]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

I have also killed over a dozen with handguns; yes much harder of course.

That's all I was saying you old cowboy....
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#191955 - 04/15/18 12:24 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: jamesfromjersey]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Living where I am I was never exposed to hunting and purchased handguns to shoot targets. A Python, Gold Cup and S&W m-25

JAMES: YOU CERTAINLY BOUGHT GOOD STUFF EARLY ON. BACK IN THE 70's WHEN GUYS WERE LUSTING AFTER 29's ME I LUSTED AFTER A MODEL 25 IN 45 ACP/45 AR. A BEAUTIFUL AND FANTASTIC REVOLVER. I AM THINNING MY GUN ACCUMULATION BUT I PLAN TO DIE OWNING THE 25. I NOW HAVE IT SET UP FOR A 1,000 fps 240 WFN AR ("AUTO RIM", THE ORIGINAL "AR") LOAD FROM REED'S AMMO, AND EVEN LOADED UP SOME SNAKE SHOT LOADS IN 45 AR CASES USING 45 COLT SHOT CAPSULES FROM SPEER. A KEEPER GUN AND COMBO FOR SURE!

#191957 - 04/15/18 12:43 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

RE RIFLES BEING EASIER TO SHOOT THAN HANDGUNS, WHICH IS TRUE, HERE IS WHY I THINK IT IS TRUE: 1) DEER HUNTERS WHO SHOOT 2 OR 3 SHOTS A YEAR, IF THAT MUCH, OF ANY KIND OF RIFLE OR HANDGUN, REGULARLY BAG THEIR DEER, BUT GIVE 'EM A HANDGUN AND THEY WOULD BE IN TROUBLE; 2) THE FASTER THE BULLET LEAVES THE BARREL THE LESS EFFECT A SMALL ERROR IN TRIGGER PULL OR SIGHTING WILL HAVE; 3) IN MANY CASES THE RIFLE IS AN INHERENTLY MORE ACCURATE PLATFORM THAN A HANDGUN; 4) LOCK TIME (THE TIME BETWEEN THE TRIGGER PULL AND IGNITION) ON RIFLES IS GENERALLY QUICKER THAT ON MOST HANDGUNS, ESPECIALLY REVOLVERS, WHICH AGAIN LESSENS THE EFFECT OF SMALL TRIGGER PULL OR SIGHTING ERRORS; 5) USUALLY IT IS EASIER TO GET A BETTER REST, BE STEADIER WITH A RIFLE, ESPECIALLY IN FIELD CONDITIONS; AND 6) GENERALLY, A RIFLE WILL EXTEND YOUR RANGE OVER HANDGUNS.

RIFLES MAY BE EASIER BUT I STILL ADMIRE THE RIFLE SHOOTERS WHO WORK AT IT, PRACTICE, etc., IT TAKES MORE TO BE A TRUE "RIFLEMAN" THAN JUST OWNING ONE.

#191958 - 04/15/18 01:22 PM Re: The Challenge Of Handgun Hunting [Re: 45MAN]
Teep
journeyman

Loc: MO

I wanted a handgun when I was a kid but my Dad wouldn't buy me one. After college I purchased a couple of .22lr revolvers and started using them to shoot rabbits, squirrels, and groundhogs. After returning from the Army I purchased a Contender with three barrels; .22lr, .256 Win. Magnum, and a .44 Magnum. After all my guns were stolen and having a family I only shot long guns until a couple years ago when I again got a pair of S&W's to hunt with and self defense. I just always liked the challenge and also being easy to carry all day. I still miss the .256 Win., a lot of groundhogs fell to it.

Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
9 registered (RH Custom Guns, Subsciber, Randy M, wyote, cherokeetracker, karl, 1 invisible) and 150 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Alaskan Spring Bla
Alaskan Spring Black Bear

Last Day, Last Hou
Last Day, Last Hour, Halloween Pronghorn Doe

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.029 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.