Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188704 - 01/16/18 12:04 PM Re: I apologize in advance [Re: longhunter]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

content Online
 Originally Posted By: longhunter
to any s&w fans I may offend, but this might be the ugliest damn revolver I've ever seen. At least in the top five.

\:D

#188729 - 01/16/18 07:58 PM Re: I apologize in advance [Re: Gregg Richter]
junebug
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bardstown ,Ky

While I agree that the aesthetics leave something to be desired
;\)
Pretty is as pretty does and the one I sighted in for a friend shot VERY VERY WELL!!!!!!!!!

Edited by junebug (01/16/18 08:01 PM)

#188746 - 01/17/18 01:35 PM Re: I apologize in advance [Re: longhunter]
curioushooter
stranger

Loc: Indiana

Well, it looks like it would be functional, but I am really starting to wonder about these exotic revolvers.

Except for the Nagant Revolver, every one of them has a cylinder gap, and with these extreme chamber pressures, you are really running up against a performance barrier and making them hazardous. Seeing one severed finger was enough to turn me off to them. Freedom Arms is the only company that keeps the gap so tight it doesn't seem to matter too much, and only through extraordinary expense are they able to do that.

Why not just put it in a Contender or a bolt-action handgun? No cylinder gap to erode or sever fingers with, no variation chamber to chamber hobbling accuracy, easy to mount optics on, less weight.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE S&W revolvers. It just that they perfected the revolver in 1935 with the N-Frame 357 Mag. Nothing since has gotten me excited. K frames had their problems. L frames never looked as proportional and elegant, and I appreciate the extra weight with stout loads. 44 Mag is overkill for me unless it is loaded down to 44 Special levels. There is still no handgun I shoot better than my Model 28-2, and if I were told I could only have one firearm, that would be the one.

#188775 - 01/18/18 05:43 AM Re: I apologize in advance [Re: jamesfromjersey]
James1979
stranger

You have a straight fluted barrel, with no obstructions, which made it pleasing to the eye. On a high performance handgun like that, a scope and not a front sight is what`s needed.......
I was impressed how by simply removing such a small piece could change the look of the handgun

Edited by James1979 (01/31/18 09:17 AM)

#188792 - 01/18/18 12:15 PM Re: I apologize in advance [Re: curioushooter]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

content Online
 Originally Posted By: curioushooter
Well, it looks like it would be functional, but I am really starting to wonder about these exotic revolvers.

Except for the Nagant Revolver, every one of them has a cylinder gap, and with these extreme chamber pressures, you are really running up against a performance barrier and making them hazardous. Seeing one severed finger was enough to turn me off to them. Freedom Arms is the only company that keeps the gap so tight it doesn't seem to matter too much, and only through extraordinary expense are they able to do that.

Why not just put it in a Contender or a bolt-action handgun? No cylinder gap to erode or sever fingers with, no variation chamber to chamber hobbling accuracy, easy to mount optics on, less weight.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE S&W revolvers. It just that they perfected the revolver in 1935 with the N-Frame 357 Mag. Nothing since has gotten me excited. K frames had their problems. L frames never looked as proportional and elegant, and I appreciate the extra weight with stout loads. 44 Mag is overkill for me unless it is loaded down to 44 Special levels. There is still no handgun I shoot better than my Model 28-2, and if I were told I could only have one firearm, that would be the one.

If S&W had quit bringing out "new" stuff after they "perfected" the revolver in 1935, they would be long out of business.

As a matter of fact, several years ago they made a Corporate decision to only produce weapons for the police and military markets and only sell to the same. Anybody remember this?

At any rate, that damn near put them out of business so they reversed that decision; lucky for us. This is just another example of how companies have to continually develop and bring out new products AND TRY TO DEVELOP NEW MARKETS, not decrease their existing market, to stay alive.

So again, developing new and innovative products, including "ugly" revolvers, keeps their cash flow going; that way they stay in business, and we the shooters get new toys to play with!

#188798 - 01/18/18 01:11 PM Re: I apologize in advance [Re: Gregg Richter]
tradmark
Gun Slinger

I love alot of their new stuff.

#188803 - 01/18/18 07:58 PM Re: I apologize in advance [Re: tradmark]
racksmasher1
veteran

Loc: New York

The gun works for me,I snipe deer from a ladder stands, if you want to see ugly , look at my Frankenstein single shots

#188806 - 01/18/18 08:15 PM Re: I apologize in advance [Re: racksmasher1]
longhunter
enthusiast

Loc: Butler, Missouri

I'm sure they are quite functional and accurate, but I wouldn't want me friends to see me shooting it.

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors"

#188807 - 01/18/18 08:25 PM Re: I apologize in advance [Re: racksmasher1]
curioushooter
stranger

Loc: Indiana

That's one of the problems with the firearms industry in general. Firearms are very durable, and most people have them and never shoot them. So, for a long time, the marketing people have had to induce desire with ever increasingly strange things, with ever narrower appeal. That or realize that females make up half the adult population and start selling to them. I would be highly surprised if that monstrosity will be purchased by many females, while I know for a fact they are purchasing regular revolvers plenty.

Frankly I would appreciate it if S&W focused more on delivering quality out of the box without a dozen trips back to Massachusetts of classic designs for minimal cost than producing more monstrosities. I think they would make more money this way too.

For example, if they brought back a well made (as good as the P&Red era) Model 27 with 6" barrel for under $700,I would buy it. They've reintroduced a classics n-frame series with the model 22, 25, 27, and 29 over the last few years and they've sold well I think, despite their high price tags.

Edited by curioushooter (01/18/18 09:19 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#188915 - 01/22/18 10:35 AM Re: I apologize in advance [Re: curioushooter]
Chance Weldon Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Martin, Tennessee

As much as I love her, I agree she ain't the prettiest:

But she more than makes up for her looks with performance:

(That's a sub-MOA 5-shot group)

And then there's this:

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
3 registered (Seminole Wind, Whitworth, Gregg Richter) and 165 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
6.8 SPC Buck
6.8 SPC Buck

One Shot Buffalo
One Shot Buffalo

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.