Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185228 - 10/19/17 09:40 AM Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: reflex264]
BKS
journeyman

Loc: North East Arkansas

This is my favorite forum thanks for letting me in.
Monday was my first of many, handgun only hunts.

#185240 - 10/19/17 12:16 PM Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: 45MAN]
Randy M

Loc: New Braunfels, TX

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HANDGUN HUNTER DENSITY IS ELSEWHERE BUT IT SEEMS TO BE EXTREMELY LOW IN DEEP SOUTH TEXAS, AND WE USUALLY DO NOT KNOW OF EACH OTHER, SO WE HANDGUN HUNTERS NEED A SITE LIKE THIS TO HAVE SOMEONE TO TALK TO. IF YOU POST A PICTURE ON THE "BRAGGING BOARD" ITS NOT BRAGGING, ITS JUST TALKING TO YOUR BUDDIES. I WANT TO SEE WHAT GUNS GUYS HAVE, WHAT THEY HAVE TAKEN, WHERE AND HOW, etc. ONE YEAR I KILLED 2 MATURE 6 POINT WH BUCKS WITH MY JRH MODIFIED 5 1/2 INCH SS RUGER BISLEY IN 45 COLT WITH OPEN SIGHTS, ONE OF MY BEST DEER SEASONS EVER, AND I HAVE SHOT SOME BIG ASS, HIGH SCORING DEER, SO YES, TAKE 'EM WITH A HANDGUN AND YOU GOT BRAGGING RIGHTS, SO LET US KNOW ABOUT THEM.

Hey 45man, I'm in New Braunfels now but grew up in Sinton/Corpus area. You're right about the HH density. I did manage to get one of my lease mates to drink the koolaid though.

Hope to meet you one day.

Randy

#185365 - 10/22/17 09:41 AM Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: Randy M]
cfish2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Eastern NC

I know I've told this story before butttttt. So in college at Colorado State university 1981. Ventured into a gun shop that catered to black powder enthusiasts. There I found a replica 1858 remington cap and ball revolver. A buddy from my dorm was with me. He had 2 cap and ball revolvers. We went out that weekend and did some jack rabbit hunting. When the first real snow came we ventured up into the foothills and deep draws hunting snow shoe hares. Haven't picked up a rifle to hunt with since. Still have fun shooting them in 3 gun matches etc but when I leave the house I always carry 2 handguns. My SKS customized 308 encore and what ever wheel gun I feel like. My wife has her shoes. I have my handguns lol.
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member

#185784 - 10/30/17 01:56 PM Re: For newbies and lurkers [Re: cfish2]
AZShaun
stranger

Loc: Arizona

I am not a good hunter. I have always wanted to try it but never had the opportunity or someone to teach me. Deer hunting is a dream. So, teaching myself to hunt is my only option. That being said, below is my first successful hunt in my life. I used my little pocket 22LR a Taurus PT22. I carry that gun with me almost everywhere. How many can say their first kill was with their carry gun? But I digress. I don't participate much because frankly I don't know what I am doing. I am convinced Fish and Game aee lying to us about game in the desert, or I got the last 2 rabbits, as my second successful hunt was with my 6.5in Ruger Blackhawk 41... but it kind of blew up the rabbit. Anyway, here is the story:

So, I finally was able to go out again. Being the summer and sun rise coming up early, I left the house at 5am. Sunrise was due in 20 minutes... just enough time for me to get to Four Peaks road and find a spot.

I have my Taurus PT22 which I carry everywhere, my 41 magnum, and a box of 50 reloads I have been trying out. 215 hardcast swc under 20.5 grains Ramshot enforcer.

So I find my spot... get out of the car with my 41 ready. Start walking the desert... slowly... navigating around the plethora of cactus... going down one ravine and up the other... I see a hawk flying and land on a Saguaro cactus a few yards away. Other than that all is still except for the bugs being annoying... finally I turn right... figure I can go up the hill and see what's on the other side... remembering a friend said sometimes they can't hear you when you do that...

I get to the top of the hill and there are some cactus patches... a cottontail jumps out and scampers up ahead. 1st sign of any life outside of a rabbit taunting me just as I turn off the highway. So, I briefly go to my 41 but decide... it is really close... I better try my edc. See what happens. Sure enough I get into a clearing in the patch of cactus and about 10 ft in front of me is the cottontail hiding in another cactus. I line up my small sites and fire... missed! I stay still as it scampers to my left into the open... as I watch it stops about 18 feet away... so I line up again... one more shot and send a 38 grain hp through him. In about 10 seconds he stops moving. No expansion that I can tell... but completely pass through. Entered right behind the left rib cage and exited right before the other front leg on he right.

So my first successful kill was with my edc .22lr from a pocket pistol.