Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188464 - 01/08/18 12:23 PM Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Steve in PA]
Gary Administrator
Distinguished Master

Loc: Austin, TX USA

There is not one answer that will fit every field situation. The key is to become proficient using a number of methods. I've even grabbed a handful of broom straw with my off-hand while holding the forearm. A little pull on the grass and the gun steadied right up. Be creative, flexible and do it enough that you learn what techniques work best for you.

#188466 - 01/08/18 02:56 PM Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Gary]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

AnthonyG, First of all, Welcome to HHM.

Secondly, you are getting some real good stuff here.

Another position that works well is using a Harris Bipod either from a support or lying prone on the ground. I devote a whole chapter to shooting positions in my handgun hunting video.

There's more than one way to skin a coyote.

The only man smarter than a wise old coyote is the one that gets him.

#188570 - 01/13/18 06:16 PM Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Gregg Richter]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

From a variety of field positions the Contender is easily capable to as far as the cartridge you are shooting, is capable. Packs, over a fallen tree, Bog Gear, bi-pod.
Always seek a solid front and back rest of some kind, if possible.
Practicing in the off season from field positions is very important as well.

#188577 - 01/13/18 07:55 PM Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Ernie]
curioushooter
stranger

Loc: Indiana

I've been messing around with a variety of holds. What I am finding is interesting. To begin with, there are just a whole lot more ways one can hold a pistol like a Contender compared to a rifle or a normal pistol sans forend.

The second matter is that eye relief with scopes becomes a major issue. To me, I am thinking that irons or a red-dot is the way to go. Use Binocs for glassing.

Finally, I read up on the Snipe pod. Seems very interesting because it is so lightweight, supportive, and adjustable. Pricey, though.

I was wondering what people though of the telescoping mono-pods vs. bipods with a contender. I've never used either.

Thanks for all the great guidance.

#188596 - 01/14/18 01:22 AM Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: curioushooter]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

Bipods are steadier as you only have to control them forward and backwards as they are steady side to side, but a tad harder to carry. With a monopod you have to control it in all "four" directions but are a bit easier to carry. Both can be substituted for a walking stick in a pinch if folded and held correctly.

There's more than one way to skin a coyote.

The only man smarter than a wise old coyote is the one that gets him.

#188598 - 01/14/18 07:58 AM Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Gregg Richter]
REDHAWK1954
veteran

Loc: Statesville NC

I have used bi tri and monopods and have found a good walking sick to work for me.

#188607 - 01/14/18 01:10 PM Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: REDHAWK1954]
Seminole Wind
journeyman

Loc: GEORGIA

For me, most field positions are easier to use since I put muzzlebrakes on my 309 JDJ Contenders. There is less muzzle flip to distract from a steady hold and smooth squeeze.

#188620 - 01/14/18 04:40 PM Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Seminole Wind]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

Originally Posted By: Seminole Wind
For me, most field positions are easier to use since I put muzzlebrakes on my 309 JDJ Contenders. There is less muzzle flip to distract from a steady hold and smooth squeeze.

A good brake lets you get into more odd positions and or lighter holds without fear of getting smacked.

#188621 - 01/14/18 04:47 PM Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: Ernie]
curioushooter
stranger

Loc: Indiana

I am not too worried about recoil or anything. I've found that my 14" Super 357 Herrett barrel is very mild shooting. I've been shooting 158 grainers over 21 grains of Win296 for about 1800 FPS over my Chrony.

Perhaps things will get ugly if I decide to put some maxed out 200 grainers downrange, but so far it has been nothing compared to my old Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Magnum which I sold because it kicked so brutally.

#188636 - 01/15/18 08:24 AM Re: Contender Pistol Shooting Fundamentals [Re: curioushooter]
OFFSHORE
journeyman

Originally Posted By: curioushooter
I've been messing around with a variety of holds. What I am finding is interesting. To begin with, there are just a whole lot more ways one can hold a pistol like a Contender compared to a rifle or a normal pistol sans forend.

The second matter is that eye relief with scopes becomes a major issue. To me, I am thinking that irons or a red-dot is the way to go. Use Binocs for glassing.

Finally, I read up on the Snipe pod. Seems very interesting because it is so lightweight, supportive, and adjustable. Pricey, though.

I was wondering what people though of the telescoping mono-pods vs. bipods with a contender. I've never used either.

Thanks for all the great guidance.

Practice Practice Practice! You are right about the many different ways you can hold/shoot the O`le T/C and there has been plenty of good advice shared to you. You just have to find what works best for you in your shooting situation. I agree with you on the eye relief and traditional scopes. . .it can be a pain in hunting situations, that is why I switched over to a reflex hologram type sight. I only hunt and plink with my handguns, so this works good for me and my style.

Edited by OFFSHORE (01/15/18 08:26 AM)

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
1 registered (hi50) and 78 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Second chance buck
Second chance buck

Tag Team Tag Out.
Tag Team Tag Out.

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.034 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.