Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187609 - 12/17/17 06:18 PM Re: The Buck of a Lifetime [Re: JDK]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

content Online
JDK,

Good job all the way around; Congratulations on a great buck with the single shot pistol!

JDK, Your circumstances and story deserve to be re-submitted for the Member Articles section.

Member Articles

A lot of members possibly do not recognize the advantage of submitting a story that way (Members Articles) versus just putting it here in this Forum. It is of course easier to put it here, and you more or less get "instant gratification" this way, but the fact is that it will be here for all to see and read for only a few days; as more and more new postings are made and members quit commenting on your story, it goes further and further back into the Archives, literally daily.

However, if it is also submitted and published in the Members Articles section, under Handgun Hunting, it will forever be "just two clicks away." It will remain as one of the permanent stories in that section; along with (in actuality) only a very few other Handgun Hunting Stories in comparison to the number of these postings that just get further and further buried.

So you have successfully completed the first step, posting it here. Now how about going here:

Enter Your Story and Photos

and submit your story for Gary's approval!

Gregg

#187614 - 12/17/17 08:52 PM Re: The Buck of a Lifetime [Re: Gregg Richter]
JDK
enthusiast

Loc: Texas Hill Country

content Online
Thanks Gregg. That's a good idea. I enjoy the member articles. When I started, my post was going to be pretty short, but it ended up being a novel!

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#187802 - 12/22/17 09:46 AM Re: The Buck of a Lifetime [Re: MrMcPorkchop]
SChunter
Shooting Expert

Loc: Coastal SC

JDK - W O W

A giant handgun deer on your own property...fantastic!!! Congratulations

#187888 - 12/23/17 08:24 PM Re: The Buck of a Lifetime [Re: Russell]
HHI6818

Loc: Uniontown,Ohio

Congratulations on a awesome buck. Enjoyed the story

#187900 - 12/24/17 10:40 AM Re: The Buck of a Lifetime [Re: JDK]
Zee
Gun Slinger

content Online
Amazing buck!

#197000 - 01/08/19 01:05 PM Re: The Buck of a Lifetime [Re: MrMcPorkchop]
sixshot
addict

content Online
Congratulations on a great deer hunt that you got to share! That's some fine country there, I spent one winter living in Bandera & saw lots of game along the road, especially around Medina. We even spotted 2 Kangaroos!

Dick

#197009 - 01/08/19 07:38 PM Re: The Buck of a Lifetime [Re: JDK]
JDK
enthusiast

Loc: Texas Hill Country

content Online
Be warned, there is rifle content to follow

In the original post, I explained how my son wanted me to take the buck last year, even though he was locked and loaded when the buck stepped out. Well, this year was all his. He started by taking an Axis doe early on while we were watching for some nice bucks we'd seen on the game cam. We had decided on a nice 8 point which wasn't too wide, but had high and nicely symmetrical antlers, though it still seemed relatively young. He surprised us one evening, approaching from the side of our ground blind, coming to within 30 yards and trotting off into the sunset.

Fast forward to the final weekend of the general season. We hunted Saturday evening and retrieved the SD card from the camera to see if the high 8 had been around. He had, but we saw a new buck. He was large bodied and had a wide rack. In all, it looked like we would have at least three nice bucks to choose from...IF one decided to show up.

The next morning was 31 degrees and crystal clear. My son and I were in the stand well before sunrise. After an hour or so, a mama doe and her twin yearlings came to feed. They always come and it's very annoying because mama is very skittish. She snorts and stomps at anything. After a long while, she got wind of us and they ran off. After that we saw nothing. We were cold and tired. I told my son we'd leave at 9 o'clock if nothing happened.

About 8:40 I was nodding off in my chair when my son told me a doe was crossing the field. I grabbed the binos and watched as she went right past the feeder. He then said there was a buck following her. I pulled the binos back up and saw that it was a big one. I gave him the green light...except the buck wasn't stopping. We both started whistling like crazy and he finally stopped. My son fired and the buck dropped straight down on his belly.

He was using an old converted 1895 Mauser in 257 Roberts. This rifle requires standard pressure ammo, so it's probably running about like what some of you are getting from your handguns. the load consisted of a Speer 120 gr. HotCor, a standard cup and core bullet. It's only running at around 2550 FPS. He hit it high in the shoulder. It had a entry wound, which shows massive destruction inside the body cavity, but no exit. My son has killed a number of deer with this load and it's deadly effective.

We didn't get a weight, but the buck was challenging to get into the truck after being dressed. The antler bases are really thick, but many of the tines are broken, including both brow tines. The spread is impressive at 24". Anyway, I wanted to update the thread with an "all's well that ends well' post! he wanted me to get mine and now he has his. Thanks for looking. (for size reference, my son is 6' tall)

[img]Untitled by jdk112, on Flickr[/img]

But for the grace of God, there, I go.

#197010 - 01/08/19 07:51 PM Re: The Buck of a Lifetime [Re: JDK]
Franchise
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

Damn Nice Buck!!!! Outstanding

#197012 - 01/08/19 08:15 PM Re: The Buck of a Lifetime [Re: MrMcPorkchop]
RSW
stranger

Loc: KY

That's a beautiful buck!

#197048 - 01/10/19 03:12 PM Re: The Buck of a Lifetime [Re: RSW]
junebug
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bardstown ,Ky

-Nice buck and a fine way to put a cap on the season!Memories with family and friends can't be beat or replaced.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
8 registered (Whitworth, REDHAWK1954, karl, Randy M, magman, Gregg Richter) and 45 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Blown Away
Blown Away

SHOT Show 2008
SHOT Show 2008

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.