Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189041 - 01/24/18 03:30 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: az_shooter]
Gary Administrator
Distinguished Master

Loc: Austin, TX USA

I would go with a 44 Magnum personally. It has distinct advantages in off-the-shelf ammo options over any other cartridge in the same class. I would suggest a barrel length for a revolver of 4 3/4 to 6" but I would personally opt for the shorter one. I would't go below that length because they get too hard to shoot accurately at any distance given a short sight radius and the thickness of the front sight relative to the target. I don't care for DA guns so I would be looking at a Ruger or BFR. At the end of the day, plan on spending a lot of time shooting the gun if you want to be proficient with it.

#189049 - 01/24/18 05:21 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: Gary]
Walkingthemup
addict

Loc: this side of the black stump

First principle: "The best gun for the job is the one you have on you at the time you need it".

It might sound trite, but the point is that what you need is something that is so comfortable to carry that you won't be tempted to leave it at home. You've already indicated a requirement for a revolver so I would suggest something not too heavy and a barrel length of 4-5" Maximum.

You stated "Don?t plan to hunt but would like to have something for worst case I can?t run away situation". To me this indicates that your primary driver is black bear defense up close and personal. If so we're talking about quick response shooting at a charging target. While placement is still required, finesse may not be an option. Therefore I'd be choosing either a .44 or .45/.454 calibre option.

I don't know anything about ammo availability in your area and so can't comment on that aspect. A quick tour around the local gunshops will tell you whats readily on the shelves. This may be irrelevant if you will only be carrying for protection and only doing and minimum of practice. A couple of boxes a year may be all you need.

A 24/7 all weather carry workhorse suggests stainless construction.

Actually I'd go Glock 10mm, however you've specified revolver. So I'd kinda swing to a DA rather than SA due to ease of load and unload. Also DA for rapid multiple shots. But then that's just me. There are plenty of people on this forum with vastly greater experience who'd choose SA. You need to work out what works for you.

You've specified iron sights. If possible try out a fibre optic front sight for quick pickup.

Put these together and possibilities include the Ruger Redhawk with 4.2" barrel, Ruger Toklat (possibly too heavy/bulky but varies with the individual), S&W 629/329 with 4-5" barrel. Alternatively any SA of that size. Stick with a reliable brand.

#189053 - 01/24/18 07:28 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: Walkingthemup]
Ramjet-SS
enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin North East

The 10mm revolver from Glock G20 or G40 lol

Edited by Ramjet-SS (01/24/18 07:28 PM)

#189055 - 01/24/18 07:44 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: Walkingthemup]
ScoutV2
journeyman

Loc: Georgia

Originally Posted By: Walkingthemup
First principle: "The best gun for the job is the one you have on you at the time you need it".

It might sound trite, but the point is that what you need is something that is so comfortable to carry that you won't be tempted to leave it at home. You've already indicated a requirement for a revolver so I would suggest something not too heavy and a barrel length of 4-5" Maximum.

You stated "Don?t plan to hunt but would like to have something for worst case I can?t run away situation". To me this indicates that your primary driver is black bear defense up close and personal. If so we're talking about quick response shooting at a charging target. While placement is still required, finesse may not be an option. Therefore I'd be choosing either a .44 or .45/.454 calibre option.

I don't know anything about ammo availability in your area and so can't comment on that aspect. A quick tour around the local gunshops will tell you whats readily on the shelves. This may be irrelevant if you will only be carrying for protection and only doing and minimum of practice. A couple of boxes a year may be all you need.

A 24/7 all weather carry workhorse suggests stainless construction.

Actually I'd go Glock 10mm, however you've specified revolver. So I'd kinda swing to a DA rather than SA due to ease of load and unload. Also DA for rapid multiple shots. But then that's just me. There are plenty of people on this forum with vastly greater experience who'd choose SA. You need to work out what works for you.

You've specified iron sights. If possible try out a fibre optic front sight for quick pickup.

