Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186134 - 11/08/17 09:02 AM Re: The Standard For Accuracy [Re: spinsail]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: spinsail
Whitworth, I've read your book so I know you generally don't hunt with a scope on your revolver but those that will do 1" at 50 with a red dot, do you know what they can do with a scope?

I don't expect to do much better (in my case) as I don't really shoot groups better with a scope -- or rather I haven't experienced much of an improvement switching to a scope. To be fair, however, I haven't switched to a scope on many of my big-bores to see if things will improve. I can imagine that with a rest, most folks will shoot tighter groups with a scope. I tend to shoot tighter groups with a red dot for some unexplainable and probably illogical reason.

Which one of my books did you read?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

#186135 - 11/08/17 09:16 AM Re: The Standard For Accuracy [Re: Whitworth]
spinsail

Loc: SC

The "Gun Digest Book Of Hunting Revolvers".

It got me so excited I bought a SW 629 .44 magnum revolver. Then I put a red dot on it (which I hunted with yesterday).

Talk about unexplainable and illogical stuff, I seem to be in a trend of selling off long guns and buying handguns suitable for hunting, including single shots. I want a single action next in 45 Colt but I want an accurate one and can't spend what a FA costs.

#186137 - 11/08/17 09:27 AM Re: The Standard For Accuracy [Re: spinsail]
BushytailBasher
enthusiast

Loc: Chillicothe, ohio

Adding to what I said before if I can't get 1 inch groups at 50 yards with almost any handgun I lose interest and will probably sale it.... I like accuracy and if I don't have minute of Pepsi can absolute minimum then im good

#186138 - 11/08/17 09:30 AM Re: The Standard For Accuracy [Re: spinsail]
Whitworth
Shootist

The "Gun Digest Book Of Hunting Revolvers".

It got me so excited I bought a SW 629 .44 magnum revolver. Then I put a red dot on it (which I hunted with yesterday).

Talk about unexplainable and illogical stuff, I seem to be in a trend of selling off long guns and buying handguns suitable for hunting, including single shots. I want a single action next in 45 Colt but I want an accurate one and can't spend what a FA costs.

I would consider a BFR in your case. Priced right and typically accurate to a fault.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

#186143 - 11/08/17 12:15 PM Re: The Standard For Accuracy [Re: Whitworth]
TN Lone Wolf
Shooting Master

Loc: Martin, Tennessee

My S&W Model 460 surprised me the last time I shot it:

Five shots, .910" at 100 yards off a benchrest. The load was 200 grain Barnes XPBs over 46.0 grains of Accurate No.9. I would have been perfectly content with a group twice that size at that range.

This probably isn't the best standard to hold a revolver to, though. My 460 is more akin to a specialty pistol than a revolver in terms of size and shooting requirements.

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

#186158 - 11/08/17 08:03 PM Re: The Standard For Accuracy [Re: TN Lone Wolf]
spinsail

Loc: SC

Whitworth, I may be jumping to conclusions, but from the photos in your book it seems you may favor shorter barrels on your revolvers. Do you find this helps with the good accuracy you get?

If I can go a little off topic on my own thread, what are the factors that lead you to decide on a particular barrel length?

#186164 - 11/08/17 11:13 PM Re: The Standard For Accuracy [Re: spinsail]
BushytailBasher
enthusiast

Loc: Chillicothe, ohio

Well I can't answer for Whit but mine is legality which is minimum 5 inches here and how it carries and handles. Personally I like the feel and packing of 4 5/8 and it still shoots plenty good but its not legal for deer here. If you need barrel length solely for power you need a bigger cartridge...

#186169 - 11/09/17 08:52 AM Re: The Standard For Accuracy [Re: spinsail]
Whitworth
Shootist

Whitworth, I may be jumping to conclusions, but from the photos in your book it seems you may favor shorter barrels on your revolvers. Do you find this helps with the good accuracy you get?

If I can go a little off topic on my own thread, what are the factors that lead you to decide on a particular barrel length?

Even when I have an optic on a revolver, I prefer a shorter barrel. I like 5 1/2-inches and shorter on a single-action. For me, it still needs to be packable and is the whole essence of handgun hunting. The shorter barrels have no bearing on accuracy. Some folks have trouble with the shorter sight radius when using open irons, but there is nothing inherently less accurate about a shorter barrel.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

#186170 - 11/09/17 08:53 AM Re: The Standard For Accuracy [Re: TN Lone Wolf]
Whitworth
Shootist

Originally Posted By: TN Lone Wolf
My S&W Model 460 surprised me the last time I shot it:

Five shots, .910" at 100 yards off a benchrest. The load was 200 grain Barnes XPBs over 46.0 grains of Accurate No.9. I would have been perfectly content with a group twice that size at that range.

This probably isn't the best standard to hold a revolver to, though. My 460 is more akin to a specialty pistol than a revolver in terms of size and shooting requirements.

That's just a really accurate revolver, an accurate load, and great shooting. All the necessary elements are aligned here. You've done really well - keep it up!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

#186180 - 11/09/17 06:32 PM Re: The Standard For Accuracy [Re: spinsail]
reflex264
Pooh-Bah

content Online

Edited by reflex264 (11/09/17 06:34 PM)

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
16 registered (Mech 8, s4s4u, Dino, tradmark, karl, Muddy) and 71 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
Kudu Dreaming
Kudu Dreaming

454 Eland
454 Eland

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.036 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.