Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#186073 - 11/06/17 03:41 AM Field Carry of Break Action Handguns
Bob Roach
addict

Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Front View

Side View
I had mentioned in another post about using a Boyt Harness Contender Case with 4 Dee's added to the Loop Handles to attach a carry strap to carry Contenders or the Scout handguns. I had requests for a picture of this case, so here it is.

Bob

#186076 - 11/06/17 06:29 AM Re: Field Carry of Break Action Handguns [Re: Bob Roach]
spinsail

Loc: SC

content Online
I can't tell from the picture, do the D rings slide or are they fixed to a set point on the straps? If fixed, how did you fix them in place.

#186078 - 11/06/17 01:04 PM Re: Field Carry of Break Action Handguns [Re: Bob Roach]
Gregg Richter Moderator
Shooting Master

Loc: Pine, Colorado

Bob,

This is a great method that I have used since the 80's; I wrote an article in THE SIXGUNNER about how to modify a standard case along with a picture of my girlfriend modeling it. I also add a bullet holder and a Velcro safety strap on the end.

When you are stalking an animal, if you have to go down on your knees or worse yet do the dreaded belly crawl it gives great protection to the pistol; I have many times slid the case ahead of me on dry ground as well as snow.

It works on a saddle also.

I suspect it would also work good for bolt action pistols like the Weatherby or the Remington XP-100 if the case was big enough to accommodate the bolt handle.

The only man smarter than a wise old coyote is the one that gets him.

#186091 - 11/06/17 08:28 PM Re: Field Carry of Break Action Handguns [Re: Gregg Richter]
Bob Roach
addict

Spinsail I will get a picture of the Dee's as soon as we get some light for a picture. It has been heavily overcast the last couple days here.

Gregg are you having yours custom made??
By the way your model is much better looking than mine.

I have 3 Boyt Contender cases, and one custom made for my 480 SRH. It was made using a Boyt Counter Matt, which is constructed with the same fabric and padding used on the Cases.
I like ordering from Midway, however they are now only carrying the ugly Black version of this case. My next order, I will go to another source for an OD Green one.

Bob

Edited by Bob Roach (11/06/17 08:30 PM)

#186094 - 11/07/17 02:06 AM Re: Field Carry of Break Action Handguns [Re: Bob Roach]
Gregg Richter Moderator
Shooting Master

Loc: Pine, Colorado

Bob, No, I did the modifications myself.

Thank you, they took me a lot of time.

I contacted two different companies back then that made gun cases and neither one was interested in my idea.

The only man smarter than a wise old coyote is the one that gets him.

#186140 - 11/08/17 10:48 AM Re: Field Carry of Break Action Handguns [Re: Gregg Richter]
TN Lone Wolf
Shooting Master

Loc: Martin, Tennessee

content Online
Those look like they're pretty handy.

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

#186386 - 11/16/17 01:54 AM Re: Field Carry of Break Action Handguns [Re: TN Lone Wolf]
Bob Roach
addict

This Dee is sewn directly to the Boyt Handle with waxed nylon thread. Simple, and does not require a sewing machine.

This case has 1" OD webbing attaching the Dee's to the Boyt Loop Handles.

A better view of the OD webbing attachment of Dee's to the handles. When the Dee's are sewn directly to the handles they are placed in the same location so that the Sling Clip can attach to both Dee's.

Not the best pictures, but they should be clear enough to figure out how the Dee's are attached to the handles.

Bob

#186393 - 11/16/17 08:26 AM Re: Field Carry of Break Action Handguns [Re: Bob Roach]
Teep
journeyman

Loc: MO

content Online
Thanks for the photos. I had a holster built for a Contender years ago that had a scope on it and found it very awkward to draw. I've been looking for a holster to carry a Smith revolver with a red dot for over a year and have not found anything I like. I've been using a nylon holster I modified and wearing it as a cross draw but when hunting with a coat on it doesn't work well. Now after seeing your bags I think I will try taking a handgun case and make a shoulder bag. As my days of fast draw are long past (I carried a Single-Six in a low slung western rig to hunt rabbits long ago) I think a shoulder bag might work well for hunting small game as well as larger game.

#186415 - 11/16/17 09:57 PM Re: Field Carry of Break Action Handguns [Re: Teep]
Ramjet-SS
enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin North East

double diamond holsters for a great well made handi holster

#186424 - 11/17/17 10:27 AM Re: Field Carry of Break Action Handguns [Re: Ramjet-SS]
Teep
journeyman

Loc: MO

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Ramjet-SS
double diamond holsters for a great well made handi holster

I looked at their website and noticed the drop loop the sell, had not seen one of them before. The drop loop would put the holster below a coat very nicely. Didn't like the price of their gear although it looks nicely made.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
10 registered (FA834ME, rob-c, Whitworth, Seminole Wind, KRal, magman) and 73 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
Gerry and Mike's E
Gerry and Mike's Elk Hunting adventure

The Three P's Of H
The Three P's Of Handgun Hunting

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.037 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.