Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182383 - 08/06/17 11:58 AM Fixed or Variable
longhunter
enthusiast

Loc: Butler, Missouri

Just curious, do you prefer a fix or variable magnification on your scope and what power magnification do you prefer.

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors"

#182385 - 08/06/17 12:14 PM Re: Fixed or Variable [Re: longhunter]
Zee
Pooh-Bah

Depends on the cartridge and the platform.

I use both fixed and variable pistol scopes as well as fixed and variable rifle scopes in handguns.

#182392 - 08/06/17 02:15 PM Re: Fixed or Variable [Re: Zee]
pab1
Distinguished Expert

Loc: SW Montana

Originally Posted By: Zee
Depends on the cartridge and the platform.

I use both fixed and variable pistol scopes as well as fixed and variable rifle scopes in handguns.

X2!

On revolvers I usually prefer more compact 2X scopes. On Contender/Encore barrels I usually use variables (2-6 or 2-7). I do have several Contender/Encore barrels with fixed power scopes though. In rounds with heavy recoil I'm more likely to use a fixed power scope.

#182395 - 08/06/17 03:34 PM Re: Fixed or Variable [Re: pab1]
Handgun400
addict

Loc: Arkansas

Yup. I've got both for different situations and set-ups.

#182397 - 08/06/17 04:00 PM Re: Fixed or Variable [Re: Handgun400]
TN Lone Wolf
Shooting Master

Loc: Martin, Tennessee

I personally prefer a variable scope for versatility. Not a fan of 2x power scopes, although I think I could get by with a 4x power scope if it came down to it. My #1 choice is the Nikon Force XR 2.5-8x model.

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling

#182401 - 08/06/17 06:34 PM Re: Fixed or Variable [Re: TN Lone Wolf]
billa
addict

Loc: Central PA

I have several in both flavors. My personal favorite for all around hunting use is the Bushnell Elite 2 x 6 variable. A fixed 2x is fine on traditional revolvers for woods hunting. With the variables I always carry on 2x and crank it up if needed for a longer shot.
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#182406 - 08/06/17 09:36 PM Re: Fixed or Variable [Re: pab1]
PsTaN
enthusiast

Loc: Alabama

Quote:
On revolvers I usually prefer more compact 2X scopes. On Contender/Encore barrels I usually use variables (2-6 or 2-7).

This.

-Gen3 Glock 20
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"

#182411 - 08/07/17 04:16 AM Re: Fixed or Variable [Re: PsTaN]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

a curious incident took place on three different occasions while hunting. The make and caliber of the guns used does not matter because it was after each of the three hunts that I noticed my variable scope was set around 5X... Each time I start a hunt my variable is set at 2X and when I located an animal I turned up the power to a comfortable setting which on each of the three different hunts was right on or near 5X....This was on my mind enough for me to locate and purchase a discontinued fixed 5X Burris.... Now I`am not going to say that a five power LER scope is the answer for all hunting.... but I will say that if your in the market for a fixed power scope, to buy well made 4X and the same if you want a variable. Get the best you can afford... Outside of a .22, all my scoped handguns carry either Leupold or Burris variable in the 2-8X range.....PS- I have yet to mount the fixed 5X..... The photo shows a 2.5-8X Leupold mounted on a FA`s 475 during Cape buff watch. The power is on 2X......
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#182515 - 08/11/17 09:46 PM Re: Fixed or Variable [Re: jamesfromjersey]
BBwheelgunner
veteran

Loc: Olympic Penninsula, WA

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, just depends what works for you. That being said, it can be expensive to experiment!

I started with variables on my revolvers, and now am running Luepold fixed 2x on both of them and am liking it a lot. I can see where a 4x could be a better choice in certain situations, but for a lot of my hunting situations the 2x has been nice. Maybe I need to get another gun to put a 4x on!

I like the compact size and light weight of the fixed scopes on the wheelguns, I find that in the "moment" I am not distracted by dials to turn the power up for a better picture, but instead focused on the crosshair and where it needs to go. I think there is something to be said for the durability of fixed powers also. I have had my share of troubles with variables(they were both Burris) and was looking for a tried and true answer that I know can hold up to recoil and be dependable.

There are many very experienced folks on here that have a ton of knowledge to share, and many of them may have differing opinions than mine. that's OK, I may get there some day
;\)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
0 registered and 77 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
Maine bobcat
Maine bobcat

Best Contender Bar
Best Contender Barrels - Custom or Factory?

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.