Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186936 - 11/29/17 06:53 PM Re: Red dots on revolvers [Re: Bearbait in NM]
Walkingthemup
enthusiast

Loc: this side of the black stump

I've used both the JPoint and the Burris Fastfire mounted on a Ruger SRH. The JPoint mount requires the rear sight to be removed. The Burris mount attaches to the standard Ruger scope mount cut-outs. It allows the rear sight to be retained (although not usable whilst the mount is in place)
The Jpoint

The Fastfire (photo from the web)

Whilst the Jpoint sits a tad lower than the Fastfire, both are still high compared to iron sights. As previously pointed out this can significantly slow sight acquisition. With a reflex type sight, if your alignment is a little bit off, you can't see the dot and can't auto-correct like you can with iron sights. If you do a lot of shooting with a reflex sighted revolver you may build up the "muscle memory" to be automatically aligned each time you point at your target. I can do it with my auto, but not my revolver. The slow acquisition cost me 2 close range opportunities in Africa. However the long range capability paid off with hits at 90M and 140M.

Auto-on vs Switch. The JPoint turns on as soon as its exposed to light. The dot intensity automatically adjusts to the ambiant light. The Fastfire uses a switch to activate and to adjust dot intensity. This is a personal preference, but I prefer the JPoint system as its one less thing to go wrong. I have lined up on game only to find the Fastfire not switched on. Admittedly 'user error' but something that ruins the moment.

Glass vs Plastic lens. The Jpoint has a plastic lens and yes it doesn't have the optical clarity of glass. Likewise, on my auto, its got small chips and marks from ejected cases. It's something I've only noticed when cleaning, never whilst sighting. For other people optical clarity is a much bigger deal. You have to work out what's important for you and your eyes. One reason for plastic lens is weight. They are much lighter than glass. Where this is important is the forces applied to the mount screws and sight structure under significant recoil.

Battery location. Some sights have battery drawers, some like the Fastfire have the battery inserted from the top with a threaded cover and some like the JPoint require the sight body to be removed from the base in order to change batteries. While the JPoint system is basic, it also is the simplest and most secure. The 4 location studs will align the body and base and minimize any need to re-sight in. With the Fastfire system it is very easy to cross thread the battery cover or to have it not properly screwed down. Having the cover and battery fly off after the first shot is a bugger. I haven't used any of the drawer systems and so can't comment.

#186963 - 11/30/17 08:28 PM Re: Red dots on revolvers [Re: Walkingthemup]
.41magfan
journeyman

Loc: NC

Aimpoint Micro on S&W Mod 657 tricked out with Mag-na-Port's "Stalker" modifications.

#186973 - 11/30/17 10:55 PM Re: Red dots on revolvers [Re: Bearbait in NM]
Seminole Wind

Craig, great review of red dot sights. Very comprehensive and matches my personal experience. I killed a deer with an Aimpoint red dot mounted on a Dan Wesson 44 mag in 1983, and red dot technology has come a long way since then. Ultradot tube sights and Leupold DPP reflex sights are state of the art. Can't wait to see what comes next.

#187010 - 12/02/17 01:23 PM Re: Red dots on revolvers [Re: Seminole Wind]
Bearbait in NM
old hand

Loc: New Mexico

SW,

I do not go that far back, but long enough to have seen a lot of changes. I think the trend now to put these things on semi-autos will usher a lot of nice upgrades. Slide mounted optics have to be built so much more rugged than revolver or even long gun mounted.

Traditional scopes suitable for handgun hunting sure have stalled out the last couple of decades, but these red dots are evolving nicely.

Craig

#187011 - 12/02/17 01:52 PM Re: Red dots on revolvers [Re: Bearbait in NM]
Teep
journeyman

Loc: MO

I sure hope the trend is to smaller dots and lower light levels so they can be used for night hunting. Might get costly trying to keep up with the changes though.

#187023 - 12/02/17 05:51 PM Re: Red dots on revolvers [Re: Teep]
s4s4u
Shootist

Loc: Northern MN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Teep
I sure hope the trend is to smaller dots and lower light levels so they can be used for night hunting. Might get costly trying to keep up with the changes though.

I have a 1" UltraDot with a 4 min dot that will turn down in intensity to the point that I can hunt by moonlight. No bloom in the tube at all.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

#187027 - 12/02/17 09:03 PM Re: Red dots on revolvers [Re: wvhitman]
Buttermilk
enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma!

content Online
http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9000

#187028 - 12/02/17 09:16 PM Re: Red dots on revolvers [Re: wvhitman]
racksmasher1
old hand

Loc: New York

Originally Posted By: wvhitman
UltraDots on my .475 Linebaugh and .500 S&W have sood lots of abuse/use without problems.
x2, I prefer them in the woods

#187034 - 12/02/17 10:33 PM Re: Red dots on revolvers [Re: wvhitman]
ruger4570

Loc: Illinois

I have tube style red dots on my revolvers and one Encore barrel, mostly UltraDot's. I have one reflex style and it's on my 10/22 Take Down.

What does RMR stand for??

#187036 - 12/02/17 10:41 PM Re: Red dots on revolvers [Re: ruger4570]
Bearbait in NM
old hand

Loc: New Mexico

Ruggedized Minature reflex sight. And they are most certainly rugged. I added a couple of the new Type 2, or version 2 to my pile, both with the 1 moa dot (Model 09). With the good brightness button, you can go low enough for extremely low light, or crank it up to flare the dot for midday sun.

Craig

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
4 registered (karl, Din, Muddy, tradmark) and 78 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
The Land of Endles
The Land of Endless Stars

454 Eland
454 Eland

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.