Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186288 - 11/13/17 02:40 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: tradmark]
bigmike51
stranger

I am pretty new to handgun hunting and I don?t have experience with the ?old? vs the ?new? xtp?s, but I used a 240gr .454 to try to take down a ram that was getting a little too comfortable around people. Shot that thing in the vitals at damn near 5 yards (we have it on video) and it didn?t even turn and look at me. Shot again, and it just started trotting off with the herd. Last shot into the shoulder finally took it down. I?ve never had a Barnes fail to kill what I was shooting at, be it a small doe or a good sized oryx. That was the first and last time I used an XTP. They?re cheap, but not cheap enough

#186289 - 11/13/17 03:29 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: bigmike51]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

What did the autopsy show from where the first two shots went?

#186293 - 11/13/17 04:47 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: Ernie]
bigmike51
stranger

One shot through the vitals failed to open, just penciled through. Second shot was nothing but small fragments through a narrow wound channel. Both shots in the lungs, but no major vessels hit. Have had similar shots on deer with the barnes that blew almost fist sized holes into the lungs.

#186294 - 11/13/17 04:49 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: tradmark]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Originally Posted By: tradmark

How about the xtp performance on your sika? Onviously dead but how would that translate into a bigger animal.

How would that translate into a bigger animal??? Read on......
South Africa 2014... Every animal besides Cape buff was cleanly taken with the same gun, bullet and velocity as the Texas sika.. hartebeest, nyala, warthog, bushbuck...all bigger...all dead...Florida.. water buff (bovine).. one shot with same gun and bullet...dead...bullet placement...Remember shooting fallow buck at 40 yards with factory 260gr partition by Winchester from 454... neck shot... dead... no one was more surprised then me when expanded partition was sSTOPPED against neck bone...bullet failure??? maybe...depends how you look at it...is the glass half full or half empty?? for me it worked The original post could have a hundred different answers and all would be correct but my choice of bullet has nothing to do with it.....
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#186295 - 11/13/17 05:05 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: bigmike51]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

Originally Posted By: bigmike51
One shot through the vitals failed to open, just penciled through. Second shot was nothing but small fragments through a narrow wound channel. Both shots in the lungs, but no major vessels hit. Have had similar shots on deer with the barnes that blew almost fist sized holes into the lungs.

The first shot acted like a cast bullet then?
Second bullet didn't seem to open either, with the exception of small fragments.

#186296 - 11/13/17 05:23 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: tradmark]
Shootist

Originally Posted By: tradmark
And thats not a call out james. Im working and reread my post. My point is what happened to that bullet on the sika may have been what happened to the blackbuck

What happened to my blackbuck was bad shooting on my part...
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#186297 - 11/13/17 05:36 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: jamesfromjersey]
tradmark
Pooh-Bah

When i say translate to a bigger animal im talking about that exact same bullet used and that exact bullet doing that on a bigger animal. Obviously it worked well many times for ya and thats not the issue. The bullet the gentleman above speaks of worked well for me many many times in the past then had some failures. Its just a discussion about ratio of good to bad and its no different than wvhitmans observations in the aframe thread. No harm no foul.

Neck and spine shots, to me, are different animals and the spine is a tough bone and i have no clue how much a 260 partition weighs after it shed the lead forward of the partition but yeah, i would be super impressed by that. It would make me take note for sure.

Ernie, its been my experience that hollow points that dont open do a poor imitation of cast bullets especially wfns. Illustrated by my sons wt deer last year shot several times thru the vitals with one that clearly didnt open. Didnt do near the damage of a flat nosed cast. Your experiences may vary from mime

#186298 - 11/13/17 05:38 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: jamesfromjersey]
tradmark
Pooh-Bah

It would be interesting to see what had happened since it died and the way it reacted. Guess we will never know exactly where it was hit though those instances make my mind work like the kennedy assasination.

#186299 - 11/13/17 05:55 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Shootist

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
 Originally Posted By: Zee

without tangible evidence we will never know. All else is speculation.

Yes....

#186309 - 11/13/17 10:10 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: tradmark]
hfischer

Loc: Michigan

Never shot a hog. First whitetail I shot with 44 we tracked 400-600 yards. My cousin got out a ziplock bag cause he wanted the heart. We couldn?t find it. Only small pieces of what was left. Was shocked animal could go that with heart blown apart. Only shoot double lung now and all have been recovered within 50 yards.

Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
10 registered (FA834ME, rob-c, Whitworth, Seminole Wind, KRal, magman) and 73 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
6.8 SPC Buck
6.8 SPC Buck

MARCH TO THE BEAT
MARCH TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUM, OR  INSURMOUNTABLE ODDS?

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.039 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.