Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186812 - 11/24/17 11:44 AM Contender Tear Down
Bob Roach
old hand

Loc: Missouri Ozarks

I have had Contenders for years. I had a friend do the trigger work on both waaaay back when. I had never disassembled one. They always worked, just wipe it off and put it back in the safe. A couple weeks ago I put the 22 LR barrel on the wife's Contender and had her shoot a few rounds at the range. I had it snap a couple times. I think probably old ammo that I have had stashed forever. Fast Forward to my last range trip when it was pretty cold out. I had the MGM 13" 357 Maximum barrel installed, and I was going to do some work with reduced loads with the 140 FTX and 158 XTP bullets.
I get the chronograph all set up and get everything all ready to go and SNAP. I try this a few more times with about 3 different shells. I get no dent to a lite dent on the primers.
When I get back home I fire up the computer and see what causes a Contender to not fire. I found no information that I found useful dealing with a Frame/Barrel combination that had been working previously. I did talk with a fellow at the gun shop who was hauling his Encore on a front gun rack on a 4 wheeler and had grass seed get in the action and cause it to not fire. OK, It has never been taken apart and cleaned. My best guess is it probably needs a good cleaning, or possibly a broken spring. Now I do a search on taking a Contender apart, and putting it back together. PITIFUL, Exploded diagrams were no help after blowing them up 400% so I could at least see the parts to some degree. Too small to be of any use. One video skipped showing how the parts went back in. Basically knock out the pins and it comes apart. Not much help.
I figure that I can handle this. No mention of slave pins or any other trick tools required. I start taking it apart starting from the bottom. After taking the second pin out for the Sear I turn it over and have parts fall out. The Safety w/Spring and the Sear Plunger w/Spring fell out. I found the parts, but had no idea exactly where they went. I then took out the Hammer Pin.
It was dirty! Armed with a can of Break Free Powder Blast, Q-Tips, Tooth Brush, Pipe Cleaners, and Paper Shop Towels I went to work on it. When I was satisfied it was clean I applied Dupont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant to all moving parts,and contact surfaces, and let it dry.
Now for the fun part, putting it back together. I found a You-Tube video on installing a complete set of Springs that was about 45 minutes long. It was at least of some help getting it back together. I ended up watching the Sear Installation part about 3 times to figure out how it went back together. The Hammer Spring was another one that needed watched a couple times. The real head ache was getting the Trigger Guard Pin back in. One person does not have enough hands to get the tight fitting pin installed while maintaining perfect parts alignment.

I did not find any debris in the action. I suspect the issue was oil and crud build-up over the years that got stiff when it was cold and probably did not let the Safety operate fast enough to let it fire.

Someone with some You Tube Skills needs to put together a G1 Contender Video showing how to take one apart, and more importantly how it goes back together. Some explanation of what the parts do would be good also.

Bob

#186821 - 11/24/17 04:54 PM Re: Contender Tear Down [Re: Bob Roach]
REDHAWK1954
veteran

Loc: Statesville NC

Please let us know how your next trip to the range works out.

#186824 - 11/24/17 08:14 PM Re: Contender Tear Down [Re: REDHAWK1954]
spinsail

Loc: SC

Glad you reported this. I now know not to even attempt this by myself.

#186834 - 11/25/17 08:10 AM Re: Contender Tear Down [Re: spinsail]
500WE
Pooh-Bah

Loc: North Carolina

Put a new 2 piece bolt (commonly and mistakenly called locking lugs) in the .22 barrel, then try it again. Bolts are available from SSK.

#186837 - 11/25/17 11:10 AM Re: Contender Tear Down [Re: 500WE]
Bob Roach
old hand

We have 2 of the Super 14 barrels in 22 LR that we purchased originally with the pistols. Years ago we were shooting Rimfire Metallic Silhouettes. Both of the 22 barrels have been shot a lot over the years. They have always worked fine. A locking bolt upgrade would not hurt them, but I am pretty sure that was not the problem.

