Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186322 - 11/14/17 09:44 AM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: hfischer]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

content Online
 Originally Posted By: hfischer
Never shot a hog. First whitetail I shot with 44 we tracked 400-600 yards. My cousin got out a ziplock bag cause he wanted the heart. We couldn?t find it. Only small pieces of what was left. Was shocked animal could go that with heart blown apart. Only shoot double lung now and all have been recovered within 50 yards.

I've been moving in the other direction. I have found that a heart shot animal is closer to death than a lung shot animal. Sometimes only one lung is clipped and you may never find the animal. The heart, on the other hand......

I've been away for the last few days so I haven't weighed in on this discussion, but here it goes.

I'm not a "hater" as that denotes some sort of emotional attachment to an inanimate object. I am however someone who evolves when he sees patterns developing from the use of certain equipment (bullets, guns, optics, etc.). I have used XTPs to some success, but have always had my concerns as they did not perform as advertised. For example, and expanding bullet that doesn't expand. When they don't expand they do a poor impersonation of a non-expanding flat-nosed solid. That's just a fact.

I personally think the OP used the wrong bullet on a Texas heart shot. It's just the wrong tool for the task at hand, favoring a bullet that provides uncompromising penetration. That said, as Zee pointed out, until the animal is recovered and dissected, all of this discussion is speculation. That said, I have experienced first hand poor results from the bullets in question, which is not up for speculation. I have no qualms against the shot the OP chose as I have used it successfully in the past, but I typically load for maximum penetration.

Below are a few examples of the bullets that have failed that I have witnessed.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

#186329 - 11/14/17 11:04 AM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: Whitworth]
SacredCrows
stranger

Facts to consider.......

All animals react differently when hit.... one or two or whatever accounts of something not going the way you like with a bullets is still more than likely left in the guessing realm and not necessarily the fact side.

A bullet in the vitals will kill the animal. Shot placement trumps all else.

If you don't want to track....punch both shoulders...

The bullet, gun, scope, rings, bases, and other things are all the easy scape goat for shooter error.

I have been fortunate enough to take a lot of fair chase game. Used sierra, xtp, barnes, cast, and Im sure some others along the way. As long as I did my part meat was in the freezer. If I didn't have meat in the freezer 99.9% of the time it was my fault.

Edited by SacredCrows (11/14/17 11:06 AM)

#186344 - 11/14/17 04:40 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: SacredCrows]
Handgun400
addict

Loc: Arkansas

content Online
I'd take the shot again, same bullet and load, given the chance. Primarily because every hog we kill is one less to take out of the woods. They are vermin.

That being said, I learned (emphasis on learned) the limitations of the XTP through my experience and your input. I originally chose to shoot it because of availability and previous success with their rifle bullets. So now I'm tasked with finding another bullet to shoot. Appreciate all the input and guidance.

#186367 - 11/15/17 11:18 AM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: Zee]
jwp475
old hand

Originally Posted By: Zee
In truth, we will never know. Without a dead body or a firewd bullet we will never know which aspect caused the failure. The bullet for the shooter.

That is not a slight towards either one. Just a fact, that without tangible evidence we will never know. All else is speculation.

There have been enough recovered unmushroomed XTP?s to cause concern. Greg Richter moderator here recovered a 400 grain .475 XTP from a mule deer that didn?t expand. That is bullet failure even with a recovered deer.

#186369 - 11/15/17 03:42 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: jwp475]
H2OBUG
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Louisiana

See below
http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1339&ppuser=2724

Hornady 300 XTP fired from a G2 Contender at roughly 1200 FPS. This bullet passed through a 200 lb +/- hog sholder and stuck in the skin on the far side. Pig dropped in its tracks. These bullets will do their job properly placed.

Edited by H2OBUG (11/15/17 03:44 PM)

#186372 - 11/15/17 05:01 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: H2OBUG]
45MAN
enthusiast

Loc: brownsville, texas

content Online
ALTHOUGH I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY USED XTP's IN THE PAST IN HEAVY 454/45 COLT LOADS, AND STILL USE THEM FOR HEAVY PRACTICE AMMO, YEARS AGO I DECIDED THAT I PREFER TO KNOW WHAT THE BULLET WILL LOOK LIKE WHEN IT HITS AND PENETRATES THE ANIMAL BEFORE I SHOOT THE BULLET! TOO MANY VARIABLES WHEN YOU RELY ON A BULLET TO MUSHROOM, etc., THAT IS WHY WITH THE LARGER BORES, e.g. .429 AND UP, I PREFER TO USE FN BULLETS WITH A GOOD SIZED MEPLAT AND BULLET INTEGRITY TO THE MAX.

#186375 - 11/15/17 07:43 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: 45MAN]
Zee
Pooh-Bah

content Online
More for me.

Win!!!

;-)

#186383 - 11/16/17 12:10 AM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: Zee]
tradmark
Pooh-Bah

Sorry zee, but i have a couple thousand to reload, so ya cant habe em
All.

#186402 - 11/16/17 02:43 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: tradmark]
Handgun400
addict

Loc: Arkansas

content Online
45MAN,
What WFN bullet do you prefer, if one over others?

#186403 - 11/16/17 03:24 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: Handgun400]
45MAN
enthusiast

Loc: brownsville, texas

content Online
FOR DANGEROUS GAME MY 1st CHOICE IS THE PUNCH BULLET. I USED A 45 BARNES BUSTER ON A BLACK BEAR LAST YEAR AND IT DID WELL BUT THE MEPLAT MAY BE A LITTLE TOO SMALL, DO NOT HAVE ENUFF EXPERIENCE WITH THEM OTHER THAN TO SAY THEY ARE WORTH A TRY. THE LEHIGH 300 gr. 45 CAL. WFN BULLET LOOKS VERY GOOD BUT I HAVE NOT USED ANY YET. FOR DEER, PIGS AND SIMILAR SIZED GAME, IN 45 CAL., CAST WFN's IN 260 gr. ON UP SHOULD ALL DO WELL, BUT I WOULD NOT USE THEM ON LARGER GAME BECAUSE THEY CAN BE DEFICIENT IN BULLET INTEGRITY. A CAST 260 gr. WFN @ 900 - 1,400 FPS SHOULD BE MORE THAN ADEQUATE WITH WELL PLACED SHOTS ON DEER. IN THE 900 - 1,100 fps RANGE THEY ARE ALSO PLEASANT TO SHOOT AND DO NOT WEAR YOU OUT. AS FAR AS BRANDS OF CAST WFN's, I HAVE NOT USED ENUFF DIFFERENT KINDS TO SAY ONE IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER.

IN A PRIOR POST THREAD UNDER, AS I RECALL, "THE ORIGIN OF FMJ FLAT POINT BULLETS", WE HAD A LOT OF DISCUSSION RE BULLETS.

Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
10 registered (FA834ME, rob-c, Whitworth, Seminole Wind, KRal, magman) and 73 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
A nerve wracking a
A nerve wracking antelope hunt

The .17 Ackley Bee
The .17 Ackley Bee

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.