veteran

Loc: New York

Zee, I had no idea, lol!

#190453 - 03/15/18 06:48 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: racksmasher1]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: racksmasher1
If I?m looking at a dead animal, the bullet did its job.

I think blindly accepting a kill as a bullet success might be inviting disaster. It could be happenstance and a little luck that was more responsible for the demise of the animal than the bullet doing its job as designed. This is why we perform necropsies on all the animals we kill. I just have to know what happened....

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

#190454 - 03/15/18 07:03 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: tradmark]
racksmasher1
veteran

Loc: New York

Mark, I never had to shoot a Deer twice with a Handgun, I like Hornady bullets, they work for me, I will be testing the 300 grain XTP in my new Freedom next week on our little group hunt.

#190455 - 03/15/18 07:07 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: Whitworth]
45MAN
addict

Loc: brownsville, texas

I HAVE NOT DECIDED WHAT I WOULD DEFINE AS BULLET FAILURE BUT I DO KNOW THIS: WHATEVER BULLET FAILURE MAY BE, THE RIGHT BULLET AT THE CORRECT VELOCITY LOWERS THE CHANCES OF BULLET FAILURE. SIMPLY THAT IT KILLED MAY NOT BE ENUFF AS YOU MIGHT NOT BE SO LUCKY NEXT TIME.

#190460 - 03/15/18 09:44 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: racksmasher1]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Expert

Loc: Colorado

...in my new Freedom...

PICTURES PLEASE!!!

#190461 - 03/15/18 10:19 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: Raptortrapper]
Franchise
Shooting Master

Loc: Castalia, NC

Between Jim, Matthew, Cole, and I, we will have a bunch of pictures...All different guns (types/styles), various bullet configurations, and all different sizes of animals....from 22 mag, 35 Remington, 44 Mag, 50 AE, 500 S&W, and a 450 Alaskan...all pistols, all day

#190462 - 03/15/18 10:24 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: Whitworth]
Zee
Gun Slinger

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

I think blindly accepting a kill as a bullet success might be inviting disaster. It could be happenstance and a little luck that was more responsible for the demise of the animal than the bullet doing its job as designed. This is why we perform necropsies on all the animals we kill. I just have to know what happened....

I have stood over a dead animal killed with one shot. Opened it up and surveyed the internal results and not liked what I saw. The bullet worked, the animal is dead, but maybe I didn?t get the amount of damage or expansion/penetration I wanted. Ultimately deciding to use a different bullet next time or at a later date.

A recent example, I have been using the 165gr Sierra HPBT-GK in .308 Win to cull a bunch of deer and pigs the past couple months. They have all died but the internal damage or the recovered bullets aren?t what I?m looking for.

Not pleased with the bullet and could say it has ?failed? in that respect. But, it?s killed everything I?ve shot with it. The end result? I will use up the loads I have left.........and switch to the ELD-Match. A bullet not designed for hunting but that gives me ?better? results.

Waste not. Want not. Got the Sierras loaded. Just don?t like them.

#190464 - 03/15/18 11:41 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: racksmasher1]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

You took the words......................
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#190465 - 03/15/18 11:44 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: Zee]
Shootist

Originally Posted By: Zee
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

I have stood over a dead animal killed with one shot. Opened it up and surveyed the internal results and not liked what I saw. The bullet worked, the animal is dead, but maybe I didn?t get the amount of damage or expansion/penetration I wanted. Ultimately deciding to use a different bullet next time or at a later date.

A recent example, I have been using the 165gr Sierra HPBT-GK in .308 Win to cull a bunch of deer and pigs the past couple months. They have all died but the internal damage or the recovered bullets aren?t what I?m looking for.

Not pleased with the bullet and could say it has ?failed? in that respect. But, it?s killed everything I?ve shot with it. The end result? I will use up the loads I have left.........and switch to the ELD-Match. A bullet not designed for hunting but that gives me ?better? results.

Waste not. Want not. Got the Sierras loaded. Just don?t like them.

pretty much how it goes
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#190466 - 03/15/18 11:50 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Shootist

you have all heard the expression "match the bullet to the game". After 35+ years of hunting with a handgun I found that by following those words the chances of bullet failure or lost game go down tremendously....todays hunting bullets are of a pretty basic design.... Some differences here and there... Some good and some not so good...About 10 years ago I compared recovered XTP vs Swift bullets... The better bullet? Swift...However, from the size and weight category of the animals taken, the XTP`s did what they were suppose to.... Match the bullet to the game and put one in the kill zone and you should have you trophy...

Page 3 of 37 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
2 registered (Gregg Richter, Zee) and 62 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Right and wrong pl
Right and wrong place to hit a boar

Handguns For Disab
Handguns For Disabled Hunters

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.018 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.