Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182914 - 08/27/17 04:18 PM Re: PACKING IRON [Re: jamesfromjersey]
mart
journeyman

Loc: Wasilla, Alaska

James,

It has seen a few miles that's for sure. And it came to me already with plenty of experience, or at least time in a holster. The Micro Sight added to it tells me the previous owner may have been more than just a casual user.

Not to get this thread too far off track from leather but I bought it shortly after we were married 26 years ago. I was working seasonally for the Forest Service, about 7-8 months a year and trapping professionally in the winter. It was a great life. Not much money but we got by and had a little left at the end of each month.

I needed a good little sidearm for dispatching furbearers. I had a little 1902 single shot Winchester I was using to dispatch animals but worried that modern ammo might be too much for it and retired it. A friend had a small gun shop and that little SS was in the display. He let me put it on lay away while I grabbed every extra hour of fire patrol and wildfire fighting OT I could get. I got it paid off in time for trapping season and it has been with me ever since. It has dispatched enough coyotes to sink a barge.

I once put it in the Ransom Rest just to see how it fared. I knew it was a shooter but was shocked when the old yellow box Winchester put six into one ragged hole at 25 yards. I carry it often when I'm moose and caribou hunting to harvest the occasional ptarmigan and snowshoe. It's one that will stay with me to the end. It deserves a nicer holster than that old Hunter and maybe a full refurbish. I at one time considered doing a 38 Special #5 on it but can't bring myself to change it.
Mart

#182915 - 08/27/17 05:27 PM Re: PACKING IRON [Re: mart]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

that`s a story for Field & Stream.......
shooting the Win. ammo like that makes it a keeper for sure... a perfect candidate for "one gun" situation......
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#182916 - 08/27/17 06:06 PM Re: PACKING IRON [Re: Handgun400]
45MAN
old hand

Loc: brownsville, texas

WENT TO A GUN SHOW LAST WEEK, 1 DEALER HAD ABOUT 100 HANDGUNS, ALL SEMI-AUTOS, NO REVOLVERS. AS FOR HOLSTERS, MOSTLY NYLON AND OTHER SYNTHETICS, AND MOSTLY FOR SEMI-AUTOS. ONCE IN A WHILE YOU SEE "CUSTOM" LEATHER HOLSTER MAKERS AT THE LOCAL SHOW, REAL CLUNKY LOOKING STUFF, NOT FOR ME. THE YOUNGER GUYS ARE ALL IN TO BLACK GUNS, SEMI-AUTO PISTOLS AND TACTICAL ACCROUTEMENTS. NICE TO FIND LIKE MINDED PISTOLEROS ON THIS WEBSITE.

AND YES MART, GOOD GUNS AND GOOD HOLSTERS ARE TO BE USED AND ENJOYED.

#182917 - 08/27/17 07:03 PM Re: PACKING IRON [Re: 45MAN]
Shootist

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
THE YOUNGER GUYS ARE ALL IN TO BLACK GUNS, SEMI-AUTO PISTOLS AND TACTICAL ACCROUTEMENTS.

This is why I stopped my Shooting Times and Guns & Ammo subscription....
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#182918 - 08/27/17 07:23 PM Re: PACKING IRON [Re: jamesfromjersey]
mart
journeyman

Some of the shooters in my circle are surprised to find despite being a LE handgun and tactical shotgun instructor, I don't own any black guns other than one Glock 22. And that's because we train on and carry that weapon. When I retire it'll probably go by the wayside and I'll only carry my beloved revolvers.

I'm far happier with blued steel, nice grips, and fine leather. I don't mind the occasional stainless steel revolver. As long as it has nice grips and is housed in nice leather.

Edited by mart (08/27/17 07:25 PM)

#182919 - 08/27/17 07:58 PM Re: PACKING IRON [Re: mart]
Handgun400
addict

Loc: Arkansas

Originally Posted By: mart
Some of the shooters in my circle are surprised to find despite being a LE handgun and tactical shotgun instructor, I don't own any black guns other than one Glock 22. And that's because we train on and carry that weapon. When I retire it'll probably go by the wayside and I'll only carry my beloved revolvers.

I'm far happier with blued steel, nice grips, and fine leather. I don't mind the occasional stainless steel revolver. As long as it has nice grips and is housed in nice leather.

Mart,
I spent a couple of decades training with black guns too. By the time I had been in the field for 10-12 years my Glock 22 came so natural to carry that I all but gave up my long guns for handgun hunting. I still own a couple, ok several, black guns but my heart is in the wheel gun and specialty pistol arena. They bring something to the table that few other things do for me.

#182920 - 08/27/17 08:27 PM Re: PACKING IRON [Re: Handgun400]
mart
journeyman

Sorry for derailing this leather thread. To make up for my indiscretion how about a picture of the gun belt I'm considering. The belt is a Lawrence and the holster a Hunter. The holster needs some restitching but the belt is in nice shape.

In all the holsters I've owned, I've never had a gun belt like this. Duty belts yes, but a gun belt with cartridge loops, no.

I'm weighing whether it will be practical or not. I guess I should just buy it and see how it works for me.

#182921 - 08/27/17 08:57 PM Re: PACKING IRON [Re: mart]
45MAN
old hand

AFTER YEARS OF HYPE AND COVER TO COVER COVERAGE IN THE GUN SLICKS I SUCCUMBED AND BLEW SOME MONEY ON AN AR (A ROCK RIVER COYOTE SPECIAL OR SOMETHING), IT GAVE ME A SOFT ON. HAVE SHOT IT AT THE RANGE BUT HAVE NEVER TAKEN IT A FIELD.

MART: MY ROUGHOUT MONEY BELTS HAVE 24 BULLET LOOPS, AND WITH A LITTLE LUCK MAYBE I COULD REACH A FEW OF THEM, FOR ME THEY ARE OVERKILL AND I JUST CARRY 6 OR 7 ROUNDS. IF I WAS GOING TO BUY A NEW GUN BELT IT WOULD HAVE NO BULLET LOOPS AND I WOULD JUST RELY ON A BULLET SLIDE OR 2.

#182925 - 08/28/17 02:46 AM Re: PACKING IRON [Re: 45MAN]
Shootist

forgot to post this holster made by a good friend for me to carry my TLA #5....below: same holster with Gallagher 475... both 5 1/2" single actions fit..... bottom:
I have a soft spot for flap holsters and after seeing an old ad from a 1920`s NRA mag for a Heiser flap holster I had a copy made for my FA`s 44 mag....the darker brown leather color was caused by the lighting when I took the photo........

#182928 - 08/28/17 06:45 AM Re: PACKING IRON [Re: jamesfromjersey]
45MAN
old hand

VERY NICE LEATHER AND GUNS JAMES. I AM AMBIVALENT ABOUT FLAP HOLSTERS BECAUSE THEY HIDE THE GUN AND I DO NOT USUALLY SEEK THEM OUT. ON KNIFE SHEATHS, SINCE I AM RIGHT HANDED AND CARRY MY REVOLVERS ON THE RIGHT, WHENEVER I ORDERED A CUSTOM KNIFE I WOULD ALWAYS ASK FOR A LEFT SIDE SHEATH.

Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Chance Weldon, jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
1 registered (rwg375) and 100 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
Gregg Richter
Chance Weldon
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
.500 Muley Buck
.500 Muley Buck

375 Winchester
375 Winchester

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.037 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.