Page 4 of 37 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190467 - 03/15/18 12:18 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: racksmasher1]
Zee
Gun Slinger

Originally Posted By: racksmasher1
Zee, I had no idea, lol!

Well, I been giving eyes to you for awhile now. You just haven?t been paying attention.

:-)

#190468 - 03/15/18 12:24 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: racksmasher1]
tradmark
Gun Slinger

Originally Posted By: racksmasher1
Mark, I never had to shoot a Deer twice with a Handgun, I like Hornady bullets, they work for me, I will be testing the 300 grain XTP in my new Freedom next week on our little group hunt.

I thought animals other than deer were on the menu as well. Il used em on elk, the elk was dead. The fact it took 3 thru the vitals lead me to assume it was a failure despite looking at a dead animal. Good luck on you guys hunt next week and i look forward to seeing the results.

#190474 - 03/15/18 02:59 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: Zee]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Originally Posted By: Zee

I have stood over a dead animal killed with one shot. Opened it up and surveyed the internal results and not liked what I saw. The bullet worked, the animal is dead, but maybe I didn?t get the amount of damage or expansion/penetration I wanted. Ultimately deciding to use a different bullet next time or at a later date.

and so it goes..... the more you hunt...the better you know what a bullet can and cannot do.....I found one caliber that I could cross the line to where performance suffers is the .41...I`ve had great results especially with the a-frame, but twice I used them on large boar that overwhelmed its capabilities. Both animals died but after more shots then I was comfortable with.. A mistake on my part by not matching the bullet to the game...
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#190475 - 03/15/18 03:38 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Franchise
Shooting Master

Loc: Castalia, NC

Every time that I've ever had an issue is when I mismatched the appropriate bullet/gun combo to the game that I was hunting.

#190478 - 03/15/18 06:30 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: Franchise]
Zee
Gun Slinger

I used to be happy with a simple dead animal. Years ago. Now, I want to know how. I want to know why.

My thirst for knowledge has ruined my simple hunting days. No longer a hunt. They are quests for understanding of terminal performance.

The science of death intrigues me. What caused it. How to cause it.

Such is my lot in life.

#190480 - 03/15/18 06:36 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
[quote=Zee]

I`ve had great results especially with the a-frame, but twice I used them on large boar that overwhelmed its capabilities. Both animals died but after more shots then I was comfortable with.. A mistake on my part by not matching the bullet to the game...

If the A-frame was overtaxed, consider how much worse it would have been had you used an XTP!

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

#190481 - 03/15/18 06:44 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: Zee]
tradmark
Gun Slinger

Originally Posted By: Zee
I used to be happy with a simple dead animal. Years ago. Now, I want to know how. I want to know why.

My thirst for knowledge has ruined my simple hunting days. No longer a hunt. They are quests for understanding of terminal performance.

The science of death intrigues me. What caused it. How to cause it.

Such is my lot in life.

Im the same. I had two bellweather events that caused me to start investigating. One was a rifle elk hunt that went bad with a good shot but a trusted bullet went to hell and turned 90 degrees and became a long long two days to recovery. The other was another elk hunt with my 454 and instead of a crushing blow a trusted bullet led me on a long long chase that led me on a long long chase and got off the mountain 20 hrs later. Dead animal but dang, not good.

#190484 - 03/15/18 08:22 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: tradmark]
sixshot
addict

I've held off on this one, wanting to read some of the responses from others because this one can get very complicated & also quite heated.
We all go off of personal experience, the more experience, the more chance for failure, success & opinions that can be flexible or maybe 100% based on just 1 or 2 shots. If they were good it's a great bullet, if we made a bad hit or missed it was the bullets fault, just human nature.
I personally don't think there are any bad bullets, I just think they can be used for the wrong situation & bad things happen. I've heard stories of the shot being absolutely perfect yet the animal escapes & is never recovered, how do we know it was a perfect shot if we don't find the animal.
Use any bullet outside it's parameters & bad things "might" happen, sometimes we get lucky & it still works out. I'll give you an example.
Back in the very early 70's me & a friend were deer hunting & we had tied our horses in the shade next to a nice little Beaver pond (full of trout) & started hunting a stand of Quakeys. We spotted some deer but didn't shoot anything & it started to get dark. On the way back down I happend to look up on the skyline & spotted a spike bull elk. If he hadn't been sky lined I never would have seen him.
I had an elk tag in my pocket but was packing a Ruger 6mm with 85 gr. Nolser Solid Base bullets because I was deer hunting. I had won the rifle the year before in a big bull elk contest, it was one of the very first flat bolt 6mm's ever made.
The shot as I remember was about 80-90 yds steep up hill & I held on the base of his throat. At the shot he disappeared & neither of us could tell if I had hit him or if he had ran. we walked up hill but now it was dark so we walked back down to where I had shot from & looked again.
We spread out & went back up & my buddy Gene stepped right on his legs. That Nosler Solid Base, against all odds had killed that bull, wrong bullet, light caliber & a full blown lucky shot.
So, what makes a bad hit, many things. Bad shooting, wrong bullets, too far away, sometimes too close & the bullet explodes on impact. Bad angles can do it, hunting isn't written in stone, once we pull the trigger lots of things can & do happen, some are good & some are bad, some can be explained, some can't, some are imagined.
Then there are times the perfect bullet is used & put in the perfect place but the animal actually over powers the bullet, yes it does happen. You do everything right & still it takes 3-4-5 shots or more on a Cape Buffalo, Elephant, Lion, etc & still the animals soaks up bullet energy long enough to put up a fight, there's enough oxygen in their system to stay up & be a danger for a long period of time. Nothing is guaranteed in hunting, nothing.

Dick

#190485 - 03/15/18 08:44 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: sixshot]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

Well said Dick

#190486 - 03/15/18 08:47 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: sixshot]
tradmark
Gun Slinger

Nope. Nothing is guaranteed. I had a run of 4 elk just awesome performance, then a run of bad performance. Started video nearly all my hunts so i could know with certainty where the bullets hit.

Page 4 of 37 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
0 registered and 159 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Last Day, Last Hou
Last Day, Last Hour, Halloween Pronghorn Doe

222 Remington
222 Remington

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.025 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.