I put a primed case in the 357 Maximum barrel, and it fired off just fine. I was pretty impressed with the Bang and Flash produced by the Remington #7-1/2 primer. I am pretty sure that it will run now. If not I suspect that Mike Bellum will be getting an order for a complete Spring Set. It looks like springs breaking or just getting weak is a common problem with an old Contender when you do have a problem with one.

Spinsail after taking mine apart, and getting it back together I can now do it again without nearly as many problems. The Safety is a square flat part that runs up and down in a track. The spring on it goes down and to the front when assembling the action from the bottom. (When the action is right side up, the spring is on the up side of the safety) The Plunger w/Spring that fell out just drops back in a round pocket "using tweezers" that is fairly easy to spot. The main thing is now that I know they can just fall out when you turn the action right side up. Make sure to either lift them out "BEST" or dump them in a box so you do not lose track of them. I should have lifted the Sear out and made a note on exactly how it was oriented in the action. That would have saved some time. If you go to Mike Bellum's web site he will advise you to work on it yourself if possible. Your handy dandy gunsmith probably will have never had one apart either. From what I got reading on the Bellum web site he advises to send it in to a "Contender Friendly" gunsmith as a last resort.

I do need a range trip to make sure it is fixed. I may just do that today while the wife is still gone to a horse camp in Arkansas.

I just swapped my Glock 27 Gen 4 for a more shootable Glock 23 Gen 4. After installing TFO Night Sights ( TFO Front and Serrated Black Steel Back), a Ghost Edge 3.5# Connector, Wolff 6# Trigger Spring, a Lightning Strike SS Firing Pin Safety Plunger and Spring, Extended Slide Lock, and a Glock Factory Extended Slide Stop Lever. I need to make sure it is running 100% before my Defensive Pistol match next weekend. I lucked out on my Custom Made Glock 27 leather IWB holster. The maker used his G19/G23 pattern, so it was no issue to push the extra barrel down a little further. Much better than ordering another $80 holster. I am 100% sure it will work better than new. I mainly need to check the sights.

I believe I will feed the horses, and head to the range.

Bob

#186841 - 11/25/17 04:42 PM Re: Contender Tear Down [Re: Bob Roach]
Bob Roach
old hand

I ran 20 rounds through the Contender without a hitch. It felt better than normal. I have an extra power locking bolt spring on the MGM 357 Maximum barrel. It normally opens hard. It seemed to me that it was opening much easier than normal today.

My reduced power 158 XTP load.
Case: Starline 360 Dan Wesson
Powder: AA#9
Charge Weight: 17.0 grains
Primers: Remington 7-1/2 BR
Average Velocity 3 Rounds: 1766 fps
Standard Deviation: 0 fps

My reduced power 140 FTX Load.
Case: Starline 360 Dan Wesson
Powder: AA#9
Charge Weight: 17.0 grains
Primers: Remington 7-1/2 BR
Average Velocity 3 Rounds: 1880
Standard Deviation: 13 fps

I believe I will dial the loads back a hair more for the wife. I may also try my .358 NOE 360-180 cast bullets throttled back.

I may need to tear down my other Contender while the process is fresh on my mind and give it a good cleaning as well. I may take a few pictures this time.

Bob

#186904 - 11/27/17 09:28 PM Re: Contender Tear Down [Re: Bob Roach]
PsTaN
enthusiast

Loc: Alabama

My experience with the Encore was much the same ... one would think a single action would be simple!

-Gen3 Glock 20
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"

#186912 - 11/28/17 09:10 AM Re: Contender Tear Down [Re: PsTaN]
karl
addict

Loc: Minnesota

content Online
There use to be a site/page with instructions. I believe it was on Bellm's old site that crashed. The one bit I remember was watch out for one of the springs that like to go flying. It would be nice to have a good write up or video.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
16 registered (Mech 8, s4s4u, Dino, tradmark, karl, Muddy) and 71 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
Sweet first sucess
Sweet first sucess

My "Dream" Bear Hu
My

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.