Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186328 - 11/14/17 10:51 AM Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or
BKS
journeyman

Loc: North East Arkansas

content Online
1st Im so glad I found this forum. Thanks for letting me roam around here.
I am considering leaving the deer lease my late Brother was iin for so long. Its nice to have somewhere you know you can go get in a stand a see deer most of the time.
Im wondering how the rest of this forum does it, Do you own your own land? Belong to a hunting lease? Hunt public land? Hunt with an outfitter once a year? I have access to public land here in Arkansas bjt most of it is a permit draw for deer hunting w a firearm.

#186330 - 11/14/17 11:22 AM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: BKS]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

BKS, Your saying the same thing that I said when I also found this site....I learned everything on my own about hunting with a handgun...this site is the ONLY true site dedicated to handgun hunting.....Gary was nice enough to make me a moderator and my life was complete
;\)
as for the lease... if you are enjoying it why leave? Whatever your decision.... I`am also glad you found this forum.....
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#186331 - 11/14/17 11:26 AM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

I have lived in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, and Wyoming and have never had a lease to date. Getting permission to hunt on private land and public land is where I have done my hunting.

#186333 - 11/14/17 11:41 AM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: BKS]
KRal
Distinguished Master

Loc: MS

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BKS
1st Im so glad I found this forum. Thanks for letting me roam around here.
I am considering leaving the deer lease my late Brother was iin for so long. Its nice to have somewhere you know you can go get in a stand a see deer most of the time.
Im wondering how the rest of this forum does it, Do you own your own land? Belong to a hunting lease? Hunt public land? Hunt with an outfitter once a year? I have access to public land here in Arkansas bjt most of it is a permit draw for deer hunting w a firearm.

I do all the above... I own a small piece of land (22 acres), I lease approximately 300 acres, I hunt lots of public land, and if I can, I like to go on a paid hunt at least once a year - whether it's in a pen on not (though I've never paid to hunt whitetails). But, the predominate method for me is public land.

Edited by KRal (11/14/17 11:42 AM)

#186334 - 11/14/17 11:57 AM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: KRal]
BKS
journeyman

Loc: North East Arkansas

content Online
The lease Im thinking of leaving is 3+ hours from my house, all primitive, no campfires allowed, and is partially paper company land. Never can tell when they are gonna start cutting timber. My brother, who passed in April was in the lease for 30 years and Im almost sure he stayed in it the last 5-10 years so my kids would have a place to go shoot a deer. Most of the time seeing a deer to shoot is not that difficult. The bag limit there is 6 deer a year. I am not a trophy hunter but even the guys that have been there the longest (best spots) arent seeing the bucks. An average doe there weighs about 80-90 lbs.
I spend enough to go down there and hunt 3-4 times a year that I could go to one of the hunting preserves and hunt something each year.

#186336 - 11/14/17 01:25 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: BKS]
Yetiman
stranger

Loc: SE Wi

I hunt on land my GF and her brother own, and on a large farm that A friend I grew up with has (which has been in his family for generations).

I am extremely fortunate to be allowed there, and go several weekends a year to help with projects and maintenance to try to pay him back.

#186338 - 11/14/17 01:56 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: Yetiman]
Franchise
Shooting Expert

Loc: Castalia, NC

content Online
I hunt WT's on family land (wife's) now. I grew up on a dairy farm owned by my Grandfather and hunted there until my late twenties

#186339 - 11/14/17 02:34 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: Franchise]
REDHAWK1954
veteran

Loc: Statesville NC

content Online
My son and I are in a hunting club together. We also hunt several pieces of property that friends let us hunt free. My son also lives on his wife's family farm and hunts it also.

#186340 - 11/14/17 03:17 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: REDHAWK1954]
karl
addict

Loc: Minnesota

content Online
I hunt private land. Farm where I was raised, friend's land and now a 40 acre honey pot that that we bought from my wife's family.

#186341 - 11/14/17 04:20 PM Re: Whitetail Deer Hunting, Own, Lease, Public, Or [Re: karl]
45MAN
enthusiast

Loc: brownsville, texas

content Online
IN TEXAS YOU EITHER LEASE OR OWN, OR ARE VERY LUCKY TO GET AN INVITE. PUBLIC LAND HUNTING FOR DEER IS ALMOST NON-EXISTENT, ESPECIALLY FOR HANDGUN HUNTING. EARLIER IN LIFE I WAS ABLE TO PIGGYBACK ON MY DAD ON SOME GOOD INVITES, THEN FOR AROUND 40 YEARS I HAD A PRETTY GOOD SOUTH TEXAS LEASE. SINCE 2003 I HAVE OWNED 1,284 ACRES IN EDWARDS COUNTY, TEXAS BUT I HAVE ONLY KILLED 2 WT THERE (USUALLY LEAVING THE DEER KILLING TO MY SONS) BUT AM HUNTING WT THERE THIS SEASON. A VERY GOOD FRIEND LET ME SHOOT A MANAGEMENT BUCK ON HIS SOUTH TEXAS LEASE LAST YEAR AND HAS OFFERRED ME A BUCK AGAIN THIS YEAR. I HAVE PAID FOR A LOT OF NON-LEASE HUNTS OVER THE YEARS BUT ONLY ONCE FOR A WT. I AM NOT AS MAD AT THE WT's AS I USE TO BE AND, TRUTH BE KNOWN, I COULD SURVIVE ON DOE'S AND CULL BUCKS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE AND BE PERFECTLY HAPPY.

Edited by 45MAN (11/14/17 04:50 PM)

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
10 registered (GrizzlyClaus, racksmasher1, KevinG, BRASF0311, 45MAN, Whitworth) and 64 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
First Handgun Deer
First Handgun Deer

Which Way to Carne
Which Way to Carnegie Hall?

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.