Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189097 - 01/25/18 11:01 AM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: az_shooter]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

Originally Posted By: az_shooter
I think a S&W 329PD would fit the bill, a DA/SA .44 mag revolver that is ~25 oz. empty. Granted I wouldn't want to shoot full-tilt .44 loads all day, but you aren't looking for a plinking gun.

My thoughts precisely, az-shooter. I have carried mine for all of the above and also many many miles on horseback.

My other favorite choice would be a short barrel SBH; mine is a customized version. But the 329 would be lighter and is a double action which means it could be fired faster that way in an emergency situation if needed.

There's more than one way to skin a coyote.

The only man smarter than a wise old coyote is the one that gets him.

#189098 - 01/25/18 01:30 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: JDK]
Jeff460

Loc: Kansas

I would recommend a gun that is easy to carry but powerful when called upon. I like double-action revolvers because if you break your arm or have to defend yourself with one arm and still need to shoot you just pull the trigger and BOOM!!
The Model 69 Smith and Wesson with a 4.25 inch stainless steel barrel is light at 34-37 ounces. It only holds 5 rounds and is easy to carry. And 44 magnum has every loading from mild to wild to shoot. And 44 Special is also a round to use in a Model 69 Smith and Wesson. Go with the 4.25 barrel and not the 2.75 inch barrel. Just my two cents worth buddy.

#189106 - 01/25/18 07:12 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: Jeff460]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

The 329 is 12 ounces lighter than the 69 and holds 6 rounds if you so desire. Both same barrel lengths (well almost: 4.125" vs. 4.25")
\:\)

Also, IMO the sights are superior on the 329: Light Gathering HI-VIZ? Red Dot front and black v-notch rear, adjustable; vs. the 69: Front Sight: Red Ramp and Rear Sight: White Outline, Adjustable.

Jeff, that one-armed thing you wrote is almost a "digital copy" of what I have written before in these pages and also tell the women in my handgun classes (and guys for that matter)
I have taught quite a few ladies and girls and guys to shoot and I always use similar wording when asked to recommend a self-defense handgun, especially for the in-experienced.

And when I was a Certified Handgun Hunting Tester for the old Colorado Division of Wildlife I also expressed those ideas to my prospective hunters and actually had a few of them change their handgun to a DA when it came time to qualify.
;\)

There's more than one way to skin a coyote.

The only man smarter than a wise old coyote is the one that gets him.

#189109 - 01/25/18 08:41 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: JDK]
GG

I have been trying to find the perfect gun for many years. Dozens and counting. Hope I never find it......lol

#189110 - 01/25/18 08:48 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: Gregg Richter]
JDK

Loc: Texas Hill Country

content Online
I agree with Gregg. If it is not absolutely reflexive, you will not do it in a crisis. That includes cocking a hammer. Thats really only important during self defense use, so it may not weigh heavily in your decision, but it's good to keep in mind if your carrying for protection.

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#189111 - 01/25/18 09:06 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: GG]
ScoutV2

Loc: Georgia

Thanks for all the information. I believe I will start looking for a 44. I want something I can shoot a lot with many different loads so I will probably lean towards a Ruger. I?m not super concerned about the weight. I?m not a big fan of the scandium frames.

#189112 - 01/25/18 09:19 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: JDK]
Muddy
enthusiast

Loc: Missouri

With the criteria given:

Easy for all day carry
Factory ammo
Powerful enough for up to black bears/hogs
May use for some hunting
Would like to someday go where bigger stuff roams....

My choices would be one of these two;

S&W 4" M629
Ruger Super BH 4 5/8" SS

Both 44 mags of course. You'll be able to get ammo anywhere and it will be powerful enough for your needs. The choice between these two is simply SA vs. DA and there are volumes written and opinions vary...all correct of course.
\:\)
The 329 Smith is a great gun to carry but can be a tough one too shoot for some. You want your gun to be fun to shoot. My choices are probably biased because I have been shooting N frame Smiths and Ruger BH's as long as I've been shooting.

Dan

#189118 - 01/25/18 10:41 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: ScoutV2]
BRASF0311
enthusiast

Loc: VIRGINIA

I just picked up one of these as a "Do-It-All" gun, and so far, it's awesome. The 45 acp is cheap to shoot, and the 45 Colt can be loaded heavy enough for anything I will encounter. I added Fiber Optic sights to mine.

Ruger's Video

Gunblast Review

#189119 - 01/25/18 10:50 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: BRASF0311]
JDK

Loc: Texas Hill Country

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BRASF0311
I just picked up one of these as a "Do-It-All" gun, and so far, it's awesome. The 45 acp is cheap to shoot, and the 45 Colt can be loaded heavy enough for anything I will encounter. I added Fiber Optic sights to mine.

Ruger's Video

Gunblast Review

To borrow a phrase from John Taffin, that is a perfect packing' pistol!

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#189120 - 01/25/18 11:24 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: JDK]
BRASF0311
enthusiast

Loc: VIRGINIA

It carries well in a pancake holster, and it also shoots 45 Super, 460 Rowland, and 45 Schofield ammo. Not all that common of ammo, but it's out there, and it just adds to the versatility of the revolver. Kind of reminiscent of the old Medusa gun concept, but in a big bore now.

Medusa M-47

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
6 registered (mart, kalhoon, billa, s4s4u, Bud Rummel, JDK) and 83 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
Gregg Richter
Chance Weldon
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
MARCH TO THE BEAT
MARCH TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUM, OR  INSURMOUNTABLE ODDS?

Selecting Your Fir
Selecting Your First Hunting Handgun

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.072 seconds in which 0.014 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.