Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186261 - 11/12/17 08:25 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: karl]
junebug
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bardstown ,Ky

content Online
Was there no time for another shot? If he bucked and spun I would have tried to poke some more holes into him. I of the school that, if he still standing i'm still shooting.Had you of hit bone, hind leg or spine he would have went down at least for a few seconds so possibly no bone hit. Just don't loose confidence in your load or yourself, learn from the experience and move on.

#186262 - 11/12/17 08:26 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: Handgun400]
Zee
Pooh-Bah

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Handgun400
Completely agree Zee. Could have been on my part, I?m far from perfect. But it felt good. I️ ask because there is tons more experience on here than I️ have.

There ain?t a perfect man in this world. Welcome to reality.

#186263 - 11/12/17 09:25 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: Zee]
cherokeetracker
enthusiast

Handgun 400 Since you used the 300 XTP Mag... I am thinking that the hog is dead somewhere and probably already eaten by his friends. NO blood trail does not surprise me one bit. Don't matter if it was 2 holes 1 in and 1 out. Hair mud and fat seem to all work together to plug and cover holes. I have seen hogs with broke legs, or shot off legs take off running. They are not tanks or super animals, but fear, survival instinct, and adrenaline Kick in for a superb performance of tenacity, that amazes the best of them. The pig was not too big for that bullet. JMHO,,, but even if placement was not up to your desired POI, or expectations.... DO not let this slow you down. Do not give up so easy next time. Try to track that animal. You may have been easier surprised than not. Also don't hesitate to take a second shot.

#186264 - 11/12/17 09:28 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: junebug]
Handgun400
addict

Loc: Arkansas

content Online
 Originally Posted By: junebug
Was there no time for another shot? If he bucked and spun I would have tried to poke some more holes into him. I of the school that, if he still standing i'm still shooting.Had you of hit bone, hind leg or spine he would have went down at least for a few seconds so possibly no bone hit. Just don't loose confidence in your load or yourself, learn from the experience and move on.

There was a few seconds when a better man may have squeezed off another shot and hit. Honestly didn?t think he?d even make it past the spin. I?ve killed a bunch but never had one do this. Also, he ran with both hind legs which makes me think the hit was below the spine and above the scrotum. Guess it could have parted the boys too but seemed to be in enter line with no broken hams

#186265 - 11/12/17 09:59 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: Handgun400]
Zee
Pooh-Bah

content Online
Sounds like neither leg, nor the pelvis or spine was compromised.

#186266 - 11/12/17 10:38 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: Zee]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Originally Posted By: Zee

There ain?t a perfect man in this world.

...but there are some who think they are....
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#186267 - 11/12/17 10:42 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: cherokeetracker]
Shootist

Originally Posted By: cherokeetracker
Handgun 400 Since you used the 300 XTP Mag... I am thinking that the hog is dead somewhere and probably already eaten by his friends. NO blood trail does not surprise me one bit. Try to track that animal.
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#186269 - 11/12/17 10:46 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: jamesfromjersey]
reflex264
Pooh-Bah

I have lost count of critters killed with that bullet. As long I have have done my job the bullets worked. I had one fail to expand on a ram once. I believe the thick wool clogged the HP limiting expansion.

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....

#186270 - 11/12/17 10:55 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: Handgun400]
Shootist

Originally Posted By: Handgun400
[\There was a few seconds when a better man may have squeezed off another shot and hit. Honestly didn?t think he?d even make it past the spin. I?ve killed a bunch but never had one do this. Also, he ran with both hind legs which makes me think the hit was below the spine and above the scrotum. Guess it could have parted the boys too but seemed to be in enter line with no broken hams

HG400,Once shot a boar a little bigger then yours with 210gr XTP from S&W 657.... BANG... he dropped on the spot dead...at least I thought he did...as I walk toward him he jumps up and takes off. Fired a shot that just caught back leg...no stop.... chased that son of a bitch until I could finish... found the first shot was below spine but above lungs...."no mans land".... It can be difficult to get off a 2nd shot especially when you think it`s not needed... One thing I do know is that next time you will be ready for a second shot whether or not its needed....Just like you, I learn something new on each new kill....

#186271 - 11/12/17 11:07 PM Re: Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet concerns [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Zee
Pooh-Bah

content Online
Funny, I️ use the same phrase ?no mans land? to describe above the lungs and below the spine.

Great minds and all.

Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
10 registered (FA834ME, rob-c, Whitworth, Seminole Wind, KRal, magman) and 73 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
Smith & Wesson Mod
Smith & Wesson Model 57 Classic

My Best Boar
My Best Boar

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.039 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.