Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188115 - 12/31/17 01:34 PM Re: Sixgunner Magazine [Re: Walkingthemup]
Gregg Richter Moderator
Shooting Master

Loc: Pine, Colorado

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Walkingthemup
I agree that digitizing all the old copies would be a great project and a wonderful resource, but we need to respect that copyright and IP rules come into play. Not sure who holds the rights: JD or the individual authors.

This is an excellent point, and for these reasons and others I doubt if the digitize project is feasible. I do know that I am not your Huckleberry on the whole shebang.

;\)

I personally have over 50 articles in the SIXGUNNER but most are hunts only and not much load data, whereas Doc's articles are some of the best info you will ever find on load data and bullet performance.

Doc, seriously, if you put all your SIXGUNNER articles in a book, it would be a killer, (no pun intended) one of the best for sure.

I have thought about, and been encouraged to, put my articles into a book and have not made a decision yet...I seem to get busier all the time!

I haven't even got much of a start yet on my promised elk hunting video...

There's more than one way to skin a coyote.

The only man smarter than a wise old coyote is the one that gets him.

#188116 - 12/31/17 01:57 PM Re: Sixgunner Magazine [Re: Mark Hampton]
Gregg Richter Moderator
Shooting Master

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Mark Hampton
I too have all copies ever published. Member #227

I too joined in 1978 but the number JD gave me is 2727. Must have been a huge run to join that year.

#188118 - 12/31/17 02:02 PM Re: Sixgunner Magazine [Re: billa]
Gregg Richter Moderator
Shooting Master

content Online
 Originally Posted By: billa
..[b][/b]..........The Sixgunner articles showed me that it was possible to take any animal on the planet with a handgun. ......

At the time the popular saying was that if you owned a Contender in 6.5 JDJ and one in .375 JDJ, you could hunt any game animal in the world (and legally, at least caliber-wise, I might add). Oh, and throw in a Contender .22 for the rest: plinking, practice and just plain fun!

That is exactly what I did, and still have.

\:\)

#188121 - 12/31/17 06:49 PM Re: Sixgunner Magazine [Re: Gregg Richter]
wvhitman
addict

Loc: WV

You read my mind ,Greg. I really want to write a book and include much of the data/stories in the Sixgunner. You've seen in the past and here I have diarrhea of the mouth. I'm not afraid to write about many things I know about. My #1 problem is that I'm severely computer challenged. All the years you guys were learning I was delivering babies, taking care of heart attacks, working ER in our country community, plus seeing 35 to 94(my record) patients a day.
The photo part is what scares me the most. I have massive amounts of slides, photos, and digital prints. Where do I start.
After my close death after brain surgery last year, I'm enjoying one solid year of retirement with only hunting. I just finished and it was the worse hunting year in the last 42 years. Maybe I need to use my pen instead of guns for a while!

#188122 - 12/31/17 06:51 PM Re: Sixgunner Magazine [Re: Gregg Richter]
billa
addict

Loc: Central PA

content Online
For all you younger ones, Gregg Richter is one of those pioneers that you read about from the early days. I have read most of those 50 articles and believe me this guy is the real deal as a handgunner!
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#188123 - 12/31/17 07:52 PM Re: Sixgunner Magazine [Re: wvhitman]
rougerocco
journeyman

Loc: Michigan

Doc, maybe have someone co-author or organize it and you just plug in the stories.
I chuckled, I have always said to my friends." While you guys were going to college I was busy learning"
25+ yrs in Fire/Rescue services delivering Pt. to you and others to fix up!

#188124 - 12/31/17 08:31 PM Re: Sixgunner Magazine [Re: rougerocco]
KYODE
Gun Slinger

Loc: Northeast Ky.

Hitman......write a book please!

#188125 - 12/31/17 08:34 PM Re: Sixgunner Magazine [Re: rougerocco]
spinsail

Loc: SC

content Online
Well, I am going to be presumptuous and make one more suggestion.

I am old enough and varied enough in my hobbies that I have seen other sports in the beginning of their growth. In the beginning you can talk to and meet the men who become pioneers in the field. (Try that with NFL or MLB greats)

Later, they become legends. That happens not only by virtue of their knowledge, skill and contribution, but also because someone documents their history. Even the legends of the Old West were documented by novelists of the day.

I know there were earlier innovators like Keith, Skeeter, JD and Kelly, but some on this forum are the second generation. I am just a rookie at this game but it seems to me that you men are also pioneers and the record should not be lost.

#188127 - 12/31/17 11:14 PM Re: Sixgunner Magazine [Re: spinsail]
billa
addict

Loc: Central PA

content Online
I would love to see The wvhitman - aka Dr. Larry Rogers write a book. He has bagged more game with handguns than anyone ever - and documented it all. He is the true - been there done that handgun hunter!!!
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#188135 - 01/01/18 09:06 AM Re: Sixgunner Magazine [Re: spinsail]
ratgunner
addict

Loc: Pennsylvania

That?s a shame to lose all that good information. I?d love to have all the copies.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
10 registered (NRA_Dave, Gregg Richter, cessna, Zee, s4s4u, Mark Hampton) and 70 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
Gregg Richter
johnwilliams
Franchise
  Member Hunts
Cape buff with 500
Cape buff with 500 Wyoming

K-Hornet is Old an
K-Hornet is Old and Improved

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.