Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184987 - 10/15/17 05:25 PM Re: a-frame accuracy [Re: jamesfromjersey]
cfish2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Eastern NC

James, going to order the .357 180 a frames for the 357 mag and the 300gr 45 for the 45 colt bisley hunter. Should make for good whitetail and hog ammo.
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member

#185020 - 10/16/17 09:41 AM Re: a-frame accuracy [Re: cfish2]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

content Online
 Originally Posted By: cfish2
Whit, what base is that on your handgun? I don't like the ruger rings on my 45 colt bisley hunter. Looking for a more secure base.

That is a Weigand no drill, no tap base that was made specifically for the .454 and .480 Ruger Super Blackhawks with a 6 1/2-inch barrel.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

#185577 - 10/26/17 09:29 PM Re: a-frame accuracy [Re: jamesfromjersey]
MrMcPorkchop
journeyman

Loc: CA

content Online
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
PS.... Eric, I have to ask why you use the heading of
"Mr. McPorkchop"??? Sounds GREAT....
\:\)

James,

Well since you asked nicely, one of my wife's friends was joking one day about some chiseled guy that walked by that was, in her words, "A big hunk of man meat". I told the friend she shouldn't objectify that poor guy, and that she doesn't know what it's like for us fine specimens of utter manliness to walk down the street with women lusting after us...

We all had a good laugh because I work a field job that requires long pants long sleeves and boots, so I don't get a ton of sun on my legs, and have a farmers tan, and I used to be a tall slender guy, so not only am I not particularly chiseled, I'm fairly pale when not wearing a shirt or in a pair of shorts. So when my wife's friend finished laughing she said well if he is Mr. ManMeat you must be Mr.McPorkchop, being pale white like a porkchop but like a cheap low quality knockoff McDonald's version that only resembles it in name.

Since then the name sort of stuck and my wife calls me that all the time, in a good natured way. I think.

Eric.

#185610 - 10/27/17 03:26 PM Re: a-frame accuracy [Re: MrMcPorkchop]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Eric, I would have expected nothing less...... Thanks for taking the time...
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#185699 - 10/29/17 12:40 PM Re: a-frame accuracy [Re: Gary]
Mikewin
enthusiast

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden

In my humble .44 magnum experience, the A-frame is clearly more accurate than the XTP in similar weights and velocities, but much more expensive and the theoretical terminal ballistics (i.e. in wet newsprint) are definitively comparable. I've never used an A-frame on game but have used XTPs many times - on deer-sized game, that is - and they have never failed me. Would not use an XTP on elk or moose though, as they have bones and joints that can be very tough.

Originally Posted By: Gary
I'm not a fan of XTP's at all. I rarely see one that hasn't shed the jacket & core if it hits anything of substance. The A-frame is the best bullet out there right now IMHO.

#185702 - 10/29/17 02:57 PM Re: a-frame accuracy [Re: jamesfromjersey]
MrMcPorkchop
journeyman

content Online
Was re-reading this thread this morning while having my coffee and have talked myself into ordering some of the A-Frames for my 357 Mag.

I already have some 158 XTP's loaded up that my GP100 shoots very well, but I'm eager to see how the 180 gr. A-Frames shoot, as I generally prefer heavy for caliber bullets, and the A-Frames look to be a good blend of expansion and penetration based on everyone's success with them.

Eric.

#185837 - 10/30/17 11:52 PM Re: a-frame accuracy [Re: Mikewin]
MrMcPorkchop
journeyman

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Mikewin
...Would not use an XTP on elk or moose though, as they have bones and joints that can be very tough...

If you're going to use an XTP, and not an A-Frame or Barnes, once you get to game as big and big-boned as elk and moose, I'd strongly recommend using the XTP-MAG. They have a much thicker jacket than the standard XTP and are rated for much higher velocities.

Eric.

#185845 - 10/31/17 09:45 AM Re: a-frame accuracy [Re: MrMcPorkchop]
Whitworth
Shootist

content Online
 Originally Posted By: MrMcPorkchop
 Originally Posted By: Mikewin
...Would not use an XTP on elk or moose though, as they have bones and joints that can be very tough...

If you're going to use an XTP, and not an A-Frame or Barnes, once you get to game as big and big-boned as elk and moose, I'd strongly recommend using the XTP-MAG. They have a much thicker jacket than the standard XTP and are rated for much higher velocities.

Eric.

I have seen the XTP Mags fail pretty miserably over the last couple of years. I would go with the A-frame personally.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

#186080 - 11/06/17 02:55 PM Re: a-frame accuracy [Re: Whitworth]
wheelguns
addict

Loc: Western Montana

In 2013 I posted a group I shot with the 325gr. a-frame out of my FA in 454 that was 11/16" @ 100 yards. Yep I'd say they're accurate.

#186081 - 11/06/17 03:20 PM Re: a-frame accuracy [Re: wheelguns]
Whitworth
Shootist

content Online
 Originally Posted By: wheelguns
In 2013 I posted a group I shot with the 325gr. a-frame out of my FA in 454 that was 11/16" @ 100 yards. Yep I'd say they're accurate.

I would say you're accurate as well!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
10 registered (FA834ME, rob-c, Whitworth, Seminole Wind, KRal, magman) and 73 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
Buffalo - with a h
Buffalo - with a handgun

King of the Woods
King of the Woods

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.