Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186342 - 11/14/17 04:24 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: 45MAN]
ruger4570

Loc: Illinois

I hunt on private land. About a 35 acre timber that is about 270 degrees surrounded by corn and beans. I have carte blanc to make trails, cut trees, etc. Took this guy last Thursday with my crossbow.

#186345 - 11/14/17 04:52 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: BKS]
Handgun400
addict

Loc: Arkansas

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BKS
1st Im so glad I found this forum. Thanks for letting me roam around here.
I am considering leaving the deer lease my late Brother was iin for so long. Its nice to have somewhere you know you can go get in a stand a see deer most of the time.
Im wondering how the rest of this forum does it, Do you own your own land? Belong to a hunting lease? Hunt public land? Hunt with an outfitter once a year? I have access to public land here in Arkansas bjt most of it is a permit draw for deer hunting w a firearm.

BKS,
I primarily hunt southern Grant County in the Saline River bottoms. Our club owns 7,000 acres. Last two years we noticed a decrease in total deer numbers, which translates into lower buck numbers. I've hunted Grant County all of my life and the deer numbers trend like all other wildlife. In 2000 we had the lowest numbers seen but they rebounded and haven't been as low since.

Prior to getting in my club, I hunted International Paper leased land, another 40 acre tract that we own as well as public land. My biggest buck came from Bayou Meto on a permit hunt. I'd suggest shopping around for a good lease (they DO exist) or hunt the national forest which could be closer to you. If I can help in any way shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

#186346 - 11/14/17 05:09 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: Handgun400]
cfish2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Eastern NC

I hunted on leased land in NC and a close friends family farm for the past 28 years. Several years ago I bought a small farm in a perfect location 33 acres. Just spent the last few years getting food plots established and figuring out what works. I've also been fortunate to go on a few hunts with some of the guys on this forum. Been hunting with handguns for over 30 years and still learn new things from the guys on this forum. Not a better bunch around.
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member

#186348 - 11/14/17 06:55 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: cfish2]
PsTaN
enthusiast

Loc: Alabama

I hunt roughly 300 acres of family land that is close to home, but remote. I spend most weekends of season there at the camp. Once or twice a year I'll hunt with a couple of friends at their property.

Timber companies do offer some lands for permit hunting, but that's not my thing. There are also a few privately owned fenced areas around here as well.

Edited by PsTaN (11/14/17 07:00 PM)

-Gen3 Glock 20
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"

#186355 - 11/14/17 09:23 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: PsTaN]
racksmasher1
old hand

Loc: New York

content Online
I am fortunate to hunt out my back door, I also own a small farm 1 hour from my home, actually helped my Nephew track and recover a little buck tonight, I try and do 1 guided whitetail hunt a year, and 2 boar hunts, when I go to Pennsylvania for deer, it"s on state forest land.

#186361 - 11/15/17 06:09 AM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: racksmasher1]
Randy M

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

I lease 1000ish acres in the Texas Hill Country with a few friends. It's year round and is set up nice (nice is relative). My goal in life is to own about 100 acres where the hill country and south Texas meet. Good land in Texas is ridiculously expensive.

#186382 - 11/15/17 10:10 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: Randy M]
HoggHunter
addict

Loc: New York(southern tier)

I own forty acres, but hunt public land a bit too, it somehow doesn't feel right to shoot deer in my backyard from the hot tub, but......... the deer here have become so tame I can't keep them out of the garden, this year they again chewed down the tomatoe plants and the squash plants, and in the winter they come right up onto the back deck if I don't refill the bird feeders every morning. god thing I refrained from giving them names.

#186388 - 11/16/17 03:41 AM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: HoggHunter]
Bob Roach
addict

Loc: Missouri Ozarks

I own a 40 acre tract, and we have another 35 acres that we use for pasture for keeping the fences repaired and the fields cleaned up. We border a huge tract of timber land owned by a Flooring Company. It is now leased to a Hunting Club, but I can still hunt my old stand location behind the house on the lease. I do trail maintenance, oversee road repairs, etc. on the lease.

The place that people want to Bug Out to when the world ends. I already live their. The down side to living here is pitiful wages.

Bob

#186394 - 11/16/17 09:41 AM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: HoggHunter]
45MAN
enthusiast

Loc: brownsville, texas

content Online
 Originally Posted By: HoggHunter
the deer here have become so tame I can't keep them out of the garden,

YEP, THEY CAN GET TAME, AND YOU CAN GET ATTACHED TO THEM. WHEN I AM AT THE RANCH I PUT CAT FOOD OUT ABOUT 20 YARDS FROM THE FRONT PORCH FOR THE FOXES, AND THEY, RACCONS AND POSSUMS COME IN AND PAY NO ATTENTION TO US ON THE FRONT PORCH. I ALSO POUR A 50 lb BAG OF MILO ABOUT 11 YARDS FROM THE FRONT PORCH AND DOES AND YOUNG BUCKS COME UP AND EAT AND, AS LONG AS WE ARE QUIET AND DO NOT MOVE AROUND, PAY US NO ATTENTION. I HAVE A HIGH PROTEIN DEER PELLETS FREE CHOICE FEEDER 50 YARDS FROM THE FRONT PORCH AND DEER GO THERE ALL THE TIME. ONE 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 OLD BUCK, DURING SOMETIMES IN THE YEAR, ALMOST LIVES AT THAT FEEDER, I CALL HIM THE CAMP BUCK. HE IS A CULL BUCK IF THERE EVER WAS ONE BUT I HAVE HIM ON MY "NO KILL" LIST. I HAVE PLENTY OF LAND TO HUNT ON SO I FIGURE I CAN HAVE A SAFE AREA FOR GAME VIEWING. WHEN I WAS GROWING UP WT WERE ALMOST MYTHICAL CREATURES SO I GET A BIG KICK OUT OF SEEING THEM UP CLOSE. THE HOGS, AOUDAD AND WILD SHEEP WILL NOT GET CLOSE TO CAMP WITH PEOPLE AROUND, THEY DO NOT "TAME UP" LIKE THE WT.

#186400 - 11/16/17 02:01 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: 45MAN]
wyote
addict

Loc: NW Wyoming

content Online
The majority of my hunting is on public land.

I do hunt some hunter management land that is managed by the game and fish. Most of it is private

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
10 registered (GrizzlyClaus, racksmasher1, KevinG, BRASF0311, 45MAN, Whitworth) and 64 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
Zeiss Z-Point Red-
Zeiss Z-Point Red-Dot & Edge Custom Mounts

SHOT Show 2008
SHOT Show 2008

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.039 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.