Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188147 - 01/01/18 01:58 PM SMith VS Ruger
Handgun400
addict

Loc: Arkansas

Disclaimer: I'm a fan of both and own/owned both makes of revolvers.

I was perusing some of the groups on Facebook yesterday and came across a man who was no doubt trolling Ruger fans with his knowledge and favoritism of Smith & Wesson revolvers--even admitted his surprise to the "lack of butthurt from Ruger fans" on the thread. His argument, more specifically, that Smith frames were stronger than Ruger's bulky frames and Ruger's ability to handle hotter loads was only because of their stronger cylinders, in a nutshell.

I didn't (nor do I) engage trolling on Facebook and he was undoubtedly looking for an online battle. My guess is he's single and his Farmers Only subscription had lapsed.

His argument seems to be contradictory to what I read here and pretty much anywhere else. I quit paying attention when he posted the S&W add talking about Ruger's beefy frames and a picture of a Ruger frame as a piece of meat saying something to the effect that beefy is better on a steak but not on a revolver.

#188149 - 01/01/18 02:51 PM Re: SMith VS Ruger [Re: Handgun400]
KYODE
Gun Slinger

Loc: Northeast Ky.

Think i seen that and kinnda smiled at myself lol. I like rugers and have no desire for a smith. Personal preference. What others think have no affect on what i like. 😉

#188153 - 01/01/18 04:34 PM Re: SMith VS Ruger [Re: KYODE]
N-Frame
journeyman

As you can see from my username, I?m a big Smith & Wesson fan. However, if I feel the need to shoot any nuclear powered loads, they go in the Redhawk.

#188154 - 01/01/18 04:53 PM Re: SMith VS Ruger [Re: N-Frame]
Franchise
Shooting Master

Loc: Castalia, NC

If we're talking 44 mag, and the longer and hotter than saami spec loads, there are only a few guns that are capable. The Dan Wesson, the Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk, and the Taurus Raging Bull. This is due to the longer cylinder length. The beefy double action frames on these guns are remarkably strong.

#188164 - 01/01/18 08:59 PM Re: SMith VS Ruger [Re: N-Frame]
Handgun400
addict

Loc: Arkansas

Originally Posted By: N-Frame
As you can see from my username, I?m a big Smith & Wesson fan. However, if I feel the need to shoot any nuclear powered loads, they go in the Redhawk.

To this day I regret selling my Model 28.......

#188166 - 01/01/18 11:04 PM Re: SMith VS Ruger [Re: Handgun400]
billa
addict

Loc: Central PA

I own several of both brands as do many of those on this forum. Both companies make fine products and each have their place in our sport. I doubt that the poster on the other site has the shooting experience -data- or the technical expertise to make the claims he is making. In my opinion my Redhawk can survive a diet of max level 44 mag loads better than my 629 would.
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#188170 - 01/01/18 11:45 PM Re: SMith VS Ruger [Re: billa]
JDK

Loc: Texas Hill Country

An old pinned barrel model 29 and a Redhawk are two different animals. Both special in their own way. You can let that guy know that a SAA and a Blackhawk are also different guns!

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#188172 - 01/02/18 12:48 AM Re: SMith VS Ruger [Re: JDK]
sw282
enthusiast

Loc: CSRA of GA/SC

l will let my X-Frame 460 PC speak for itself. No Rugers need apply.

As for face book, l don't do ''f-b''... Never have, Never will.

#188174 - 01/02/18 07:47 AM Re: SMith VS Ruger [Re: sw282]
45MAN
addict

Loc: brownsville, texas

WHAT IS FACE BOOK? I KNOW MY WIFE IS ON IT ALL THE TIME, I DO NOT EVEN KNOW HOW TO FIND IT. CAN'T BE ANY REAL MAN STUFF ON FACEBOOK.

DA SMITHS AND RUGERS ARE DIFFERENT. FOR AESTHETICS I WILL TAKE A SMITH. FOR BEING READY TO GO OUT OF THE BOX YOU MAY HAVE A BETTER CHANCE WITH A SMITH. BUT FOR HEAVY USE, I WILL TAKE A RUGER.

#188178 - 01/02/18 09:12 AM Re: SMith VS Ruger [Re: 45MAN]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

There really is no comparison. N-frames were designed around the .44 Special at the turn of the century (not this last one, but the one before). I think Hamilton Bowen said it best when he stated (I paraphrase) that the Redhawk is the first double-action revolver built to scale for the .44 Magnum cartridge. The late Andy Canon used to build .454s on .44 Mag Redhawks, using the stock cylinder. Jack Huntington has built these too (see photo below), and I have never heard of a failure. Try that with an N-frame..... Even the behemoth X-frame features some of the weaknesses of the N-frame like the half-frame design.

I've heard just about every argument between the two camps like forging versus casting. Forgings tend to be stronger but the strength is directional -- not the case with a casting. Smith & Wessons are on the delicate side, but that's okay. I will still own them and hunt with them, I just don't make them do the heavy lifting. I don't know why anyone should get emotional.

We don't even need to get into the single-actions which are an even better platform for big and powerful cartridges given the advantage of not having the cylinder riding on a crane and instead being solidly mounted in the frame.

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
0 registered and 107 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
The Three P's Of H
The Three P's Of Handgun Hunting

Freedoms in The La
Freedoms in The Land of Lincoln

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.