Rate This Topic
#190374 - 03/13/18 03:04 PM bullet failure
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

How do you guys define bullet failure??
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#190375 - 03/13/18 03:12 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Expert

Loc: Colorado

If the critter was shot properly (define "properly"), but lived or died slowly.

Edit: "Bullet failure" can sometimes be confused with "user error". As in using an expanding bullet but expecting hard cast results, or vise versa.

#190379 - 03/13/18 04:54 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: Raptortrapper]
Zee
Gun Slinger

:popcorn:

#190380 - 03/13/18 05:06 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: Zee]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

In my opinion, a bullet can be terminal in effect and still fail. Examples of bullet failure are expandables that don?t open, or cup and core bullets that experience core separation. Cast bullets that have their noses wiped off or that fragment are also failures. Bullets that vear off course or tumble have also failed. Just because it kills the animal doesn?t mean it didn?t fail as designed to perform.

Edited by Whitworth (03/13/18 05:51 PM)

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

#190403 - 03/14/18 11:20 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: Whitworth]
JDK
enthusiast

Loc: Texas Hill Country

content Online
Mainly due to military FMJ use, some rounds are designed to tumble, so that may not be technically a failure, if that's the design. So, I'd say it fails if it does not perform as designed. That's pretty much along the lines of Whit's above post. The confusing part is that a bullet failure can result in an ideal game kill. Sometimes an autopsy is required. It has been an issue for a long time. Al Georg placed a brass screw in the nose of a hollow point bullet and killed a bear with it. Later, folks milled slugs from architectural bronze, and other metal, to increase performance. It is a fascinating subject.

Edited by JDK (03/14/18 11:20 AM)

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#190404 - 03/14/18 11:51 AM Re: bullet failure [Re: JDK]
Zee
Gun Slinger

Originally Posted By: JDK
I'd say it fails if it does not perform as designed.

To which I?ll add: Or does not produce the intended result.

Reason I add this is because I often use bullets for that which they were not designed. And get the precise results I want. Which means there was no failure in my book.

For example, I use Hornady A-Max and ELD-Match bullets almost exclusively for bottleneck cartridge hunting bullets and get exceptional terminal performance from them. A purpose for which they were not designed. They often over expand or separate, but produce adequate penetration and better terminal performance than many ?hunting bullets? I?ve tried. So, for my purpose, they did not fail.

Another example, is that I often push Hornady XTP bullets WAY above their velocity threshold and get over expansion and separation. With excellent terminal performance. They did not fail to give me the results I wanted even knowing I was pushing them beyond their design limitations.

So, there are manufacturers standards and the end users. Failure can be subjective sometimes.

#190405 - 03/14/18 12:18 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: Zee]
Whitworth
Shootist

Good post!

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

#190406 - 03/14/18 12:37 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: Whitworth]
karl
addict

Loc: Minnesota

A bit like obscenity I think. Ya know it when ya see it.

The flippant response is "One that doesn't go where I want it to go" while the personal response is "One that leaves lead particles in the food I feed my family"

As Zee points out, lots of of ways to measure success/failure

#190408 - 03/14/18 01:44 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: Zee]
tradmark
Gun Slinger

Originally Posted By: Zee
 Originally Posted By: JDK
I'd say it fails if it does not perform as designed.

To which I?ll add: Or does not produce the intended result.

Reason I add this is because I often use bullets for that which they were not designed. And get the precise results I want. Which means there was no failure in my book.

For example, I use Hornady A-Max and ELD-Match bullets almost exclusively for bottleneck cartridge hunting bullets and get exceptional terminal performance from them. A purpose for which they were not designed. They often over expand or separate, but produce adequate penetration and better terminal performance than many ?hunting bullets? I?ve tried. So, for my purpose, they did not fail.

Another example, is that I often push Hornady XTP bullets WAY above their velocity threshold and get over expansion and separation. With excellent terminal performance. They did not fail to give me the results I wanted even knowing I was pushing them beyond their design limitations.

So, there are manufacturers standards and the end users. Failure can be subjective sometimes.

Yes to this, but what may be good performance on smaller game i might not use on a moose or elk and/or dangerous animals. One thing i consider abject failure is when two identical bullets from the same manufacturer is shot into the same animal and one seperates and fails and the 2nd fails to expand at all. This i find troubling.

#190409 - 03/14/18 02:00 PM Re: bullet failure [Re: tradmark]
Whitworth
Shootist

Are you talking about a particular red stag that weighed in around 350-lbs give or take? 300 grain Mag XTP from a .45 Colt??

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Page 1 of 37 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
1 registered (racksmasher1) and 95 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
A Contender Buck
A Contender Buck

Backpack Hunting
Backpack Hunting

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.022 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.