Put these together and possibilities include the Ruger Redhawk with 4.2" barrel, Ruger Toklat (possibly too heavy/bulky but varies with the individual), S&W 629/329 with 4-5" barrel. Alternatively any SA of that size. Stick with a reliable
brand.

Thanks for the input. I will probably hunt deer with said revolver. But black bear have moved in on our hunting property. I know they are generally calm. Just want more than my LCR and single shot pistol with me if it went south. I really like the Toklat. Just don?t know if the 45/454 is what I need.

#189056 - 01/24/18 07:45 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: ScoutV2]
ScoutV2
journeyman

Also have hopes and dreams of going out west and Alaska. Bucket list style!

#189060 - 01/24/18 08:58 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: ScoutV2]
racksmasher1
old hand

Loc: New York

5.5? 45 Colt or 5.5 44 mag

#189063 - 01/24/18 09:52 PM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: racksmasher1]
ruger4570
enthusiast

Loc: Illinois

Based on your needs I would give a lot of consideration to a 4.2" or 5.5" Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag or 45 colt, or a Smith 29 variation in 44 mag for DA revolvers.
For a SA revolver look at the Ruger Super Blackhawk in 4 5/8" or 5.5". Also the Blackhawk in 45.

#189086 - 01/25/18 08:01 AM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: ruger4570]
500WE
Pooh-Bah

Loc: North Carolina

A Toklat wouldn't be my first choice, because a .454 is more than is necessary for your stated needs, and powerful-enough .45 Colt ammo is hard to find off the shelf.
But you've hit us over the head twice saying you really like the gun (and we've kind of failed to listen) so buy it.
Nevertheless, in my view a .357 or .44 Mag. is plenty for your needs as I understand them. I agree with Gary's advice.

#189089 - 01/25/18 08:53 AM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: 500WE]
ScoutV2
journeyman

Not trying to hit anyone over the head here... just wanting information. Yours is great. I don?t know much about the 45 colt. So if you are suggesting that off the shelf 45 colt is not enough and 454 is too much that is useful information and I appreciate it. Thank you

#189095 - 01/25/18 10:41 AM Re: Universal Hunting/Hiking/Camping Revolver [Re: ScoutV2]
JDK

Loc: Texas Hill Country

Originally Posted By: ScoutV2
Not trying to hit anyone over the head here... just wanting information. Yours is great. I don?t know much about the 45 colt. So if you are suggesting that off the shelf 45 colt is not enough and 454 is too much that is useful information and I appreciate it. Thank you

I believe with the .45, you may find yourself in the same situation as the 10mm, with much of the ammo being sedate. Much of the .45 Colt ammo is made to work in all guns chambered for it, like old Colts and Italian replicas. It sounds like you would be interested mainly in the so-called "Ruger Only" loads, so named because Ruger was the first maker to mass market guns capable of handling more powerful loads. These are easily found on the 'net, but not in Walmart. They aren't cheap though. As a matter of fact, these boutique loads in all calibers are down right expensive IMHO. Anyway, .357 and .44 Magnums don't really have this issue since they don't need to be run hotter than spec., though hot boutique loads are available for them as well. That said, if you buy or load hot ammo, the .45 can do more than the .44. I've never had one, so I can't say if the difference is appreciable. But, it exists on paper for sure.

I've not had a .454 either, but it's reputation for recoil seems well deserved. So, it in a short barrel may be rough. I have shot a shortish FA .475 Linebaugh and it wasn't something I'd use for a plinking session! Plus, the .454 may not be as efficient as other rounds in a short barrel. I don't really know. Again, as for as cost, I can't see the .454 being nearly as cheap or available as the common magnums.

Though I have a custom Dave Clements 4" Redhawk, I ended up getting a Glock 29 10mm for hiking in questionable (animal wise) places and working on my land where hogs roam. The reason being that I shoot Glocks regularly, so it's natural for fast shooting, and it's a true pleasure to carry.

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
1 registered (KRal) and 64 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
Franchise
  Member Hunts
Tag Team Tag Out.
Tag Team Tag Out.

An 8 The Hard Way
An 8 The Hard Way

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.